In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any one been back there ???

babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
edited December 2018 in US Military Veteran Forum
I was talking to a old friend last night, he's a Vietnam vet, {I'm not}, and he said he has this urge to go back there on a vacation trip.
Got me thinking...Have any of you been back there, say in the last 5 years or so? What was it like? In a general sort of way please, NOT asking for your inner most feelings- those are for you alone.

Comments

• Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have thought about it mostly for the curiousity factor. Would probably take my 37 yr old son who was born 6 years after I was there. I would like to see what has become of the places I spent time.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Go ahead and go Joe, I'll stay here and polish your 696.
    I have no desire to go back, not ever.
    W.D.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Our daughter and son-in-law took a trip overseas two years ago and on part of the trip they spent some time in Da Nang, Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City), and Hanoi. They said they were really surprised at how modern those places were, especially Da Nang.

I was particularly interested in Da Nang since that is where we'd land if we couldn't get back to the carrier (for whatever reason). I drank through a number of rocket attacks there, waited for the Marines to finish fire fights on the end of the runway before we could land, and had some great times drinking in the Red Dog Saloon (see rocket attacks). However, I guess the airstrip is gone now, so I probably wouldn't recognize the place.

I'd go back, but I'm not setting aside any money for the trip!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• rice paddy daddyrice paddy daddy Member Posts: 4
    edited November -1
    I go back to Vietnam every day. Have for the last 42 years.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I have a friend that is an importer from VN. He goes there every month on business. He has offered me a free trip over there with him if I wanted to go. I have been thinking about this for over 2 years now. I want to but I am afraid of what I might find something I left over there.
  • BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, nothing there I need to see again.
  • Gene248Gene248 Member Posts: 358
    edited November -1
    Thought about returning to Marble Mountain Air Facility outside of Da Nang once. Looked it up on the internet and saw pictures of what it is now. It is still being used but looks nothing like it did in '69
  • Sky SoldierSky Soldier Member Posts: 460
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately, I occasionally have to make a trip back there, but happily, as soon as I wake up I'm home again.
    SS
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Everything is overgrown. No "Ah-Ha" moment awaits us. Any feelings we might experience will arrive with the next bank statement. You can't pay any more for a vacation and get as little in return for your money than by going to Asia.

But keep in mind that our D.N.A.'s have stayed behind and hung around with the D.N.A.'s of all of our buddies and the buddies of each other. And although we here on this forum will swear that we have never met--The most amateur detective or forensic scientist would say we are wrong. You have been together for years and always will be.
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will not go back....once was enough 1967-68
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like to replace a great pair of tan outdoor pants made in Vietnam having the label Islamorada Flats by Quest. They're featherweight, don't wrinkle, have zip off legs and full elastic waistband.
    They are the best lightweight pants I've ever had.
    I'd like to replace these and also get another pair without the zip legs.
    No outdoor store carries this same fabric.
    Could your friend get a lead on a USA retailer?
    Thanks
    Bob
    1Flybob@comcast.net is my valid email. I've pissed off the mgmt of GB so they wont allow me to update my email address.
    I'm a Korean War Vet who wouldn't pizz on the best part of Korea.
    Once we were offered a free return visit.
    Like many Vetnam vets I still have a repeating nightmare of a particular dicy situation I survived.
  • Rick S.Rick S. Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure most of the places I was, when not on patrol, are just over grown jungle now as they were combat outposts or observation posts on various hills. A couple of exceptions are the resort at BaNa s.w. of DaNang. It was a French resort in the 1920's that was abandoned and falling down. Now it's been developed and a fabulous resort once again.
    The other is my old rear area, Camp Reasoner. LZ and all hootches gone but the the front gate with 1st Recon Bn emblem is still there. Don't know why they didn't tear it down. I saw it on youtube.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I came out in Jan of 75 and didn't leave a damn thing there to go back for. My visits at night are unwanted and too frequent.

Smoky
  • pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Our daughter and son-in-law took a trip overseas two years ago and on part of the trip they spent some time in Da Nang, Saigon (now Ho Chi Minh City), and Hanoi. They said they were really surprised at how modern those places were, especially Da Nang.

I was particularly interested in Da Nang since that is where we'd land if we couldn't get back to the carrier (for whatever reason). I drank through a number of rocket attacks there, waited for the Marines to finish fire fights on the end of the runway before we could land, and had some great times drinking in the Red Dog Saloon (see rocket attacks). However, I guess the airstrip is gone now, so I probably wouldn't recognize the place.

