In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Joker Guns

joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
US Army flight class 70-11. Flew UH1C gunships for the 282nd AHC Alleycats (DaNang) and then the 48th AHC Jokers (Dong Ha and Khe Sahn) for support of lam San 719. Retired as a CW4(P) in 1991. Spent all me time in the most dangerous Corps for helicopters which was I Corps where 73% of losses to army helicopters occured. Member Vietnam Helicpter Pilots association and MOAA.

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Russ - Thank you for your Service, and welcome to GunBroker.

Are you aware that there is a pretty active Forum here for vets ??

Doug
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    US Army flight class 70-11. Flew UH1C gunships for the 282nd AHC Alleycats (DaNang) and then the 48th AHC Jokers (Dong Ha and Khe Sahn) for support of lam San 719. Retired as a CW4(P) in 1991. Spent all me time in the most dangerous Corps for helicopters which was I Corps where 73% of losses to army helicopters occured. Member Vietnam Helicpter Pilots association and MOAA.

Joker, the 282nd were Black Cats, I don't recall what the gun platoon used as a call sigh though. And I was there for Lam Son 719. And we had converted most if not all of our Charlie models to Mike models. (Installed the L13B engines)
    I too was a WOFT but a little to much astigmatism put a stop to my flight school (1968) but I logged 1400+ hours (CE) in I Corps in 1970-71.
    282nd AHC, Black Cats, and 71st AHC, Rattlers.
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jim Rau
    quote:Originally posted by joker19

Joker, the 282nd were Black Cats, I don't recall what the gun platoon used as a call sigh though. And I was there for Lam Son 719. And we had converted most if not all of our Charlie models to Mike models. (Installed the L13B engines)
    I too was a WOFT but a little to much astigmatism put a stop to my flight school (1968) but I logged 1400+ hours (CE) in I Corps in 1970-71.
    282nd AHC, Black Cats, and 71st AHC, Rattlers.
    edited November -1
    Yes the LIFT birds for the 282nd were Blackcats the guns were the ALLEYCATS......now what I said was I flew for the 282nd Alleycats which were the UH-1C guns.
  • mustang58mustang58 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw the post by the Joker pilot and have to ask this question. I flew guns in III corp in 70. Had a ship with 696 as the last three tail numbers. I heard it went to the Jokers and was shot down in Laos. Just wondering if you knew of this happening. I think the pilot was KIA and the other three crew survived. It had a L-11 engine and was a mini gun ship the last time I saw it. Thanks for your time.
    edited November -1
    many aircraft with the 48th AHC went down in Laos during Lam Sahn 719 and mine was one of them. If you go to the Vietnam Helicopter Pilots association site (www.vhpa.com) and look at the lost aircraft you might come up with the answer you are looking for. I don't remember the numbers of the aircraft, but I do know of many that never came back. It was an extreme battle and we commited many aircraft and lives into it.

Welcome Home....................Joker19