In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Handguns in Vietnam

Lanark SixgunnerLanark Sixgunner Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited November 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
First off, I would like to thank all of you who served in Vietnam.

I was wondering what kind of pistols you all carried over there, and how they performed under the conditions. I know that the 1911A1 and Browning High Power were some of the more common ones, but would be interested in what you all carried.

Thanks

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Being in communications, we had a little more slack than others. A friend of mine brought a Colt Python 4" from home and would have 357 158 gr HPs smuggled through the mail by taking a loaf of French bread, cutting in two, hollowing out enough to hold a box or two.

I had a Browning Hi Power, which was convenient because it fit in the 1911 holster and if the lifers didnt look closely at the base of the grip figured that you were carrying issue. The US didnt use 9mm at the time, but since the NVA did, getting some wasnt much of a problem, though I did prefer the hollow points that I could get from home.
  • br549br549 Member Posts: 1,024
    edited November -1
    i was given a S&W 38spec 4" barrel passed it on when i left
  • 180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a 9mm Browning High power.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I carried a 1911A1
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since our missions were confined to the airspace over the Gulf of Tonkin (feet wet), we were not issued a firearm, nor did any of us carry them. However, the pilots and aircrew that went feet dry I believe were issued S&W 38 specials, but I noticed in our AirOps briefings that some carried personal weapons.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• kraschenbirnkraschenbirn Member Posts: 70 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1st Cav helicopter crews were issued 4" S&W M&Ps...for the most worn-out junk...with 1950s vintage FMJ ball ammo. But, it didn't take me long to swap an M1 carbine ("collected" from a careless ARVN) for a parkerized 1911A1 (1943 Remington-Rand) which I carried for almost 20 months. That same GI .45 today resides in the end slot of the pistol rack of my safe.

Bill
  • 41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    I carried a Colt 1911. Some of the guys had personal handguns they had either smuggled over or was able to purchase when someone went home. Some autos and some revolvers. The ones I saw were mostly in .357 (S&W's primairly) or 9mm which were assorted manufacturers.
  • BuffaloGunBuffaloGun Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    AS air crew we wereissued 5" Colt Police Positives in .38spl. I scrounged a 1911(not an A1)that I carried. It had recently come from Armory and is an Ithica slide on a Colt frame, I still have it. Some others also had personal sidearms, but it wasn't wide spread.
  • Lanark SixgunnerLanark Sixgunner Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the replies, there sure was an assortment of handguns over there.

Lots of comments on guns, but could you pop in ammo types and effectivness?

Thanks[:)]
  • spooksterspookster Member Posts: 513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father carried a 1911,,while serving with the BDART team in 66-67-68-69,,battle damage recon ,,,I have it in my collection with t\bring back papers along with a mosin 44,,,and an 870
    edited November -1
    Again, thanks for all the info, but could we have some talk on ammo and effectiveness?

Thanks[:)]
  • Hot TunaHot Tuna Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a commanders mod 45 mailed to me by my father in pieces. Being a gunner on a helicopter I had plenty of firepower without the handgun. I considered it as last resort only to keep from being captured. Because of that I don't like to think much about the type of ammo, or its effectiveness.
  • 444-45444-45 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother was in just before me as a medic, and carried a blued M19 Smith with a 4" barrel, don't recall the ammo, however I recall my parents sending him a box of ammo with his monthly care package.

On his returning flights home to the world, he was able to give the pilots of his flights, his empty pistol in its holster, when he landed home, the pilots gave him his pistol without incident. The Bluing on the Smith was completly worn off from his 12 month tour, shortly after his return he then had it reblued, unfortunally some years later his house was broken into an the pistol was stolen and never recovered.

In my tour, our platoon sargent carried a well worn nickel plated 38, don't remember the make. I carried a m203 and had what I needed.
  • bobbyjimbobbyjim Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was with the 1/1 U.S. Cav and was issued a .45. But we could use anything we could find. That included the M2 carbine I picked up for $40.00.
    We had people with .38's, chopped down barreled M16's.
    Lots of pistols and rifles were floating around and no one cared what you carried. I suspect just unaccounted for weapons.
  • alleycat-6alleycat-6 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I flew Hueys 1st tour and Chinooks on the 2nd. I always carried a 1911 filed with tracers. I wanted a "come and get me" signal from the tracers. My friends and I didn't know about the little "pin-flare" launchers that some aviators carried in their pockets. I carried a M1 carbine slung over the back of my seat in addition to the 1911. If you went down in flames you might not get out with the rifle that was slung over the seat. And another thing, you pulled the 1911 around to the front when you sat in your seat. It gave just a little protection to the "boys", if you know what I mean.........
  • givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    Smith Combat Masterpiece. Seabee team was rotating with us. I threw it in with their materiel, and had the seabee mail it back to me when his team arrived stateside. No customs. Joe
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    S&W M&P .38. I picked it over the 1911 because my dad carried one (Navy pilot) in WW II. I was on the river, and we liked to supplement the general issue in case we had to walk home.
  • overo88overo88 Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ruger, 357 Mg. old style, from home, this with my M-14 made for good hunting.
    USMC, 1965-1966 Chu-Lie RVN
  • Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Navy airdale I carried a .38 Colt with tracers. I switched it out for a S&W .357 and added armor-piecing rounds. Kept a few tracers for when the need might arise.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    when my older brother went on his second tour i gave him a star BKM light weight 9mm with six boxes of winchester 115gr hollow points,when he came back he gave it to me and i had it ingraved and gave it back to him. eastbank.
  • Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    MM0-MEO55 agree with you on the l911 .45ACP. Our legendary General "Chesty" Puller once said to: Hit 'em hard and often and the .45 does that, plus like the Garand and the M-14 (and the AK-47) they are all "Timex-tested" ordnance-- they 'take a lickin' and just keep on a tickin'--One ?? if you don't mind: If that Gook you dumped had a satchel charge and it detonated behind the berm, were there any ears or toes left- believe those were the two key ingredients in the Gook "Nuk-Mon" ration they had stashed in their ammo caches. Just wondered..
    edited November -1
    I have watched documentaries on the war and had no idea on the non-regulation weapons being used. Did any of you ever use captured handguns?

