In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vets -- Do Fireworks bother you?

River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
edited February 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
I don't like fireworks. The big ones (like what the towns shoot off) are cool, but the smaller "personal" stuff bothers me. A little too much like a firefight.

Anyone here share the same uneasiness? Note: I'm a shooter, and a shooting range doesn't bother me like that. Maybe the randomness of the firecrackers is what gets to me.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If I'm fully awake when they go off & I am somewhat expecting it, like on July 4th, it's not too bad; but if I'm asleep, and particularly if it's the whistling kind- I find myself heading for the bunker as I awaken.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, but then I wasn't on the ground; except when we occasionally had to bingo to Da Nang and then we got to experience rocket attacks. At this stage of my life I can't really think of any type of noise that causes a momentary return to Vietnam and uneasiness.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It has been 40 years,plus or minus. I learned a long time ago, like 1965, to not freak out at noises. It could get you hurt. Get it under control. Jeeze. EZ
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To me, the things that remind me of Vietnam; like a helicopter flying past, or vehicle backfires or fireworks, or certain smells, remind me of the guys I served with. It's even a better day when I wake after a Vietnam dream. If a doctor could come to my home and snap his fingers and my war experiences would disappear instantly I would NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN. I won't give them up.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Agreed, gentlemen. I wasn't referring to freakout, PTSD type stuff. Just uncomfortableness. I agree with Old-Colts that the memories do lose their sharp edges over the years. Especially if our lives have gone well, I suppose. Success, after all, is the best revenge.

God bless all of you. Hope your Fourth was a good one. RR
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The noise of fireworks don't bother me. We had a good time on the 4th watching one of our granddaughters doing the sparklers.

I had dreams about Vietnam for years after I got back, but they are no longer and I don't miss them.
  • Rick S.Rick S. Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the big ones go off ( just bang, no display) I can close my eyes and flash back. Some helicopters will do the same. Not all. More advanced now, don't sound quite the same. No freakouts. Just remembering.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OH Hell yes!! You snap your fingers and I head for a bunker. Firecrackes just send me up the wall!! God only knows what I would if a cherry bomb went off near me.

I do keep a Garand, a carbine, Carcano, Mosin Nagant, and an SKS handy in case I flip out and need to assault a NVA bunker. Tom

PS: Nov 68-Nov69
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I left VN in August 1972. VN left me about 20 years later.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not like fireworks period....I can take the range,but thats all...Hueys bring back a lost time in my mind...I don't go to cemetaries either....[:(]
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ray B
    If I'm fully awake when they go off & I am somewhat expecting it, like on July 4th, it's not too bad; but if I'm asleep, and particularly if it's the whistling kind- I find myself heading for the bunker as I awaken.

Amen brother![;)]
    But what causes me more of an emotional reaction is to hear 'taps'!!![:(] I have heard them far to many times![xx(]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55
    I left VN in August 1972. VN left me about 20 years later.

Well said, sir. And about in sync with my own timing.
  • rice paddy daddyrice paddy daddy Member Posts: 4
    edited November -1
    Even after 42 years I still have an "exaggerated startle response" that makes me jump a bit and sends a jolt of adrenaline straight into my heart at sudden, unexpected loud bangs. Sometimes that jolt hurts, too.
    Fireworks don't really bother me because i'm expecting them, however I don't care to watch them anyway.
    Another thing that gets me every time is walking into a dark room, fliping the light switch, and having the light blow out with a bright flash. One of these days this old heart is just going to stop.
  • 1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    no to fireworks, the sound of a huey shoves me back to 66
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, fireworks is not a bother. My hearing is about shot out though. Presently waiting on hearing aids from the V.A. The audiologist told me that the V.A.'s best hearting aids ($5000 class) will be able to get me up to 40 percent below normal. [:p]
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I "turtle neck" often when an unexpected loud noise sneaks up on me. I don't mind fireworks or gunfire when I know they're coming.
  • A1BigTunaA1BigTuna Member Posts: 126 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in Point Loma, Ca. Every night around 10pm Seaworld sets off fireworks. Took me a while to understand what was making me very nervious when I first moved there, as I really could not hear the booms, but could feel the concussion even from there (maybe I could sense the noise a bit). Now it does not bother me, but took a while. RVN 68&69.
  • john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to watch the bushes, trees and things like that in case I was going to be under attack here in the USA but got over that.

I took some pictures of the squatting Vietnamese in the market downtown with the "fish smell" that was so terrible. Even looking at the pictures a couple of years after I returned I could smell the fish sauce or whatever it was.

Went to a Chinese market here and it smelled just lke the market in /vietnam and for some time after I visited the market I smelled "that smell."