In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Knives

River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
edited September 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Here's a different question. After re-reviewing the interesting responses to Lanark Sixgunner's excellent question about sidearms in Vietnam, what about preferences for knives?

Somewhere along the way, I secured an Air Force Survival knife when TDY'd to a PBR unit in RivDiv13. Pretty lousy knife design, I believe -- pretty much intended for cutting oneself out of a cockpit harness, I suppose. But it would open a ration can!

When I was a kid, I was awed by my dad's WWII Kabar -- issued to him as a Navy pilot. Wished I had one like it on boats in the Mekong Delta, but no such luck. Bought myself one as soon as I got back. Still have the Air Force Survival Knife also.

So, tell us about your knife preferences in the boonies.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was in the Navy and this is the Camillus Survival Knife I was issued in 1971 and was part of my survival equipment while flying missions over the Tonkin Gulf.

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    PaddiegruntPaddiegrunt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I carried a K-bar bowie that was longer and wider the the Marine K-bar for my tour in 68
  • Options
    StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our Marine company was not allowed to have options. We carried a bayonet. The bayonet is a fine piece too.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Old-Colts: yup, that's the knife I was issued on the river. Still have it. Not sure if it was issued or misappropriated from somewhere else. SEALS were issued Kabars, which impressed me as a real knife suitable for something more than opening paint cans.
  • Options
    101AIRBORNE101AIRBORNE Member Posts: 1,252 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carried a Swiss Army Knife in my pack and a Buck-believe it has
    a 7.5" blade on my side. Dad sent me the Buck. The sheath has rotten away and the AL cross guards are worn thin. Served me well and still have it.
    Best.
  • Options
    wolfeccwolfecc Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOUGHT A PUMA WHITE HUNTER AND CARRIED UNDER FLIGHT SUIT. 38TH AIRRESCUE "PEDRO"
  • Options
    elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was happy with my M-14 bayonet. It served me well for 18 months. Eddie, CEP-3, USN MCB 10.