In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What were the types of 45 cal handguns used?

winchestercollector66winchestercollector66 Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited December 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
First I want to thank all those who served and fought during this conflict our hearts and prayers go out to all of you with many thanks that I am sure you hardly hear, deserve or recieve!!!

My main question is that I have recently been collecting WWI WWII and Vietnam military handguns lately and if possible would like to know some of the correct types of 45 caliber handguns used for combat during this time period? Anyhelp with this would be greatly appreciated and many thanks in advance!!!

Comments

• SAM-USMCSAM-USMC Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was with 3rd BN, 3rd MARINES, 3rd MARINE DIVISION, in 1967-68, and I was issued a COLT 45 A1.
  • sam---esam---e Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want to throw off your stats here because I wasn't ISSUED the 45 I carried, I took my own "Light Weight Commander" with me and brought it back.
    SAM
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    A lot of the 1911s I saw were probably WWII or Korean era relics, kinda used up, and tended to give this brilliant design a bad name. They all went bang when you pulled the trigger, but nobody bragged about accuracy. It was later, as a civilian, that I realized what an awesome firearm the 1911 is (After my wife bought herself a Kimber Compact 1911, in fact).
  • e3mrke3mrk Member Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the One I was issued was a Springfield,It was so long ago I may be mistaken.
  • Sur5erSur5er Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally there was one only model of the .45 ACP issued, the Model 1911A1. There were a few of the early 1911's running around but they were a rarity. No trigger finger relief cuts in the frame, straight mainspring housing and a really recessed trigger. Some of the sights were small too. In Army aviation units, pilots were issued S&W Mod 10 in .38 Special. The enlisted crews had M16's as personal weapons...............which we much preferred over the revolvers.

Dick

P.S I'd much rather have my M60 for pleasing the crowds though.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mom bought a used Colt 1911 with two extra magazines from Ye Olde Hunter, I believe for about 29.95. and MAILED it to me in Chu Lai. You could do this in 1965! I carried it just as though it was issued to me. Along with my M-14. When I left, I sold it. It was probably passed down the line quite a few times. I hope it helped someone out. Eddie, 04/09/64- 04/08/68.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by elubsme
    My Mom bought a used Colt 1911 with two extra magazines from Ye Olde Hunter, I believe for about 29.95. and MAILED it to me in Chu Lai. You could do this in 1965! I carried it just as though it was issued to me. Along with my M-14. When I left, I sold it. It was probably passed down the line quite a few times. I hope it helped someone out. Eddie, 04/09/64- 04/08/68.

[:I] Okay. [:D][:D][:D]
    What's next?
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    In 1965-66 I had just made the 25th INF. DIV...pistol team. I went back to my old MOS and company but. I took my Pistol Team 1911A1 with adjustable sights with me as well as some reloaded [:0]"target"[;)] ammo. I had to give it to Company Commander when I left Nam.
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Carried a Colt 1911A1 with the #s filed off it as a BUG Bought from a 101ST AB trooper when I arrived in country in 1968. Sold it when I left. Have carried a 1911 every day since
    Yeah this one has #s...
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Well to be honest I was a lousy shot with the 1911s we had. Which were all used. So I bought a .38 from a buddy who was short and carried that concealed on the rare occasions I went into town.

My holster of choice was a new standard issue tanker model shoulder holster I wore under my jungle fatigues...[:D]
  • Belt Fed .50 Cal.Belt Fed .50 Cal. Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was issued a Colt 1911A1. It was made in 1945. I wrote the serial no. down and checked it when I got back home. I also saw some S&W 4 in. .38 specials, probably model 10's but I'm not sure. Those were the only handguns I saw carried by Americans in Viet Nam.
  • kylewkylew Member Posts: 95 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never served but my brother is MIA since may 68 I was 4G. I own a S&W model 10 in 38 spl 4" that has markings from the "big E", the new aircraft carrier CVA 65. Either carried by an aviator or an mp, not sure.
  • BCPistolsBCPistols Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were all A1's. Flat mainspring housings were still available as spare parts, and folks that preferred a small grip liked them. Same goes for triggers, and for the same reason.