In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WHEN WE WERE YOUNG

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
When you get the chance, post up some old pictures of yourself and your buds. Here's a couple of mine during the Vietnam era, but in different locations:

OPERATION TULUNGAN FEBRUARY TO APRIL 1962
MAMBURAO, PHILIPPINES
Completely Out Of This World
Camp John H. Glenn
Home of BLT 3/4 (North) USMC

Yours truly, front rank 2nd from right

52302cb5-16d0-4574-bc5a-466581b30980_zpsd14faa84.jpg

MCRD SAN DIEGO, CA, 1968

With the guidon
3a50f998-cd2c-4be7-9a18-0896ccf9bb76_zps903b3e61.jpg
What's next?

Comments

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    We were so much younger then, we're older than that now!

Here is a scan of our Company picture from Boot Camp (1967). I'm in the second row up from the bottom, including the row that is kneeling, 3rd from the right.

PB Picture removed.

Here is scan of our Company Petty Officers. I'm in the third row up from the bottom, including the row that is kneeling, 2nd from right. I have no idea how I made Petty Officer in Boot Camp; they must have seen traits that suggested I was destined for leadership! [:I] [:D]

PB Picture removed.

1972-73, Tonkin Gulf, USS Midway (CVA-41), VAW-115, E2B Aircrew. Flying Airborne Early Warning and Strike Control missions.

PB Picture removed.

Onboard the USS Midway (CVA-41), Tonkin Gulf, just outside the Avionics Shop, 1972. Hair complements of the Zumwalt era and my rebellious nature! My feeling at the time was; I did my job very well and if they wanted to suspend me from flying, well, no problem, less chance of crashing and burning!!!!!

PB Picture removed.

Getting some kind of award from my skipper on the hanger deck of the Midway (1973-74).

PB Picture removed.

Me and my mom at my youngest sister's wedding (1975). It was mom's request that I wear my Navy duds! [:I]

PB Picture removed.

The modern era; back on the USS Midway in front of an E2 (2005).

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great pictures! I'll try to dig some more up after T-Day too.
    What's next?
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fort Ord Ca, Army Basic Training... top row 5th from left.
    [img][/img]wXoLifc.jpg

Nam with my 16.... That flak vest later saved my *.
    [img][/img]YLBWOT2.jpg[/i

With my 60
    [img][/img]Je9oLIO.jpg

Ah yes, when we were young. Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end.
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    We were so much younger then, we're older than that now!

Here is a scan of our Company picture from Boot Camp (1967). I'm in the second row up from the bottom, including the row that is kneeling, 3rd from the right.

BootCamp-Group-05gbfa_zps7b866d85.jpg

Here is scan of our Company Petty Officers. I'm in the third row up from the bottom, including the row that is kneeling, 2nd from right. I have no idea how I made Petty Officer in Boot Camp; they must have seen traits that suggested I was destined for leadership! [:I] [:D]

BootCamp-POs-01gbfa_zps64f86c9e.jpg

1972-73, Tonkin Gulf, USS Midway (CVA-41), VAW-115, E2B Aircrew. Flying Airborne Early Warning and Strike Control missions.

Old-ColtsVietnam-1972USSMidwaygbfb.jpg

Onboard the USS Midway (CVA-41), Tonkin Gulf, just outside the Avionics Shop, 1972. Hair complements of the Zumwalt era and my rebellious nature! My feeling at the time was; I did my job very well and if they wanted to suspend me from flying, well, no problem, less chance of crashing and burning!!!!!

Bill-TonkinGulf1972_0001gbfa_zpsa74b6b88.jpg

Getting some kind of award from my skipper on the hanger deck of the Midway (1973-74).

Bill-USSMidway1973_0001gbfa_zpse309695d.jpg

Me and my mom at my youngest sister's wedding (1975). It was mom's request that I wear my Navy duds! [:I]

BillandMom-1975gbfa_zps79e20588.jpg

The modern era; back on the USS Midway in front of an E2 (2005).

Old-ColtsinfrontofE2.jpg

[^][^][^][^][^][^][^]
  • riflemikeriflemike Member Posts: 10,599
    edited November -1
    i was born about 2 years too late for VN...i feel guilty sometimes[:(]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by riflemike
    i was born about 2 years too late for VN...i feel guilty sometimes[:(]

Don't feel guilty, unless you like goals of nation-building with the blood of our youth.
    What's next?
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "nation building" Is that what we were doing, glad I finally found out WTH I was doing.[:p]

Smoky
    edited November -1
    [:D] As unsuccessful as it was to that end.
    What's next?