In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Favor C-ration?

11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
Mine was the "spiced beef", but I noticed EVER piece of meat in there had a hunk of gristle on it! Like some pet food place trimmed their meat and sold the trimming to some military contractor. *G* The one thing I hated most was the dreaded "fruit cake" ...only found one guy that liked that SSG. Trickle and I don't think he hated any C ration. I personally saw him going thru the garbage looking for cans of C's and normally found alot of fruit cake!
Those were the days ...eh? *L*

Comments

• hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beanie Weenies......yum...yum.......
  • EdustEdust Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only had to eat them for a month or so, they put up mess tents and served hot meals. My least favorite C's was the Lima beans.
    Being in a Motortransport company we had it alot easier then most of the troops.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Mine was "Ham Sliced with Juices"
    I used to put some water in a canteen cup and stick a small piece of C-4 on the bottom and light it. After about three or four pieces the water would boil and I would add some of the rice I scavenged from the caches we were destroying. Let it sit for 5 min. and then stick another piece of C-4 on it. After 5 or 6 applications of C-4 the rice would be cooked and I would add the ham and juices and one (only one) of those little red peppers that grew on the edge of the jungle clearings.
    I didn't get to do it more than a couple of times but it sure made me think about being back in Manhattans' "Chinatown".
    Aside from that fond memory.... C-rats sucked.
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    Any box that had fruit in it! B-1a or B-3a units. Ham and mofo`s were the worst!
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I second the beanie weenies.I liked the peanut butter if it was not so old the oil had seperated from it.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham & Eggs..
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beanie- weenies- and save the fruit and b-2 crackers for breakfast. Personally preferred LRRP rations to C's. Anyone here ever get a copy of the Charlie Ration Cookbook? James L. McIlheny Company (makers of tobasco) used to send one to any GI that asked. All recipes used items from C-Rats. The recipe for fudge used the chocolate disks, peanut butter, instant cream and sugar. Pretty darned good!
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    After all those years, I can't remember the meals all that clearly anymore. I recall I liked the B-1 and B-2 dessert units, and we used to fight over the canned peaches! My wife still buys me canned peaches as a treat. I recall the crackers were hard but okay, the jelly so-so, and the peanut butter sucked. But some of those meals were pretty old.

We'd open up the boxes as soon as we went on patrol, and heat the cans on the tops of the boat engines. Good memories, but I don't miss C-rats.
  • rayray2jsrayray2js Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beans and meatballs.

Very filling. Heated in a canteen cup with C-4. Canned cheese melted into it. Tabasco sauce.

Also looked forward to peaches, poundcake, and pecan roll.

Least favorite: ham and eggs, datenut bread.
  • pdhunterpdhunter Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the fruit was great so was the P.B. but the s--t paper was the best !
    The biggest shock of my life came when I saw the MFG. date was before I was born . got over that on the 2nd day.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Eggs and Lima Beans [8D] I also liked the Date Nut Pudding. It is not a pudding [xx(]
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys really mean there were more than 3 types? Meat and hash,
    meat and stew, meat and beans??? Just kidding guys. About the last 2 or 3 months of WW 2 we finally got two more types. Not often though.
    The cigarettes were the best thing though along with the big tin of powdered coffee which would make a whole canteen cup of potent coffee
    before they went to the wimpy little package of coffee.
  • Ndn OutlawNdn Outlaw Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beenie wennies and loved them John Wayne chocolates.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The absolute worst was the powdered coffee, tht had vitamin C in it. Gawd, it really was undrinkable. The fruit cake was pretty bad. If it could be choked down it stayed in the stomache until next week. The beenie-weenies, ham-n-eggs, and the pound cake were good. The little packs of Lucky Strike cigarettes were good. I liked the Army green books of matches. Bergtreffer.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The turkey loaf wasn't bad, if you didn't have beenie weenies.
    W.D.
  • rcbsmanrcbsman Member Posts: 63 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Favirites pound cake and peaches rcbsman
  • 00Z5S00Z5S Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evidently none of y'all ever dined on the PIR's which we fed our CIDG. Some of the meal packets were good but not the squid. And stay the hell away from that packet of hot peppers!
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Hated all c-rations. Never did acquire a taste for any of them. Had to eat them but never liked them. Can anyone tell me what kind of meat that was in those things. I don't know about you guys but who could wipe your butt on that little pack of toilet paper? Maybe my butt is bigger than most but I never could get the job done right with those little packs. If you ever saw me I always had a roll on me. I spent half my tour running to the head. (never eat the fish sauce) LMAO[}:)]

