In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I must have been confused!

dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
Meet a guy tonight who was a Lieutenant Corporal in the USMC in Viet Nam from '58 to '78. Did his 20 and got out. Must have been and E-28![}:)]

Don't ya' jusy love 'em![;)]

Comments

• rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yea, I remember him! Used to carry 500 lb bombs out to the flight deck. A black guy that said he'd stay in till the war was over. Can't remember his name though, his uniform was way cool!!
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Not confused. There were a lot of highly classified super top secret ranks required to undertake missions into China and Japan from Vietnam. I personally know of a mission which planted nuclear bombs in Cambodia. There are still hundreds of special agents scattered about Southeast Asia searching for information trying to find these bombs.

Isn't it funny that there are scores of guys who were special agents of some sort in Nam and hardly anybody comes forward to brag of their service in the Texas National Guard?
  • HokkmikeHokkmike Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember while marching a squad of Vietnamese Lts. across Lackland AFB (I was only an E-3) all of the rank and decorations these "future" pilots had.
  • Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't it funny, It seems like every "dive type bar" has one or two ex secret agents or Navy seals around. What's even worse, the've told their story so many times, they start believing it themselves.[:D]
  • Byron R. EnglerByron R. Engler Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When these wannabe's start their blowing, just ask them a question only a true GI would know. Makes them scratch their head a little.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lt Coporal- anything like a Sgt Major? [:p] True story- was assigned to work with the El Salvador OCS program- their candidates are THIRD Lts!!! For all of you that say thee is nothing lower than a 2nd Lt!
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rovernut
    Yea, I remember him! Used to carry 500 lb bombs out to the flight deck. A black guy that said he'd stay in till the war was over. Can't remember his name though, his uniform was way cool!!
    He wasn't that hot; he had to use both arms to carry those 500 lb bombs, didn't he? [;)]
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I think I met that guy in the bush- he was hanging from a tree limb, upside-down. He had spun the fuse on the 500 pounder so it would arm itself, and was waiting for enemy to pass under the tree so he could drop the bomb on them. He said it was necessary to drop the bomb a little to the west of his position, so that the explosion would push him back to the base, so that he could reload and set another ambush. His uniform was in tatters from previous explosions, the he had tatoos that were Far Out.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flyin_Paulie
    Isn't it funny, It seems like every "dive type bar" has one or two ex secret agents or Navy seals around. What's even worse, the've told their story so many times, they start believing it themselves.[:D]

I'm not a Nam Vet (Only 45), but I ran into just such a loser (biker type)at the bowling alley a few years ago. I just started asking him very pointed questions about his time in until he mumbled something about "not wanting to talk about it" and wandered off. Those hacks even pizz me off.
  • alaska 207alaska 207 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Careful with the (biker type) lingo. I and a lot of my friends ride and we don't talk about it either.

Kilo 1/12
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alaska 207
    Careful with the (biker type) lingo. I and a lot of my friends ride and we don't talk about it either.

Kilo 1/12

Okay, maybe I should have said "wannabe-outlaw-biker-type" C'mon, man, you know these guys. Oozing B.S. from every pore. Gives bikers a bad name. Dude would give trailer trash a bad name. Reason I knew he was full of it was, during this occasion, he wanted my radio station to get involved in a "big concert promotion featuring the Eagles, Steve Miller..." big name bands from the 70's all right here in out little town. It was that "promotion" that got his parole revoked. Because it was a scam.
    Besides, I'm betting you and your friends never walk up to people in bars and start conversations with "When I was in the SEALS...." I'm tellin' ya, this guy did. Then, when he figured out that I was actually in the Navy, and might actually have some rudimentary knowlege of what and who a SEAL is/was, he high-tailed it.
  • alaska 207alaska 207 Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're right about the Bars, I forgo the VFW just for the same BS. Don't know but I hope it isn't the same everywhere, but around here its like the good old boys country club, and I can really do without that crap. Another Marine reporting Sir, I've spent my time in hell.
    Who thought it would last this long.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by alaska 207
    You're right about the Bars, I forgo the VFW just for the same BS. Don't know but I hope it isn't the same everywhere, but around here its like the good old boys country club, and I can really do without that crap. Another Marine reporting Sir, I've spent my time in hell.
    Who thought it would last this long.

Man, I'd have thought the VFW would be the only place you could find either people who A) understood, and would leave you alone...or B) people who appreciated a B.S.-free zone. It's taken me a long time to realize that most VN-era vets don't really appreciate a lot of probing, if well-meaning questions from guys like me who, while curious, will never have the faintest freekin' clue. By the way. Thanks for your patience on this forum. It's a great place for me to just listen and learn.
  • koolkiller6koolkiller6 Member Posts: 124 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm back for a short visit: this topic ties into a train of thought from the other day while on the tractor. I believe that we don't want to talk about our experiences( mostly combat types ) because we were looked upon as outcasts when we came back.The tone of public opinion was that of ' hear no evil '. So we didn't discuss our tours.
    There is more to it of course but the stage was set once we got off the plane.
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    My VFW has allowed a phony POW in the Post! Even though I proved him a wannabee! Can`t stand to be near one!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ironrifle
    My VFW has allowed a phony POW in the Post! Even though I proved him a wannabee! Can`t stand to be near one!

Was he a vet lying about his POW status, or a complete wannabe?
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    He has a membership card frm a post in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I don`t know if he is a vet or not? What I do know is no one by the name of Tom Meredith is listed anywhere on the POW list! Charlie
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ironrifle
    He has a membership card frm a post in Jonesboro, Arkansas. I don`t know if he is a vet or not? What I do know is no one by the name of Tom Meredith is listed anywhere on the POW list! Charlie

Takes some kinda balls, man.
  • MockingbirdMockingbird Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, I have never discussed Nam before now. I was in from Jan 71 to Jan 73. I got my orders for Nam in Nov 72. I never went over. I lost a lot of friends to death, drugs, and hell on earth because of Nam. I still cannot watch a war movie today because I know the terrible toll I somehow missed. I support our men and women in uniform as best I can and pray for them continually. I have a hard time with anyone who disrepects our soldiers. I have met some of the phonies and it makes me want to puke. Thanks for listening to me this is the first time in a long time i have shed tears for my felow warriors.
  • jocko007jocko007 Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How come it is that the ones I meet were all snipers? I swear there must have been 10,000 snipers in VietNam. Now I get the same thing from the guys who claim to be Gulf War Vets. Man I can't believe how many snipers this country has turned out.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    Nearly every Nam vet I meet was a sniper, a door gunner on a Huey, a tunnel rat, or a SEAL.

PS: I think we did have troops on the ground in Viet Nam as early as the late 1950s. At least, that's what Charlie Askins said.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    quote:Originally posted by rovernut
    He wasn't that hot; he had to use both arms to carry those 500 lb bombs, didn't he? [;)]

Actually, Hairy, he carried one in each ham! True story!
    What's next?
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not unusual. Same thing happened after WW 2. Try to pin a guy down to
    what Div., what Regt, what Bn, what company, just blank looks. Left the VFW after 3 months. I had it.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Hi Joe! Glad to see you posting.