In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M113 FMV: Drivers, Crew, etc

david_4x4david_4x4 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited October 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
New guy here, been browsing more than anything.

Anyways, Ive recently helped a friend do a restoration of a M113 APC. Ive been curious as to learning about the M113 FMV in it's various roles as an ACAV, troop transport, medical, flame thrower, so on in Vietnam. Interested in the perspective from the the crew and the soldier who saw them in everyday use.

I haven't found any good reads book wise, so I figured I'd do some asking here.

Thanks in advance

David

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the 2/8th Inf Mech 4th Div 1968-69 in the Central Highlands. We used lots of M113's and M548's as well as M-60 tanks.

The M-113 was the work horse of our units. The "crew" consisted of a driver, TC or track commander and about 8 other soldiers. In Vietnam we rode on the top of the tracks as they provided little protection from RPG's which would go right thru the sides. They carried one .50 cal Browning machinegun operated by the TC and ideally an M-60 medium machinegun on each side, but that usually didnt happen.

I spent a lot of time on an M548 tracked cargo carrier as gunner with a .50 machinegun. My driver and I were the "crew".

One of the problems with being "mechanized" is the enemy knew when we were coming and would set up some pretty nasty ambushes.

Oh yeh, Welcome to the forums.
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Laredo Lefty quote:I was in the 2/8th Inf Mech 4th Div 1968-69 in the Central Highlands. We used lots of M113's and M548's as well as M-60 tanks.

You sure they are M60 tanks? ...Not M48's?
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeh, come to think of it your right, they were M48's. I recall they had 90mm main guns, not the 105mm used on the M60. Guess I'm getting old.
  • 11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,005 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OMG Man! Your NEVER suppose to admit to that!!! ..Even thought it's true for alot of us Vets. [:D]