In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just asking- Rock Apes?

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marines would frequently talk about bits and pieces of tales concerning rock apes...back in 66-67, and of course thereafter. I'm surprised that no former Marine grunts who served there haven't responded to your post with a tale or two of their own.
    What's next?
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recall hearing stories of the "rock apes". I was in the Army in the Central Highlands 9-68 to 9-69. The stories involved the rock apes throwing rocks at our troops (hence the name) but not attacking them. I just attributed it to monkeys getting pissed that we were invading their habitat.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Laredo Lefty
    I recall hearing stories of the "rock apes". I was in the Army in the Central Highlands 9-68 to 9-69. The stories involved the rock apes throwing rocks at our troops (hence the name) but not attacking them. I just attributed it to monkeys getting pissed that we were invading their habitat.

I figure that most anyone in country for any length of time would have heard about them, Joe, but evidently not. I don't recall any stories about anyone being attacked either. I do remember that we found the stories comical though.
    What's next?
  • Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    I heard there were quite a few on Monkey mountain on the coast east of Da Nang. Never actually seen any though. I was at Marble Mountain air facility Jan-Dec '69
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    There were hundreds of monkeys in the jungles in and around Monkey Mountain, which was east of Da Nang and near the ocean. But they were small gray monkeys.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was stationed at the Navy hospital at Danang, and could see Marble Mt. from there. We heard about apes being there and at Monkey Mt, but I never saw any.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a straight skinny so it you it is true. I spent 12 months at the foot of Monkey Mountain at Camp Tien Shaw Oct. 9,65 to Oct 11,66. Never saw or heard a monkey and as far as I know neither did any of my shipmates. 40 yrs later I mention this to a new friend who immediately starts laughing. He tell me a story. He spend time on top of Monkey Mt. both before and during my stay a Tien Shaw. This was when no one could get up the road without being shot. My friend says they had monkeys and they would throw rocks at the monkeys to chase them away. Of course the monkeys learned to throw the rocks back. One day some new boots showed up. One night the monkeys started throwing rocks and the new guys thought the rocks were grenades and started shooting at anything they thought they saw. They called in air strikes, ICBMs, mortars, flam throwers, you name it. In the morning all the monkeys had moved over somewhere else. And now you know why Monkey Mountain had no monkeys.