In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New Guy Here

saltysquidsaltysquid Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited July 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I wasn't in Vietnam (was young enough to only hit the evacuation), but I was in the US Navy on board the USS Prairie just before and during operation Frequent Wind. We were set to leave to pick up refugees off the coast of Vietnam when they decided to have us stay in the Philippines and help there. I ran small boats and during the day picked up refugees from the ships with a Mike 8 boat that had been captured by the nva and recaptured by the US. It was a piece of crap that had 4 50 calibur gun mounts on it (of course the guns wasn't on it in the philoppines and we used the big ammo box to ice down san miguel's). We also ran 40' utility boats to take food to Gande Island for them. We wound up getting extended in the PI to work with them.

I'm just explaining up front that I'm not a battle veteran and don't claim to be one. I offer a stiff salute to all veterans especially to you battle vets.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Welcome to you![:)]
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    oh oh talaga.
    p.i. sailor. got peso?
    we love you no s***.
    throw me peso into my bonka boat.
    remember the mini golf course over near the base theatre? you use to launch from that corner near the flag pole. right?
    we probably pulled liberty together and didnt know it. i was enterprise.
    banictacon...come in!?
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • saltysquidsaltysquid Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Ray.[:D]

We might have Bobski. I was there in 75,78,79 and 83. Ther first three on the prairie where we were building 15 at Boton Wharf (as well as getting extended there in 75). The last I was on the O'brien, a Spruance class destroyer but I wound up staying there at cubi point for an operation on my elbow. I was crossing the bridge the very next day loaded with codine pain pills.[;)]

The prairie was nice though, pretty much home ported there on westpac in 6 section duty. Two of those cruises I ran the Captains Gig and stood no duty, we anchored out pretty much daily on the other side of grande island with san miguel and some honey ko's.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remember the pitch putt course on grande? monkey island? the shrapnel riddled cannons on the top of the hill from when the japs took p.i.? and of course cubi dogs over where the carriers use to moor?[:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.