In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Viet Namese peoples

PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
Gentlemen,
I was hatched in '69 and harbored ill thoughts of the VN people into the '80s.
For a long while they were out of sight out of mind.

Then a couple of years ago I was putting together the lame outdoor furniture we sold in our grocery store, which was made in Viet Nam.

As I'm working on a piece os furniture, the Dept. head I was assembling for walks by and throws out a long 'colorful' dissert. about the VN people.

To which I dropped everything in hand and followed the Dept.head to their work station and calmly and firmly requested to know why they had a disliking for a people that has changed over the last 40 years.

I reminded this individual that the Viet Namese people were only doing then what we did 300 plus years ago.
The VN were fighting to govern themselves how they felt they wanted to be governed. As I saw it they've been ruled over by many and had enough.

I, now, give the VN people respect for fighting for themselves; no matter what was said and done on both sides of the conflict and for how they govern themselves today.

How do you gentlemen feel about the Viet Namese people today?
just curious.

Comments

• PTHEIMPTHEIM Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    A number of people have looked and no one has an opinon about the Viet Namese people today?

Maybe you've spoken and i haven't heard.[B)]
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Its Vietnamese, not Viet Namese.

Glad I could help.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You and your opinions make sense to me.

I have no "axe to grind".

They were in a terrible situation and some survived the experience some how.

I have not been back to that beautiful part of the World, so can not comment knowingly of that area or the people living there abouts now.

I have heard little but good from all of the ex-GIs that I have spoken with after their trip there and back.

They probably did as well as we would have under simular circumstances ... perhaps much better even.

Have no bad feelings towards any Nation or Nationality.
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Lots were on our side, you know. We just couldn't tell which ones. [:0]
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had dealings with many different groups of people while in VN.

I dealt with various racial groups, different language groups and of different educational, cultural, social and economic groups.

Knew quite a number from way up North, most backing the same play that we were, some not so though.

Some of the people that I worked with were genuine and loyal to me and some were definitely not so.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the last 40 years,I have done a lot of business with Vietnamese Seafood producers.They are just as tenacious as their military. I left all of my animosities in country...as here,some are good,and some are bad....no difference...I met a group from Ho Chi Minh City awhile back,and had a good business experience.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    In the last 40 years,I have done a lot of business with Vietnamese Seafood producers.They are just as tenacious as their military. I left all of my animosities in country...as here,some are good,and some are bad....no difference...I met a group from Ho Chi Minh City awhile back,and had a good business experience.

The South Vietnamese military was tenacious? That's a new one on me.

You must be confusing them with South Korean Marines, which were called ROK's, pronounced Rocks.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101

You must be confusing them with South Korean Marines, which were called ROK's, pronounced Rocks.

[:D]
    What's next?
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101

You talking about "The Tiger" division?Yes,they were tough guys,so were the Aussie Moles....I don't think you understood my saying the Viet Namese were tough...NVA! Dumbkoff![:o)]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    I'll say one thing. The bad guys had one heck of a cruel streak. I shudder to think about what they were capable of doing to someone they didn't like.