In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

USMC manpower and casulty reports UPDATE

cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in US Military Veteran Forum
Does anyone (Marines, Navy) know where I can find these reports including after action reports.For the Marines Oic had to fill them out in VN? any help and I will be greatful. it's for an award I am due even after 40+ years. thanks
I found most of all reports I need.
Thanks everyone who Helped.

Comments

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might find what you are looking for by using Google and typing in your battalion and regiment. For example, if you were in 3/4, type in 3rd Battalion, 4th Marines (3/4)- US Marines in Vietnam. This is what I do when I want check out records of the units that I was with in the NAM. Good luck.
    What's next?
  • cercer Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks kimi, I found part of what I need, i'm going to have to look further.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cer
    Thanks kimi, I found part of what I need, i'm going to have to look further.

You're welcome. A lot of the reports are mysteriously missing, such as those involving Mike 3/3 for October of 1966. That's when one of our phantom jets dropped a couple of bombs off target killing 17 Marines including a couple of our corpsmen. Not a pretty sight at all when all 17 bodies, or what was left of them, were placed on 13 stretchers side by side.

Good luck in your search and aim. Maybe contacting the national archives would help.
    What's next?
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    About ten years ago I was doing some research tracking down daily reports of Marine units. I forget where I sent the request but I got some DVDs that had scanned copies of the daily reports for the times/units requested. a fellow vet checked with the Army for the same info & ws turned down- was told the army was too big to find those records.
    edited November -1
    Good to hear old timer. [:)]
    What's next?
    edited November -1
    I'm going to print out all reports that pertain to me and contact my congressman's office and let them go from there. I've learned since I've been fighting the va, and military they pay more attention to a congressman, or senator. any Marine who needs a link i'll be glad to share. ( the copies are at Texas Tech University)
  • rbackstrrbackstr Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marine Corps After Action reports are at http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm In the incident with M/3/3 could not find it in October reports because it happened on 10 Dec 17 KIA 11 WIA - at 1245 "M/3/3 (XD958592) 2 250 lb bombs which apparently missed target area and went long over ridge landing in M/3/3 PSN, resulting in 17 USMC KIA and 11 USMC WIA." page 13 of 3/3 December 1966 Command Chronology may not be completely correct, but this is what was recorded.
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone who replied.
    Semper Fi
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rbackstr
    Marine Corps After Action reports are at http://www.recordsofwar.com/vietnam/usmc/USMC_Rvn.htm In the incident with M/3/3 could not find it in October reports because it happened on 10 Dec 17 KIA 11 WIA - at 1245 "M/3/3 (XD958592) 2 250 lb bombs which apparently missed target area and went long over ridge landing in M/3/3 PSN, resulting in 17 USMC KIA and 11 USMC WIA." page 13 of 3/3 December 1966 Command Chronology may not be completely correct, but this is what was recorded.

Thanks Top. My memory has faded a bit. October is when we arrived in Dong Ha.
    What's next?