In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lam Sahn 719

joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
I was a UH-1C gunship pilot in with the 282nd Blackcats (Alleycat guns)in Da Nang when I was notified by my Commander I was selected to move to the 48th Bluestar (Joker Guns) who were set up in tents at Dong Ha. We flew daily through the Rockpile on to Vandergrif and staged out of Khe Sahn for flights into Laos. Our Guns supported lifts of south Vietnam troops into LZs located deep into that rotten country and were under basically constant fire from ZSU-23s, .51, and small arms fire. Our sister Unit also at Dong Ha was the 173rd AHC Robinhoods (Crossbow gunships.) Some of the more notorious Gunships of the Jokers were "God of Hellfire" and "Brother Loves Traveling Salvation Show.) Anyone out there remember these units, were in these units......love to hear from you!

Comments

• krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in 1966 i was stationed in pleiku the 282 acquired our personnel under there company this happened in july or august or possibly september thats when i rotated back to the world welcome home have you gone to the 282 website they are having a reunion in atlantic city nj in the late spring early summer in 2011 hank k
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I arrived in Da Nang in January 71 and went to the 212th CAB and flew as the gunner on the CO's bird until just before 719 started and was transferred to the 282nd. I got in on the tail end of 719 with the 282nd. My Platoon Sgt. was SFC Grundum, we both got in hot water with the CO of the 282nd ( a grade A+ AH) and I got send to Chu Lei to the 71st AHC in April or May, just after the 122 hit our hooch. When did you DEROS?
    edited November -1
    i when they assumed command of our platoon i deros dararrived in pleiku in sept and joined the in the summer ofte was sept hank k
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I was talking to Joker. We were both, at some time, in the 282nd.
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    July of 1971.......retired CW4(P) in August 1991.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joker19
    July of 1971.......retired CW4(P) in August 1991.

Joker,
    I think we missed each other in the big green latrine. If I would have stayed in the Army I could have retired in 1987, but hindsight is 20/20.
    I retired from the CSPD 9-11-99 but continued to work in AK. I am now retired (although I will do some part time work and sell some guns) and I am busier now than I have been in a long time. There is life after retirement![;)]
    edited November -1
    retired after 26 years and then flew commmercial until retirement #2 in 2005 and now own my business doing commercial and residential remodels. Going to give it all up in 2012 and travel for a couple of years and who knows what then!
    edited November -1
    try this. Go to google earth and then go to DaNang and zoom into Marble Mt. and our old area......WOW has it changed!!!! Runway is still there....I wore a lot of skid toes off doing the Charlie Model Shuffle.......T/O weight way exceeded the max weight allowed.
    edited November -1
    try this. Go to google earth and then go to DaNang and zoom into Marble Mt. and our old area......WOW has it changed!!!! Runway is still there....I wore a lot of skid toes off doing the Charlie Model Shuffle.......T/O weight way exceeded the max weight allowed.

We had several crew-chiefs get left behind. They would run along side to help get off the ground and then could not get back o the skids!!![:D]
    The Mike Model changed all that!
    I often wonder how I made it to this age. I tell people there were at least three poor souls who did not have guardian angles, as I must have had at least four of them![;)]
    edited November -1
    It always amazes me how when you bring up a specific event how many of our "VIETNAM" vets fall short of an answer. I for one think that the fakers are far more than the actuals. Lam Sahn was a major event and no one responds..............must not know how!!!!!!!
  • rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here we go again I am, your not, who knows. Here is a little bit of info,

"Vietnam War Facts: Facts, Statistics, Fake Warrior Numbers, and Myths Dispelled:
    9,087,000 military personnel served on active duty during the official Vietnam era from August 5, 1964 to May 7, 1975. 2,709,918 Americans served in uniform in Vietnam.
    Vietnam Veterans represented 9.7% of their generation.

As of the current Census taken during August 2000, the surviving U.S. Vietnam Veteran population estimate is: 1,002,511. This is hard to believe-losing nearly 711,000 between '95 and '00. That's 390 per day. During this Census count, the number of Americans falsely claiming to have served in-country is: 13,853,027. By this census, FOUR OUT OF FIVE WHO CLAIM TO BE Vietnam vets are not."

I have the whole article if anyone is interested or you can search the form I have posted it before.
    edited November -1
    Not too sure how old you are but the rest of us are getting up there! It's been 40 years since I was there for my last tour. Most of the VN Vets are in thier 70s now................it is not surprising that they are going at that rate!
    edited November -1
    to joker 19 i am 64 years old if you ment it about my age i was in country sept 65 thru sept 66 i was 19 years old at that time
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Not too sure how old you are but the rest of us are getting up there! It's been 40 years since I was there for my last tour. Most of the VN Vets are in thier 70s now................it is not surprising that they are going at that rate!

Actually most are in their 60s now. Even if someone was there in 64 @ the ripe ole age of 18, well you do the math. My wife was there in 70 and myself I was there in 71 and my wife just turned 60. My wife's ex was there in 69 and he is in his early 60s.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MMOMEQ-55

Actually most are in their 60s now. Even if someone was there in 64 @ the ripe ole age of 18, well you do the math. My wife was there in 70 and myself I was there in 71 and my wife just turned 60. My wife's ex was there in 69 and he is in his early 60s.
    [^] soon to be 67.[:D] Ed
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I got out of the hospital and out of the Army Nov 12, 1969, I'll be 61 on Dec. 24.
    W.D.
  • rivethookrivethook Member Posts: 163 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wish I could remember my early 60's, [:(!] crap wish I could remember last week. VN in 66 in my early 70's now, oh well [:p]
    edited November -1
    WOW!! Krawiech.....READ THE POST!!!!!! It was not for you, it was for Rivethook. If you can't figure out the post....DO NOT RESPOND!!
    edited November -1
    to joker 19 sorry to offend you but who do you think you are god made erasers for correcting mistakes so get off your high horse hank k
    edited November -1
    Hank.........TAKE YOUR MEDS...........it won't seem so bad after that!
    edited November -1
    to joker 19 are yougoing to the 282 reunion in atlantic city in june of 2011 i was with the 282 in 1966 they took over operations of our company in pleiku but our company hq was is in danang i also heard they took over another company further south than pleiku we did not have any gun ships at that time our call sign was blackcats our gun ships were provided by the 119 ahc in pleiku
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by krawiech
    to joker 19 are yougoing to the 282 reunion in atlantic city in june of 2011 i was with the 282 in 1966 they took over operations of our company in pleiku but our company hq was is in danang i also heard they took over another company further south than pleiku we did not have any gun ships at that time our call sign was blackcats our gun ships were provided by the 119 ahc in pleiku

I was not aware the 282nd had an association!!! Do you have any info on their wed site/association/reunion? If so please share it with me.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    edited November -1
    to jim rau here is the website for the 282 blackcats282ahc@earthlink.net the password is zippo call this number 910-822-2902 here is another site you might be intersted in www.vhfcn-l@vhfcn.org vietnam helicopter flight crew network the 282 website can get you registered on their organization they also send out info about meetins reunions
    edited November -1
    Thank you. I will follow this up.
    Jim
    edited November -1
    to jim rau here is a phone number you can call about membership in the black cats 282ahc site hank k the number is910-822-2902
  • startrek512startrek512 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just stumbled on to this conversation while looking for the dates of the reunion and the exact location.

I was a crewchief on a UH-1M attached to the 282

We were the first night vision gunships.

1970/1971

Joey Douan FLIR Team 70/71 Star Trek 512
    2418 Lantern St
    Charleston SC 29414
    843-270-9914