In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Robert McNamara died

garand101garand101 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I thought it appropriate to post in this forum that Robert McNamara, Secretary of Defense during most of the Vietnam War has died. I'm sure that a lot of you have mixed feelings about the man. I'm sure some of you are jumping for joy. I feel that he was one of the main problems in how the war was run, but I'm also afraid that we did not learn a lesson from Vietnam, and now we're repeating some of the mistakes in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Anyway,
Thank you for your service.
Rob

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No mixed feelings here. The SOB lived to 93 but his bone-headed ideas and policies cut thousands of other lives damn short. Good riddance.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Mac and I didn't sit at the same mess table, you might say. I can disagree with much of how that war was run, but the accusations thrown at him are also deserved by most war planners since rocks and spears. Except for whomever wrote the book on Gulf 1. Humans have a tendency to fight a new war using the tactics of the last one, and the first one to figure out that the rules have changed usually comes out the winner.

So I'm not going to pick on McNamara. He was tryign to do the best he could, which is no more than what I was trying to do. I think, over the last 40 years, I got better sleep than he did.
  • harbourcayharbourcay Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now to complete the circle let's dig up LBJ and hang him