In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone ever think of going back for a visit?

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
edited March 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Several years ago, my wife saw a story on TV of a soldier who travelled back to Viet Nam for a visit. She thought it was a good idea because in the documentry, he stated he was able to heal wounds and bury demons. She offered to pay for a trip back for me, and I declined.

Did any of you ever think about going back? For me, there's not a chance in heck! It took me 20 years to be able to look at them walking down the street here without wanting to take cover and ready a weapon.

Comments

• DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    ...he stated he was able to heal wounds and bury demons.
    How does that work? I do not understand how returning to Vietnam could possibly serve any purpose in this regard, any more than returning to high school could heal the wounds or bury the demons of Christine Krasnogorsky choosing the senior prom to crap all over me in front of my friends. To my mind, revisitation to a place in memory 40 years after the fact would do nothing other than serve as reminder that you cannot step in the same river twice. We are all of us the sum of our experience and what we have made of it.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Ya' got me Robert! My wounds healed after surgery, and I have no demons to bury. All that place holds for me are memories I no longer wish to recall.

I couldn't look at the people without wondering which side they were on, and did they want to kill me. It's just part of my mindset now.

I take it you are no more interested in a vacation than I am!
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    I take it you are no more interested in a vacation than I am!
    May I suggest a trip to the Viet Nam Memorial if you haven't already been.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Visiting 'Nam during Tet was enough for me. Will pass. [;)]
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I think I will pass as well. I do not need to travel back there for my wounds to heal. My 2 cents
  • divecopdivecop Member Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have no desire to travel back and revisit 'Nam. I will live with my
    demons and let them visit me while I sleep in times of stress or
    tiredness. I think it would only bring forth more memories of the
    times I'm trying to forget.
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep...couldn't say it better than DWS and Divecop...
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • cacti25cacti25 Member Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    For most of you guys you need to remember there is no time limit on WAR crimes.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I,d rather go fishing.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Only if the Windy Bar on TuDo street is still open and I could take a couple more TDY trips to Thailand.
  • robparobpa Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Dad wanted to go back to the Phillipines, I could never understand that, yet recently I have found myself thinking I might like to go back to Nam?? I never used to think I would ever think that. But, I dunno?
    I met a Nam woman who married a GI and she returned. Said the people hold no grudges agains Americans but they didnt really appreciate her, not nasty to her but not over friendly either.
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you nuts?? I can't ever forget the stink, filth, heat, sweat and yea blood. Go back for what? I've seen a few Viet-Namese here, and don't see where they've progressed any. Still in the rock age, s******g on main street, eating dogs. Forget about it, they can keep it!!
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I visit way too often... in the night, or when it's foggy, or when I am sick.. I don't need a long and bad plane ride...

DA-TANK.. Man, you just don't know how true your statement is..
  • Tiger6Tiger6 Member Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    After getting back and cutting ties with all the medical games, I found that I did not have have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of, let along the ability to buy land.. My "ex" made sure of that! And the last thing I would have bought, had I the money, would have been "jungle material"..
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought about it once, and even discussed with some of my friends who had made the tours....
    NOPE! too many reasons not to....
  • sweetgumsweetgum Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am going to try to go back in a year or 2, waiting for my wife to retire. na trang, cam rahn, dalat are a few of the places i want to revisit. i am a 100% disabled combat vet. but i would like to see the country 1 more time to make sure it is real before i die. i have some bad memories, but i also have some good memories of rvn.
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    Not me! I have no desire to visit any Commie country! 18 months was enough.. Charlie
  • sirgknightsirgknight Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I guess it's all relevant....when I went to Nam on my first tour in 1968 I was 21 years old. Part of my job as a member of a Tactical Air Support Team was to formulate bomb damage assessments (BDA's) after air or artillery strikes. This meant counting dead bodies (ours or theirs), or animals, and listing destroyed structures. My "demon" is that vision which is burned in my brain after observing all of our body bags that were loaded on choppers like firewood. I am now 59 years old and still haven't gotten the courage to visit "our wall". I still don't know if I can look at the names on the wall and wonder how many of them I loaded on a chopper to come back home in a bag. HELL NO I don't want to go back to that god-forsaken place, EVER!!!!