I'd go back, but I'm not setting aside any money for the trip!

I was stationed at Fleet Air Support Unit Danang from May 70-May 71. The Red Dog Saloon was named after the CO, CDR D.D. ?Red Dog? Davis. I pumped a lot of JP-4 and downloaded a lot of ordnance for you guys on Yankee Station.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pawnee66

I'd go back, but I'm not setting aside any money for the trip!I was stationed at Fleet Air Support Unit Danang from May 70-May 71. The Red Dog Saloon was named after the CO, CDR D.D. ?Red Dog? Davis. I pumped a lot of JP-4 and downloaded a lot of ordnance for you guys on Yankee Station.I didn't know that; thanks for the information, very interesting!!!!!

I was in VAW-115 assigned to the USS Midway (CVA-41). We were in the Gulf from April 1972 until March 1973.

Were you in VRC-50?

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I left my right testicle there and about a gallon of blood. I will not buy items made there and would never return.
  • pawnee66pawnee66 Member Posts: 223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pawnee66

I'd go back, but I'm not setting aside any money for the trip!I was stationed at Fleet Air Support Unit Danang from May 70-May 71. The Red Dog Saloon was named after the CO, CDR D.D. ?Red Dog? Davis. I pumped a lot of JP-4 and downloaded a lot of ordnance for you guys on Yankee Station.I didn't know that; thanks for the information, very interesting!!!!!

I was in VAW-115 assigned to the USS Midway (CVA-41). We were in the Gulf from April 1972 until March 1973.

Were you in VRC-50?

No, I was with FASU DaNang. VRC-50 had a Det across the ramp from our line.
  • paper chaserpaper chaser Member Posts: 7
    I was never in country so I have no vote in this; however, I have a couple of friends (combat vets) who wouldn't go back
    if you gave them all the gold in Fort Knox.  
    SASS #54926
    Mississippi
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Most of us go back, snatching a memory from here and there, some more so than others.  Like Old Colts mentioned, the airstrip at Da Nang is probably gone, along with the Red Dog Saloon, and Dog Patch, itself.
    What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Rick S. said:
    I'm sure most of the places I was, when not on patrol, are just over grown jungle now as they were combat outposts or observation posts on various hills. A couple of exceptions are the resort at BaNa s.w. of DaNang. It was a French resort in the 1920's that was abandoned and falling down. Now it's been developed and a fabulous resort once again.
    The other is my old rear area, Camp Reasoner. LZ and all hootches gone but the the front gate with 1st Recon Bn emblem is still there. Don't know why they didn't tear it down. I saw it on youtube.
    Finished my 13 month tour in mid-March 1967.  Remember Hill 327, Da Nang, An Hoa, Happy Valley, and Dong Ha, Cam Lo, and Camp J.J. Carroll  very well.  I'm glad they did not tear the monument to Camp Reasoner down...just let it live as a reminder to him, the organization, and their past.
    What's next?
  • ChiefChief Member Posts: 2

40th Air Rescue and Recovery Sq. out of NKP Thailand 67-68 also in and out of Loas , Cambodia, Viet Nam.

No, I wouldn't go back if they offered me a free trip. I always remember how our pows were treated and too many body bags. That's the kind of people they are, then and now.

• Fairlane66Fairlane66 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭

ESPN just released a short film about Pittsburgh Steelers' running back, Rocky Bleier, that featured his return to Viet Nam. It may be of interest to some of you: https://espnpressroom.com/us/press-releases/2019/08/new-espn-film-takes-steelers-great-rocky-bleier-on-emotional-return-to-vietnam/

I have a good friend who was shot and nearly bled out in a Viet Nam rice paddy. He has no interest in returning. However, a younger friend recently visited Saigon and enjoyed the trip. However, there are plenty of museums that feature anti-American propaganda. Nonetheless, the average guy on the street, he says, is quite friendly and interested in Americans.

• pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Let me start by state i am not a vet , deaf men don't last long in the jungle . I have many friends who went to Nam and survived to come home ,mostly .A few of them still havent made it all the way and i dont think they ever will. Cant myself see any reason they would want to return .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,275 ******

I totally agree with you pulsarnc. My father fought in the South Pacific during WWII and took his hate for our then enemies to his grave many years later.