In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

In-Country Army copter "names" + art work

copternamekingcopternameking Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited August 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Great subject to explore but little documented. Always was curious to see just how creative the copter crews were in choosing "names" and art work in Nam when compared to previous wars. How much did military censorship and PC policy restrict the output and "free" expression in VN? How different and similar were the Nam copter "names" to the WWII & Korea War aircraft "names"? How much did the social turmoil at home (stateside) play upon the "names" displayed on Army copters in-country?
Myself, I served with the 114 AHC in the Mekong Delta, 1970-71.

Comments

• 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Welcome..sounds like you might have been stationed at Can Tho.

I saw some nice aircraft art on hueys and cobras, but not much.

If I had to guess I'd say it was mostly discouraged in my division, I was there in 70-71 also.
  • copternamekingcopternameking Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101

If I had to guess I'd say it was mostly discouraged in my division, I was there in 70-71 also.

Vinh Long was the home of the 114th. Can Tho was a close Delta neighbor. What unit did you serve in?
    Wouldn't it be nice if books & documentaries took it a little further and described the meaning of the words painted and who the artist were who painted them. And why some units had ZERO artwork while other copter units had a flourishing cottage industry of "names" and artwork galore.
    Most Americans know something about ENOLA GAY and THE MEMPHIS BELLE, I'm wondering if within the vet community there were certain Nam copter "names" that are more memorable than others.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I remember one. "You Maulum,We Haulum"! Medivac.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by copternameking
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101

Vinh Long was the home of the 114th. Can Tho was a close Delta neighbor. What unit did you serve in?
    Wouldn't it be nice if books & documentaries took it a little further and described the meaning of the words painted and who the artist were who painted them. And why some units had ZERO artwork while other copter units had a flourishing cottage industry of "names" and artwork galore.
    Most Americans know something about ENOLA GAY and THE MEMPHIS BELLE, I'm wondering if within the vet community there were certain Nam copter "names" that are more memorable than others.

I was in the 101st out of Camp Eagle, near Phu-Bai. But I traveled all over. I spent a fair amount time in both Can-Tho and Camau.
  • copternamekingcopternameking Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    I remember one. "You Maulum,We Haulum"! Medivac.

Pwillie, what location and year was that Medivac sighted do you recall? That's pretty good and creative. Would that have been the spelling on the dustoff nose just as you have it here? Short and sweet.
    edited November -1
    1967-68 Thon Su Nhut airbase(can't spell)I don't remember f the spelling was with a u or i....I remember the horns going off and a dozen medics running up on the pad,and when the door opened on the Huey,the stretcher was removed,and I got a look at the patient,it was a very badly shot up German Shepard that was wounded near the Michelan Plantation. That is all I care to remember. "You Maulim, we Haulim"it could have been either way.
    edited November -1
    You know, I never heard the term "Dustoff" until I came home,and saw some war movie about Viet Nam. Maybe my head was in a jar.
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spent some time on a Michelin Rubber Plantation in the II Field Force area, East of Bien Hoa during 1969. This was while that POS, Charles DeGaulle was criticizing the US in the media, after we bailed them out of Dien Bien Phu. I haven't purchased a set of Michelin tires since. It ain't an official World War until France surrenders--might take a coupla weeks but it WILL happen......
    edited November -1
    The Fench should never tried keeping Viet Nam(Indo China) after WW2,if Ike would turned it over to Ho Chi Minh,it would have become a friendly state just like it has now.Viet Namese hated the Japanese and Chinese,but there still a big French influence in the region as of now. '67-'68 along time ago,some good times and some bad times. I tryto focus on he good times.[:)]