In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How many movie stars did you meet ...

prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
when they were touring VN. I met Bob Denver(Gilligan)and Sabastian Cabot.It was nice of them to leave safety and conveniance to visit us.

A,4th,12th 199th Lt Inf Bgde63558148110_0_SM.jpg

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at the Bob Hope Christmas Show on Hill 327 in Danang in 1965. I have a picture of me with Joey Heatherton. I also met Jack Jones and Carol Baker. Martha Raye was frequently at the Danang PX chatting with troops. However, by far my favorite was Robert Mitchum. He landed at Dong Ha without fanfare or any prior notice, off-loaded ten cases of beer, talked to us for awhile and took off again.
  • 101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bob Hope and Connie Stevens during a Christmas tour in 1969.
    Flew from Fire Base Bastogne to Eagle Beach. Quite a treat.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I didn't meet any movie stars, but, did get to play basketball with Wes Unseld, John McGlocklin and another NBA player whose name I can't recall at the moment. Wes Unseld, wasn't that tall, especially by today's standards, but, he was huge. They were very gracious guys who just seemed to want to have a little fun with the troops.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I met none. I got to VN in late November, so was junior on every list- so while the guys with more timeincountry went into Danang to see Bob Hope and Rachel Welch, I got to stand perimeter guard and go on patrols. Then when the next show came around in the following December, I was on my way back to the world.
  • cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shook hands with LBJ, believe in 68. He looked like a dead man walking.
  • prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cacti25
    I shook hands with LBJ, believe in 68. He looked like a dead man walking.

Why didn't you poke him in the eye.He's the reason we were there.
  • robparobpa Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was able to get to Camp Enari (Pleiku) for the Bob Hope show in 67, with Raquel Welch, my God she was gorgeous!!! Somehow managed a front row seat. Chris Noel sat on my lap and gave me a kiss on the cheek.
    I dont think I blame Johnson for me being there, might blame the commies tho.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think President Johnson's problem was that he was too much of an American Politician, with all the behaviors,desires, and methods of operation so entrenched. For his entire life he had operated within a system of compromise and making deals to further his goals, which he saw as his countries goals. Had he been a little more aware of what Ho and the North Vietnamese really wanted, Johnson may have been able to work a deal that would have kept the South from being "Communist" and terminating the aggression. It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if when Johnson went to visit Ho, if instead of offering Ho a pile of money in exchange for leaving the South alone, Johnson would have told Ho that Vietnam could be reunited with things picking up where they were dropped in 1919. since Ho had no great love for the Communist governments of China or USSR, if he would have gotten a firm commitment of support from the US, Ho may have just given the Communist thing up and opted for a unified Vietnam under the democratic/capitalistic system. But as with all history, we'll never know "what if".
  • jratcliffjratcliff Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by robpa
    I was able to get to Camp Enari (Pleiku) for the Bob Hope show in 67, with Raquel Welch, my God she was gorgeous!!! Somehow managed a front row seat. Chris Noel sat on my lap and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

Thought you might be interested to see this. It is the poster they handed out for the Bob Hope show. I did not get to go as we had to keep the A1's up. Welcome Home! Thanks JR
  • jratcliffjratcliff Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jratcliff

Thought you might be interested to see this. It is the poster they handed out for the Bob Hope show. I did not get to go as we had to keep the A1's up. Welcome Home! Thanks JR

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1617/page4.html Sorry about that
  • D.K.D.K. Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DancesWithSheep
    I was at the Bob Hope Christmas Show on Hill 327 in Danang in 1965. I have a picture of me with Joey Heatherton. I also met Jack Jones and Carol Baker. Martha Raye was frequently at the Danang PX chatting with troops. However, by far my favorite was Robert Mitchum. He landed at Dong Ha without fanfare or any prior notice, off-loaded ten cases of beer, talked to us for awhile and took off again.

Ditto here. Only it happened on the USS Ticonderoga.
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The top of my list was the DUKE, John Wayne Hisself!! I think it was '68, he was in jungle camo with a green benie, just walked around the camp and talked to us. What a big guy, must of been 6'4".
    Never made the USO shows on Hill 327, but saw Marta Ray and Ray Bolger at the Chow Hall. Seen first hand pics of Joey Heaterdin, what a doll!!
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I met three that are worth remembering: Ann Margaret, Martha Raye, and John Wayne. Ann was sweet on my OIC, Martha signed her autograph on my utility shirt above the left breast pocket with a magic marker, after too many boiler-makers...but best of all was sitting and talking with The Duke for about an hour along with several other enlisteds. Big John was wearing his western-garb and Colt. We all had a grand old time unwinding over three rounds of rum and coke. John Wayne is truly an American Icon, and deservedly so.
    What's next?
  • almanacalmanac Member Posts: 180 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/1617/page4.html Sorry about that

My uncle is from Coalwood W.VA. Small world. Bolt is the last name. Your knew them for sure, pretty small Holler.
  • cbengecbenge Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    President Johnson visited Cam Rahn Bay, Viet Nam in October 1966...and lifted our morale!
  • Old GunnyOld Gunny Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Duke" was for real- one of the very few Hollywood actors who didn't serve, but not because he didn't try- he had dislocated a shoulder playing football at USC in the early 1930's-he and pal Yappet Kato did a boatload of stunts in their Westerns, but the Army rejected him. In my beloved USMC we called the K-rat crackers "John Wayne" crackers in his honor-smeared with that super-oily peanut butter, three of those babies would plug up your poop chute for 24 plus hours- so you didn't have to plan to crap on patrol-
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    "I didn't meet any movie stars, but, did get to play basketball with Wes Unseld, John McGlocklin and another NBA player whose name I can't recall at the moment. Wes Unseld, wasn't that tall, especially by today's standards, but, he was huge. They were very gracious guys who just seemed to want to have a little fun with the troops."

I posted this two years ago. Reading it just now, I remembered the third guy was Lou Hudson. So, I'm feeling pretty good about my brain for the moment.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None but I still appreciate that they did go to Viet Nam for the troops.
  • olddog1olddog1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sue Thompson came aboard the USS Bradley (DE1041) in 1966 while we were patrolling off the coast. Didn't actually meet her, but they put on a good show.