Best
  • old_ironsightsold_ironsights Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Early on, machine gunners were also issued .45's. They and their ammo were heavy as hell, just more to hump and not much worth a damn.
  • KeppeljKeppelj Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    USAF, Smith and Wesson Model 15, regular issue for flight status. Can't remember the .38 Special ammo. Only fired it once, emptied the cylinder.
  • dg13dg13 Member Posts: 16
    edited November -1
    I was issued a M-16 and was given a colt M1911a1. I carried both. Never shot the .45 in anger but was a very good shot with it. I ran a .45 range back in the states for a 2 week period in the summer of 1969 at Ft Carson CO.
    dg13
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I never fired my 1911 in anger either. Mostly it was from being scared.[8D]
  • darrellleedarrelllee Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carried an 1911, so service worn that the only good thing to do with it was to shot yourself in head in case you were overrun.
    F 2/7,H 2/1,H 2/5, 1st Mar Div.
    [xx(]
  • TORT7TORT7 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Basic weapon - Colt 1911 magnificently tuned by F. Bob Chow, the best of his day! I still own and carry this very much loved piece. Also carried a Hi Standard .22 with supressor for covert stuff.

TORT7
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    My first tour (68) I carried a 1911 (off the books). I took a tankers holster and cut the sholder strap off and cut slots in it to carry it on my belt. We wore our jacket (shirt) unbloused (not tucked in) so it conceald my 45. I wore an issue two mag pouch concealed also. I carred condition two (loaded with the hammer down).
    My second tour (71) I smuggled in a S&W K-38 and Super Vel. I carried it open.
    Left both there with others who needed them more than I.
    I did 'use' the 45 on some of the 'little' people and it did work well. I never did use the 38 on anyone there.
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    19llA1. It was the only thing b esides my M-14 that would work in that s$#% hole every time!!
  • sarge22853sarge22853 Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 1967 I brought my personal 45 LC single action 4&3/4 inch revolver. Used 255 grain hollow point rounds. Discharged it 118 times, I'm still here .......... go figure[:D]

Still shoots as well as it did then, just different targets ....[;)]
  • sentry dog 69sentry dog 69 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't make it to Nam..went to Korea instead. I handled a Sentry Dog..we were issued S&W Combat masterpieces with a vent-rib barrel. Dang accurate pistol. My counterparts in Nam could use the same or carry an m-16 on post but it is hard to handle a rifle and dog at the same time. I also carried a CaseXX bowie knife on duty.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sentry dog 69
    I didn't make it to Nam..went to Korea instead. I handled a Sentry Dog..we were issued S&W Combat masterpieces with a vent-rib barrel. Dang accurate pistol. My counterparts in Nam could use the same or carry an m-16 on post but it is hard to handle a rifle and dog at the same time. I also carried a CaseXX bowie knife on duty.

You were in the Air Force, right?[;)]
  • sentry dog 69sentry dog 69 Member Posts: 72 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    quote:Originally posted by sentry dog 69

You were in the Air Force, right?[;)]

Yes, USAF.'68-'72. 354 Security Police Squadron at Kunsan, Korea, '69-'70.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a USAF pilot, and was issued a S&W 4" 38 Special. I knew it would only get me killed if I used it as intended, so I kept it loaded with all tracer rounds, as a backup signal device. But since I flew as a spy over Cambodia and wouldn't be rescued, I'd have only needed one round if I went down.

As for effectiveness, every time I pulled the trigger in practice, it went off and hit dirt.

We could and often did use unauthorized guns. Most of us carried an AK in the cockpit instead of the issue CAR-15, mainly because if we went down and actually had to shoot at something, the sound of the AK would be less alarming to the bad guys. But fire an M-16 in Cambodia, and the whole bad guy world is gonna know who and where you are! I saw everything from Brownings and Chinese copies thereof to Makarovs, to Tokarevs, Japanese guns from WWII, and even an odd French revolver once.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • veger2veger2 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Colt Lightweight Commander (my dad gave it to me before I went over) in an issue holster. Used issue ball ammo in it and fired it once, not in anger as much as wet my pants fear. And it got the job done.
  • RPeltRPelt Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a Marine grunt officer and carried a 1911A1 and an M-16. I would have carried an M-79, but the rounds were too danged heavy to tote around with my other hundred pounds of stuff!
  • tawcattawcat Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    'Nam 65-66 with USMC. Was a flamethrower!!!! Issue carry, M-14 and M-1911A1. Personal carry, bought from someone, Llama .32 auto. I loved that weapon; and an M1 carbine. I came home!!!

Thanks to all that served and are now serving

1SG, US Army Infantry (ret)
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a little too young for Vietnam but one of my best friends was an Army MP dog handler there. His personal weapon was a S&W Terrier in 38 S&W.

Just after his 50th birthday, he died of cancer, most likely Agent Orange related but the family didn't pursue the matter.

RIP Steve.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • tallcharlietallcharlie Member Posts: 673 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up an old Colt Commando (38 Spl - 6 shot) at AD046 in Korea before I got sent to VN. I dragged that around with me until I got out in 1973. I gave it to another O-3 at Ft Campbell the day I left.