In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

veteran discounts?

littleperklittleperk Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
edited January 2014 in US Military Veteran Forum
Made a trip to Lowes the other day. I took a copy of my DD214 to get the 10% discount as normal. The clerk at Lowes informed me that they no longer accepted the DD214 as proof of military service. I was advised that I had to have a VA card, an active duty card or a green retired veteran card. I did 8 years in the military including one tour in Viet Nam. Yet I can't get a lousy 10% discount at Lowes because I am not presently active, retired or have not yet needed to go to the VA. I was always told that the DD214 with picture ID was the best form of identification available. Seems not. Kind of pisses me off. Goodby Lowes.

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    AMEN Go to the Va. I have been out of the army since 1966 never uesd or had any desire to use VA benefits but when through getting a DD 214 and ID card. Found out I could get free Hearing aids and batteries for life
    would cost over 5K on the out side. The card that lowes wants is the tip of the iceburg on what is out there.
  • littleperklittleperk Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Went to the VA. First thing they asked me for was a copy of my DD214. Go figure.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by littleperk
    Went to the VA. First thing they asked me for was a copy of my DD214. Go figure.

"Go figure", are you kidding or still trying to be sarcastic???[?]
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    My NAPA auto parts store gives me a veterans discount.
    W.D.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My suggestion: take your DD214 to the VA and register for care and get the ID card even if you don't participate in their medical care. perryshooter's advice is good... I'm a "Vietnam-era" vet who never left the USA and spent my time mostly in the classroom and learning to fly; upon discharge, I never really thought of myself as a veteran since I was never in combat...and I was surprized at the benefits that I was entitled to. The biggest was VA medical care; I went to the VA while attending college under the GI Bill, just to see if I could get my blood-pressure meds cheap.....ended up with free meds plus a small monthly check for a SC condition..plus a wonderful young doctor who really took care of my medical needs while I was a young college student. Fast-forward 32 years, I'm now retired from a good job with good benefits (can see any private doctor) but I still prefer my VA team..my point is: get enrolled, get your card and flash it when you want a discount. You served and you deserve it...serving a tour in Vietnam is a huge deal and you deserve more than a 10% discount, to be sure.....get your card and make Lowe's give you the 10% on a big-ticket item.....take perryshooters advice..God Bless
  • drafteedraftee Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Home Depot also gives a 10% discount to veterans.