In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 97 Trench gun

shooter10shooter10 Member Posts: 461 ✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
I am looking for anyone that has a picture of a 97 trench gun in Vietnam. And any story\ies of how it performed. I am really hoping someone might have a picture of themselves with the 97 they used while there.
I would be most greatful and pay for any cost incurred. Thank you all for checking this.

Comments

• Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Go to Yahoo, click on images, type in Winchester 1897, they have some pic there. We only used Winchester model 12's in Vietnam.

But I've been told the model 97 was used in nam by some American forces, mostly Navy and Marines.

Good luck.
  • Options
    1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a 97 trench in a Tacoma pawn shop the spring of 66, carried it and 4 boxes of double 0 in my duffel bag to the 1st Inf Div, never did get to pack it except when we were back in base camp. Traded it for a 357 which I still have.
  • Options
    70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    My unit was pretty strict on what we were allowed to carry in the field.

Basically, if it wasn't issued to you, you weren't allowed to carry it in the field.

But a few guys I knew owned M-3s and M-1s that they bought from short times, but they were personal weapons that never left our base.
  • Options
    River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Never saw a '97, although I'm certain just about any firearm you mention could be placed in VN at some time. We were supposed to have one shotgun on each patrol boat, for when a radioman might be placed on the beach. But these were pretty much forgotten after the M16 was in general use.