In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question on a knife

BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
edited November 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I have a balisong type knife with a butcher type sawback blade and rather wide reddish brown micarta scales that I saw somewhere described as a VN aviator's or para knife. Anybody ever see anything like this? Large knife, about six inch long blade.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the NATO knife to me, but I would have to see pictures to know for sure.
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    I'm a long way from a pic. I did find a Finnish balisong knife online that was issued by the CIA and that is similar.

The scales I would describe as Phenolic, as Micarta didn't exist then. I will be home, maybe in January and post a pic then.
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    The butterfly type knives were just becoming popular is the early 70s, so I'm not familiar with them. All the knives I came in contact with that were related to military were fixed blades- basically a full-size "Kabar" and a scaled down model, which also had the saw teeth on the upper blade edge, which was called a pilots knife. My guess is that the balisong was a private ownership deal. It could be quite handy for the space required to carry it.
  • hicap47hicap47 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The alledged CIA issued butterfly knives have a red 'plastic' handle which is marked 'HACKMAN - FINLAND'........