In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CAMBODIA WERE YOU THERE MAY 1970

GREASYGREASY Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
I was with Hco/2ND/11TH/ACR as a tc on a 48a3 the third tank in a line of amour that streched back for 63 miles acording to our COL. DON STARRY. We rolled in to CAMBODIA from QL-13 then N.E. on N-7 to a little town called SNOUL the NVA were throwing a party there for our honor, you guys can adlib from there. I just wanted to hear from others their stories,maybe find some old troopers from the blackhorse. Maybe some one remembers the name of my tank. It had a 11th CAV patch on both sides and around that it said DEATH RIDES A BLACKHORSE. GREASY , FIND THE BAST...DS AND PILE ON....ALLONS.[;)]

Comments

• Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was there a year later. See my post about "What I did in '71". The area I worked ran from Snoul (How well I remember it!) north to Laos and West to the Mekong at Kratie in the south and Stung Treng in the north. About 110 by 130 miles.

By then, we no longer had any US personnel in Cambodia. They swore we didn't. Technically true; we weren't allowed to set foot in Cambodia, but we sure had a heck of a lot of us OVER it. The small intel teams I inserted, monitored and sometimes extracted alive were all "little people." We used some RVN, some montagnards and even some Chinese mercenaries.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Dave Fisher15Dave Fisher15 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We jumped off from a little SF,s compound at Bu Dop, some sorry SOB stole one of my M-60's off the air craft while sittng down there one afternoon. Talk about feeling naked, just had my old .45 cal grease gun for full door gun supression later that afternoon.
  • wulf11acrwulf11acr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Greasy
    I couldn't find your name on H Company,s roster (Fleming) Do I have the wrong name?
    If I remember correctly our Colonel's name was Grail Brookshire for 2nd Squadron 11th ACR. My track was HQ66 callsign was Viking 66
    HHT 2/11ACR
    William
    billandbitch.jpg
  • korsakovkorsakov Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    I was there a year later. See my post about "What I did in '71". The area I worked ran from Snoul (How well I remember it!) north to Laos and West to the Mekong at Kratie in the south and Stung Treng in the north. About 110 by 130 miles.

By then, we no longer had any US personnel in Cambodia. They swore we didn't. Technically true; we weren't allowed to set foot in Cambodia, but we sure had a heck of a lot of us OVER it. The small intel teams I inserted, monitored and sometimes extracted alive were all "little people." We used some RVN, some montagnards and even some Chinese mercenaries.

I'm personally aware of USMC personnel in Cambodia during 1974-1975 period.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of us were there in 68&69 and again in 74.
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember when the 11th AC pulled out of Cambodia. It took them quite a while to go by our compound on HWY 4. If anyone remembers a big dummy standing by the road throwing beers up to the guys on the tracks, it was me! What a wild looking bunch: rebel flags, dogs, lawn chairs, and those wonderfull huge pioneer headphones. It was a sight to remember-a good memory. Flapjack
  • cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i personaly wasn't there, but our chinooks(228th av btln) were. the flight crews would tell some pretty crazy tales every night. right before the invasion rumors were flying around about the whole damn 1st cav going. i couldn't believe the poop they were hauling out of there every day.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I was in boot camp.[:D]
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    caveman-yeah-the Rangers down the road a half mile from us were all excited because they were going in first in our area. They were all about contraband, and bragging rights, they were like kids waiting for santa clause-Rangers are different, and thank God for Rangers. They came back with 2 deuce and a halfs full of SKS's. They stopped by on there way to Saigon to see if we wanted any for $60 a throw, they were heading in to sell them to "the Clerks" for $300 a piece! Flapjack
  • gafirlikgafirlik Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was with the 173rd abn and we were set up as a blocking force near the Laos,cambodian border. Boy were we ready for them but they never showed. I always wonder about that.