In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

stolen valor

frankwjfrankwj Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
edited June 2015 in US Military Veteran Forum
Is there anyone out there who was, or knows someone who was, sent to VN on TDY/TAD orders after the troop withdrawal/POW release in March 1973? I know a former Marine who claims to have been sent to DaNang in late 1974 from his base in Japan. He says he was sent there to "help get things done"; that "they" handed him a scoped rifle and told him "now you're a sniper"; says he was in-country for three months. Any input is welcomed.

Comments

• 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    By the end of 1973, almost all U.S. military personnel had left Vietnam. Military aid was cut to the south summer of 1974. Hue, DaNang, Phu-Bai fell in late 74. If the Marines felt they needed snipers to assist with the evacuation they would have sent snipers, since it a specialized field. I'd let this go, not worth making an enemy over.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    I think the title of your post says it all. If this "former Marine" is not a friend of yours, if I were you, I wouldn't consider letting him become one. An assignment like that would not be given to just anyone. There are too many trained snipers. The military just doesn't work that way, especially the Marines.
    Had he "had a few" when he said that?

SS
  • ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    3,403,100 Americans served in the broader Southeast Asia Theater. 2,709,918 served in Vietnam. In the 2000 census it is estimated only 1,002,511 who served in Vietnam are still alive. In the 2000 census 13,853,027 Americans falsely claimed to have served in Vietnam.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in and out of VN all of 74 and my last day there was jan 75. There was lots of stuff going on, most had political underpinning.
    Those were strange times vs the 68-69 yrs when it was more straight forward.
    Smoky
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    I was in and out of VN all of 74 and my last day there was jan 75. There was lots of stuff going on, most had political underpinning.
    Smoky

Please elaborate. I'm sure a lot of us are curious, I know I am.

Best,
    SS
  • frankwjfrankwj Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    Smoky

Were you military or civilian? If military, whose army?
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was military, working with civilians sometimes. We operated out of NKP, I was assigned to 1st spec ops.
    I went over on 24 Dec 73 came out 2jan75. We were trying to un-wind the involvement and make sure we didn't leave too much classified material behind. Kind of like putting the tooth paste back in the tube.
    Hope that answered some questions.

Smoky