k_rats_2.jpg
  • 39chevy39chevy Member Posts: 199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the boned shredded chicken wasn't all that bad..a pinch of c4 to heat it up..same with the sliced ham but that made you thirsty as hell..the rest pretty much sucked
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    Beef stew. Everyone wanted the fruit coctail, but I liked the pears. The cheese and crackers were ok too.[8D]
    When you are tired, cold, and hungry they were all good![;)]
  • sarge22853sarge22853 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beans and weenies, pears, ham and (m
    F
    )if I wanted a "fox hole" to myself. Salem Cigs for trading with the locals (being nice cause it's Christmas)
  • Blackhorse ZO6Blackhorse ZO6 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Beans & weenies ,turkey & ham wasn't bad . The crackers sucked the pound cake was good the left overs was a pot luck stew. I never liked K rations @#$#$#$#$#
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't have to eat many C-rats, but did eat some LRRPs. About the only thing that made me gag was anything labeled "pork" because it inevitably turned out to be a hockey puck of lard - no meat in it that I ever found.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Ham and eggs, which were about pureed, but tasty, with beanie-weenie next. The crackers, when we loosed them from the can, we would pre-fracture. By hitting them with our .45's. Biting them would bend teeth.

If you could find a 90mm blank, the canned fruitcake could be loaded in front of it and you could take the headlight guards off an APC with it.

I still have the P38 that I took from a case of C-rations in the Ryukyus in 1963. Marvelous gadget.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in the Beenie Weenies were actually called "Beans and frankfurter chunks" I still like them to this day.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Always liked the Apricots. Just did not eat them.

Did not like our Tracker SNCO for the way he treated his people.
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    green eggs and ham............yummy!!! Makes my mouth water....like just before you puke!
  • PaddiegruntPaddiegrunt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Peaches and pound cake was number 10
  • KorriphilaHSPKorriphilaHSP Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was most fond of the B1's, especially the B1A's because they had fruit. The worst were the B3's, except for boned chicken, which was my favorite C-Rat meal (with lime Kool-Aid, of course). Can still hear someone saying, "Trade pound cake for fruitcake!".
  • pappy177pappy177 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the p38's that came in every meal , still have two in the drawer for camping.
  • hotel6hotel6 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I confess, I thought the ham & mo's with a dose of tobasco sauce were the greatest. I think sometime in 1968 they were replaced by spagetti & meatball. Another treat was that selection of C's in your group was based on time in country. Man, I live on pork slices, beef slices and ham & mos for a long time!
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Paddiegrunt
    Peaches and pound cake was number 10

Peaches and pound cake was number 1! [:D] ...Scrambled eggs and fruit cake were number 10!!! [xx(]
  • mark1945mark1945 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could eat just about all of them just fine,except those nasty eggs and ham.Just the smell of them made me puke.Loved the pork slices best of all.also any of the ones with fruit.
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ham and lima beans. And once they are hot, you add and mix the crushed-up crackers and cheese that you have traded to get.

Heating food or coffee is easier on a 105 crew. The powder charge bags that are discarded during firing missions contain hundreds of little rabbitt-like pellets that can be hand-fed under the food one pellet at a time till it's hot.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Well...my favorite field ration was the LRP rations. They were freeze dried and only required cup of hot water, beef stew and spaghetti were my favorites.
  • SpokesSpokes Member Posts: 341 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the beanie weenies, the meatballs and beans, and I liked the apricots. Not too many people liked apricots so I had all I could handle.
  • Overly HackledOverly Hackled Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember hearing about a guy in the Cav.that kept cutting a hole in that pound cake.After about 3 months in country someone asked him what he kept cutting a hole in the pound cake and throwing out the center.His reply>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    "I don't like pound cake ,I like donuts "

As to the question posed about "Favorite C- Rats" That's like asking "What was your favorite Fire Fight" The answer being " The ones you survive" :)
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Drove a 5 ton wrecker in convoy most days my shotgun rider could stand on running board and with side panel of hood down put cans on the exhaust manifold of engine [:)] to heat after a few miles you had a hot meal [:p]used welding gloves to get off the engine[:I]
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Drove a 5 ton wrecker in convoy most days my shotgun rider could stand on running board and with side panel of hood down put cans on the exhaust manifold of engine [:)] to heat after a few miles you had a hot meal [:p]used welding gloves to get off the engine[:I]

We did the same, when there was a vehicle avaliable. The glove they had with the extra barrel of the 60's worked as well as your welding mit![:)]
  • maverickhpxmaverickhpx Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ham and mothers - Semper Fi