In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Viet Nam service "edited"

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
I was in the Marine Corps,went to Parris Island in May 1970 and to ITR in August 70. I was lucky enough to score high on MOS test in electronics. I was sent to Aircraft Electronics School to NAS J'ville Fla until April 71. to El Toro for more school until Oct 71,
Then i got West Pac orders to Iwakuni Japan. Arrived in Nov 71. Learned to repair Electronics on the A4E Aircraft until May 72. The Easter Offensive of 72 had started in Country. We were sent to Bien Hoa Airbase VN, in the morning of 18 May 72. by nighttime our birds had started missions. for the next 7 months i worked 18-24 hours a day with 1 day or night off each 30th day. keeping the A4's flying and loaded with Bombs,Rockets and 20MM cannons for close air support also gun pods. if a unit called for support,we had 2 planes on Hot Pad 24 hours a day and they would be airborn between 5-8 minutes. sometimes we recieved in coming 122MM rockets sometimes more than 150 at a time some morters also. Several of us were wounded,myself included.And some killed. We were issued M 16's and carried them especally at night. I was not a grunt and have never called myself one. just a Marine along with other Marines trying to help any and all Army,Marine,and and other friendly's from getting hurt or killed. I've had Some Grunts say i wasn't a real Marine. although feel at 60 yo i was and still am a Marine. Maybe i wasn't. All i know is i and other ground personal worked our * off to keep all real Marines alive.Even though i never went into the Bush. I would have if told to. I was a Marine, with two mos' 6634,and 0311.

Comments

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Okay, you didn't walk patrols. So what. You were in country and on the ground, and a rifleman first. If you ducked incoming, you were a combat vet, period.

Semper Fi brother.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    There are many spokes in a wheel, if any of them are missing the wheel doesn't run straight. You where there and you did a very important job. Thank you, and welcome home.
    W.D.
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    To D. Heffley-that's the best definition of combat I think I've ever heard. When asked if I was in combat, I used to reply "is that where they shoot at you?" as to the Marine that was at Bien Hoa, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who was really there, or that didn't have some serious problems of some kind would question another veterans service. I have never had my service questioned by anyone, but then most of my oppurtunitys to address the subject are at the VA, where EVERYONE is a veteran. I don't drink, and I'm not much of a joiner, so I avoid most war lords and blow hards. Welcome home my combat wounded brother. Flapjack
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flapjack
    To D. Heffley-that's the best definition of combat I think I've ever heard. When asked if I was in combat, I used to reply "is that where they shoot at you?" as to the Marine that was at Bien Hoa, I just find it hard to believe that anyone who was really there, or that didn't have some serious problems of some kind would question another veterans service. I have never had my service questioned by anyone, but then most of my oppurtunitys to address the subject are at the VA, where EVERYONE is a veteran. I don't drink, and I'm not much of a joiner, so I avoid most war lords and blow hards. Welcome home my combat wounded brother. Flapjack

Same to ya' brother. We lived it once, that doesn't mean we have to keep reliving it.[;)]
  • Gunny0321Gunny0321 Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    cer, Man let me tell you there ain't no Marine who is not a Grunt. And I will be happy to have a conversate with anyone who says different. My MOS says I was a Grunt 0321/8653, and weather "YOU" ever say you were or not I promise you that your MOS, no matter what it was says you were too.

Don't ever, ever let anyones WORDS tell, you are not what you are, and will be for as long as you draw air. You sir are a Marine and thats all anyone ever needs to know.....

Semper Fi Brother, Roland
  • Rick S.Rick S. Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, don't let ANYONE tell you you're not a REAL marine! You were given a job to do and you did it! Not everyone can be "Manila John." I served with 1st Recon Bn until a chicom sent me home. You deserve that P.H. and C.A.R. as much as any 03 grunt!
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rick S, it's a thing i never understood. the Officers were the only ones who rated the C.A.R. none of us enlisted rated it.
  • Rick S.Rick S. Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cer, If you were awarded a P.H. for wounds in combat. You get a Combat Action Ribbon. Period! If it's not on your DD214, somebody screwed up! Go after it! I was an E 3 lance corporal and it's on service record.

Rick
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Rick, i'll check with HQMC in Washington about it.