In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Short Memories?

Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
edited January 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
I was watching a movie the other night with Dana Andrews. It's title was something like The Best Years of Our Lives. In a nutshell the plot was all the problems he was having returning from WWII and fitting into society. Seems things weren't quite like the present day ideas that they were all treated like heroes. There were more workers than jobs; the serviceman was supposed to get his job back, which if that happened then someone else got layed off, leading to hard feelings and resentment.

So it appears to me that those that benefit from the sacrifices of the military are quick to forget once the threat is defeated. I suspect this curent conflict will be no different. Reservists that were called-up will return to their old job, bumping the replacement person and resentment will once again raise it's head.

Comments

• Options
    Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    God and the soldier all men adore,
    in time of danger, not before.
    The danger over and all things righted
    God is forgotten and the soldier is slighted.

Sent to me by my Mother when I returned from Nam the last time.

Smoky the
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smoky- that one is a classic- I would also reccomend Kiplings "Tommy Atkins"- Among other verses- "Its Tommy this, and Tommy that, and chuck 'im out, the brute. But the savior of his country when the guns begin to shoot. "