In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Do You Feel About This?

leftyboyleftyboy Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in US Military Veteran Forum
I have been in VA treatment for PTSD 7 yrs now. My present therapist at the VA does not fully understand why I am so adamant about my resentment toward the construction of the Vietnam Memorial.
I held judgement on my feelings until I had returned from a visit to the Wall with my oldest son some years ago.
My strong feelings are this:

1. Why is our monument the ONLY one in Washington that is BLACK. Every monument of ANYTHING in our capital is WHITE. I believe there are a total of 11 monuments there. I associate a black building/ monument as being depressing, negative, and of very poor taste. Our war was hard enough to accept why did they build a depressing BLACK wall?
2. How many of you know the designer of the Wall was of Oriental decent? Why in the world, did they commission her design. Surely with the proposals presented they could have chosen one from someone other than a Oriental for such an important build that represents a war that was waged against Orientals. I would bet the WWII memorial and the Korean memorial were NOT designed by an Oriental.
Curt

Comments

• mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Start with easy one. Asian designer (Orient is really the Mid-East not Asia) Veteran Memorials can't be designed by someone of the same Race as the enemy? No Memorial can be designed by a Caucasian if the war was against Caucasians. Monuments for World War I or II, just to name two wars, should only be designed by Moguls or Negroes but not Caucasians. Besides the war was fought against the communist government of North Viet Nam who just happened to be 'Oriental'.

The first time I saw the Memorial I felt it then heard it. I had to ask my friend who guiding me what was happening. I did not know where we were and was not looking for it. In fact I had already told him that I did not want to see the Viet Nam Memorial. The Viet Nam Memorial is the only one that emits an energy that many Vets can feel. I think it is the material and it's placing. But then what do I know.
    The purpose of the other monuments are more in a single purpose of honoring someone(s) by constructing a BIG something. The Viet Nam Memorial not only honors the fallen it also helps heal. It was designed using symbolism to convey a message. While black can be depressing,as you pointed out, it can also be elegant, royal, stately, romantic, poetic, and religious. The rock itself is a Basalt. The stone that stands for strength and courage.
    Of all the monuments and memorials the Viet Nam memorial is the most symbolic and says the most. It is elegant, stately, religious, and speaks to the strength and courage of our fallen. And it says these NAMED men and women stood up, and gave their lives to do what was right.

Memorial Fund founder Jan Scruggs has said of the Viet Nam memorial "It has become something of a shrine."

It was ranked tenth on the "List of America's Favorite Architecture"
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can go see shrinks till the cows come home. it does no good, at least the sessions I've gone too never helped.I'm cronic seveir. I've been through the ptsd program 3 times. the va doctors only want to use that time to medicate you so nothing bothers you,so you can function, and keep you calm.
  • OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not a vet of vietnam, I am to young. With that being said, I have been to the wall a few times with my family to see relatives names and pray. I feel the wall was done in good taste but I also feel that it is very dark and depressing. It should have been done in White as you said.

These are the views of an outsider. God bless. Oakie
  • Wild TurkeyWild Turkey Member Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    note: Commissioned just before end; severed with some good men who were combat vets

Shrinks can only help you when you're ready for "help". I've seen a couple that have helped me turn loose of a few problems in my childhood by showing me a different way to look at things.

First question I have about your attitude is "What difference does it make?" Do you not feel "honored" because it's black?

The important part of the monument is the names. Too many good men are on that list; I'm sure you know a few. We both know men who aren't on the list but are still casualties of the war.

If you find your attitude is causing problems in your life is it time to change that attitude? Is your anger over the color more important that making the best life you can now?

What would your buddies whose names are on that monument say about your attitude?

I've been to "The Wall" and had a very mixed reaction to it but it's not for me to judge. It is what it is, and all we can change is what we feel.
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Leftyboy.
    When I read your post it made me feel sorry that a brother was hurting and I couldn't think of anything to do to help.
    Wild Turkey came along and posted what I believe is on the spot information.
    When I first heard about the wall being in the planning stages I thought "We are finally being recognized instead of being scorned and derided". I didn't give a hoot what it looked like or what it was made of, I was just happy it was happening.
    I concentrate on all the things about that memorial that make me happy and there's not enough time left over to find a fault with it.
    "Long days and pleasant nights" to you, Brother

SS