In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

66-67 & 68-69

74man74man Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
edited August 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Did two years, Air Force. Heavy Weapons Augmentee. Tahn Lin in delta and a place called Genove somewhere around Da Nang. Only jungle stations, most of tours at Phan Rang. Worked with 101st for a while. Chopper gunner for a while, convoy gunner for a while, Mortar pit and gunner on APC. I think my boss was tring to get me killed, we had a personally conflict. I couldn't stand the B?#$$rd. Was glad to get home.[:D][:)]

Comments

• Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Welcome 74man. Glad to have you aboard, and thanks for serving![;)]
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Sounds a little like the Comm Chief that I had. My reaction to a lot of situations was to smile, which he took either as a lack of recognition as to the seriousness of the problem or possibly a threat to his masculinity. In either case, his response was to get me a far from his unit as possible, which meant I got temp assignments to all sorts of units, generally as additional security, aka grunt w/radio. I didn't particularly dislike him, but I did learn that he died a while back, and I'm still alive, such as it is.
  • Options
    robparobpa Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    67-68, the good ol days with: 4th Inf. div. 5/16 Arty-155 SP. central highlands from Dac Tho/Kontum to Ban Me Thout(bambi tooey). I had a little weasel of a gun chief for a spell, hated the chicken s--t guy was damn glad to see him rotate.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    69 - 70 I was at Phan Rang. Downtown Phan Rang that is not the airbase, except for trips in after supplies.
  • Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    7-67-2-69. Alpha Btry 2/40 Arty, 199th LIB.. "You yell, we shell, like hell!" Charlie
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome home brothers. I was out in the Gulf on the USS Ranger CVA-61 those same years. Makin' steam in Number 3 Main Machinery Room to launch Phantoms, Crusaders, and Intruders. Hope we did you boys some good.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    robpa........ Hey old comrad...... Sept 68 to Sept 69, 2/8th Inf (mechanized) 4th Div, the Oasis, Kontum, Dakto, Pleiku. I was a .50 cal gunner.

Always liked the banzai runs through the tea plantation west of Camp Enari. We had a battery of 105's in one of our firebases. If memory serves me they were the 4/42nd arty and they had a sign that read...." You yell, we shell, like hell..open 24hrs. I still have a pic of that sign.
  • Options
    Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Welcome new members... Lots of good folks here.. Jump in the pool and take part in our discussions...
  • Options
    IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    robpa........ Hey old comrad...... Sept 68 to Sept 69, 2/8th Inf (mechanized) 4th Div, the Oasis, Kontum, Dakto, Pleiku. I was a .50 cal gunner.

Always liked the banzai runs through the tea plantation west of Camp Enari. We had a battery of 105's in one of our firebases. If memory serves me they were the 4/42nd arty and they had a sign that read...." You yell, we shell, like hell..open 24hrs. I still have a pic of that sign.

Well, they stole our slogan?? I still have a pix of our sign also! Still seems like yesterday!
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    RVN....Navy Corpsman. Attached to I corps w/USMC grunts 1st MARDIV). Couldn't get it right the first time so the Navy X-fered me to the State Dept. and I did another year in the delta with the 5th spec. forces (unattached). MILPHAP team N-9. Was out on my own a lot in the delta. Stayed below the skyline, and so I'm OK. Moved a around a lot with Air America and hopped choppers whenever they had space for me. Got drunk in Camp Carroll/Da Nang/Chau Doc/Can Tho and on PBR's. Guess we only remember the good times. Used to carry a PX 8mm mini movie camera in my breast pocket, and was able to archive lots of good footage. Best to all, givette (Joe)
  • Options
    Looney ToonLooney Toon Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weapons Dept on the CVA-61, USS Ranger. Moving bombs and overseeing underway replenishments. Only a couple of 1-week trips in-country.

EOD were good buddies and did some work with them......Stops in Hong Kong, Japan, Olongapo.........Top Gun..........
  • Options
    m.j.ryanm.j.ryan Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looney Toon, There was an AO on the Ranger that was in Boot Camp with me. I forget his name, a big strong fellow, light red hair, from Michigan or Ohio IIRC. We did one of those special Basic's at NAS Grosse Ile just south of Detroit in the summer of 1966. I still have my cruise books somewhere in the shop. If I run across them, I'll post. I could scan some pics if you want to stroll down Memory Lane.
  • Options
    bobpattonbobpatton Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For Givette:

Joe, I think you and I were with Navy Nine at Chau Doc at the same time. I spent 25 years in the Nav and retired in '87. Spent another 15 with a beltway bandit and then retired a couple of years ago. Hope all is well with you. To confirm, do you know Wild Bill Bentley or Bachsi Bill Frailey?

Regards,
    Bob
  • Options
    sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    did 1 1/2 years; 67-68 1370 communications at Tuy Hoa back 68-69 with 20th tactical air support at Tam Ky. Provided forward air control for 101st airborne, 3rd marines, 1st air cavalry, 25th rok and 2nd arvn division. My best friend in high school still listed as MIA while flying a UH1C gunship. Chopper lost only three miles from Tam Ky, chopper never located.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    for bobpatton: How are you, old buddy!
    You and I had adjoining seats on the "freedom bird" taking us from VVTS (Tan Son Nhut) to KSUU (Travis AFB). After My Discharge I became a comm. pilot, worked for svrl airlines(cargo),got laid off, then worked as a federal air traffic controller until retirement a few years ago. Our flight was Continental H2A4.
    To ans. ur ques. Ung Bentley/LtJg MSC team N9 admin, replacing Lt Bielawski. Lt. Frailey, was he the XO Bac-Si for the team (looked like a hippy?) I was in the boonies at TinhBien with Manuel Briones, before he got shipped home on a "section eight".
    My preference was to be out in the Lien-Doi (VN battalion) over the Seabee house. More to come, as my memory sharpens. Best Rgds, Joe