In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mental reactions coming home

k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
edited November 2013 in US Military Veteran Forum
I think a lot about the Veterans from Nam. I was not old enough to have served at the time ( still in child s clothes) but the men and women that served there have always had my admiration.
My question to those that did is, on top of what you saw there what was your feelings coming home to people, family, friends and such that reacted in a negative for you going either by choice or draft and serving our country when you were needed.
I commend those of you that did, i feel that you received the most vile welcome home of any conflict that this country has been involved in, and also saddens me that several of the politicians today were the same people that willfully avoided going and acted as you were less than dirt coming home.

Comments

• Options
    1911builderMarine1911builderMarine Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simply put, anger and alienation that last forever.

Charles.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have friends that were in country, we talked to what they were comfortable with about their time there. I look back and all i can say is i was born too late, everyone that came back would have and still will get a welcome home and thank you.
    Forgive me for how i phrase this but each and everyone of you were invited to someone else s party and a refusal was not a option.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wasn't in Nam, but I was in during that time, latter part anyway(73-76). I had heard of the dis-respect some military people were receiving, I personally was ready to confront ANYBODY that tried to give me a hard time ...but I got none. Maybe because that war was officially over when I got out? But I did notice for me my tour of duty was like a "non-event" ...nobody thanked me or asked where I had been (they probably knew) and that lasted a number of years. Only with the Gulf War did Viet Nam Vet.s START being recognized and thanked for their service. First guy that did thank me, I originally thought he was trying to make a joke of my unit pin on my hat, I was starting to get ready to tell him where to go, when he put out his hand out to shake mine. I've learn a long time ago to deal with my experience by myself, at this time I could care less if I got another "thank you for your service" comment. But I'd be the first in line (and have) thanking the young service guys coming home. Don't think ANY Nam Vet. would every let that happen to any U.S. military personal AGAIN!
  • Options
    cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OUT OF EVERYONE I KNEW IN MY SMALL TOWN (LESS THAN 3000) I HAD 2 PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T CHANGE TOWARD ME. the rest wanted nothing to do with me. I got used to people disliking me so I still stay to myself.
    My dogs love me , everone else not so much.
  • Options
    psyops70psyops70 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think the most difficult moment for me in 71 when I got back to the world was trying to find a job, trying to relate...and having lost most of my friends in 26 months total, and 2 tours.I worked in small teams with MACVSOG in the Delta most of the time. I could not talk about what I did and no one wanted to listen anyway. I finally wised up and to fit in lied about where I was and said I was bumming around the states trying to find myself. I lied and found a job the same day. So, when the poop hit the fan and my world collapsed because I could not stay sober so I could sleep I wanted nothing to do with Nam. Sorry guys, just felt I needed to say something tonight,it usually keeps me from putting a 45 acp through my head. Thanks....
  • Options
    Gary LGary L Member Posts: 291 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came home on leave to the Port Authority Bus terminal in NYC in full uniform and got booed and spit at walking out to find my brother who was late picking me up. A NYC cop, Marine, took me in his car and drove me around until my brother finally got there. Travel to and from home from that point on was in civis.

After discharge I took a state job and got extra Vet points on the exam and the others who were not vets hated me. I took the F em all attitude and did 27 years staying to myself and now they pay me to stay home and retired.

I was air crew in a helicopter combat support squadron and never left state side, NAS Norfolk, loading and unloading ships as they came and went. Even the VFW doesn't want me because I never stepped foot on foreign lands. My life in a nut shell, graduated HS, joined the USN and went directly to prison until I retired. Napolitano considers us good candidates for home grown terrorists so I stay home.