In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Going back to Vietnam?

Pathfinder82Pathfinder82 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
I am curious how many of you that served in Vietnam have been back and if not do you have a desire to go back?

I ask this question because #1 I am interested in hearing if you did go back, how your trip went? #2 I operate a tour company and have had several VN vets ask me to do a tour over there, so I would like to guage interest in who would like to go back.

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO & NO [xx(] 'em.
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i would be interested in going back to the pleiku dalat kontum bam me tuot areas hank at krawiech@comcast.net
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I have not, and I do not. Nuff said.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    I've never been back, but I would go without hesitation;if the trip were free...[:D]
  • pltrgystpltrgyst Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My bro-in-law went back last year with a tour group out of NC (Valor tours?) He said the Pleiku area was off-limits, mostly military installations.
  • krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im sure things will change everything seems to change somehow i just in the thought stage unless i can find a couple of people to go thanks hank
  • Butch StewartButch Stewart Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • rovernutrovernut Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you nuts?? There an't a damn thing I want to see, and a lot I want to forget!!! I heard John McCain went back, but why???
  • nitsa216nitsa216 Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    served in the RPVN in 67=68 timeframe, went back after 40 + yrs, spent three weeks , travelled by train from Saigon to the Chinese border, nothing is even close to the way it was when we were there.
    Unless you go to the military museums in Saigon and Hanoi, there is very little to remind one of what it was like back when we were there. Certainly not for everyone, but if interested, I would recomend doing it.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that has an import-export business who deals with VN daily. He goes over there maybe once month. He has many times invited me to go with him but I hesitate. Part of me wants to go and part doesn't.[V]
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No. This has got to be one of the most expensive and useless trips ever. And for what? The jungle reclaims itself after a matter of months, and it has been 40 years. It would be as if you were never there.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I've ALMOST commented on this post several times. Have to admit there's a latent curiosity to actually see how much things have changed. I really need to know it's changed.

I've zoomed in on Google Maps, and even found a website or two for rivere cruises up to Cambodia. But the bottom line is: no thanks. The reasons for not picking that scab outweigh the curiosity.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have thought of going. It would be interesting to see what the Central Highlands look like now. Would probably have my son go with me, he was born in 75, after the war.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came home in 1968.....and I do business with Viet Nam.....I have been offered free passage....haven't been back...volunteered first time....want be a second time...I knew Viet Nam was a mistake three days after I got there.....[:(]