In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

R&R Anyone?

70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
edited December 2010 in US Military Veteran Forum
I took mine in Sydney with a buddy, we did a little deep sea fishing one day, rented a Jeep, ran out of gas and got lost in the outback for a few hours...[:)]

Comments

• huffmanitehuffmanite Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was scheduled to take my R&R in Sydney in late 1969, but army messed up my trip. LOL, I was in first group withdrawn from Nam and ended up at Schofield Barracks on Oahu in Hawaii for about 4 months. Made a deal with my officier in charge of our 2 man Battalion S2 section who had no experience in S2 work. Captain got me exempt from any extra duty and I could leave our office after I'd finished any work needed and etc. in return for me taking care of all the S-2 work. Spent many a weekday afternoon on Schofield's golf course or enjoying the sights of the island on weekends.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okinawa, both times.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took mine in Hawaii to meet the wife....she failed to show up!

NOW THAT WAS A DEAR JODIE[xx(]
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smoky14
    Took mine in Hawaii to meet the wife....she failed to show up!

NOW THAT WAS A DEAR JODIE[xx(]

Wow!! Sorry..[:0]
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    Singapore. A great place that exceeded my expectations.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okinawa
    What's next?
  • StingSting Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hong Kong twice.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sting
    Hong Kong twice.

Great place to buy a few custom tailored suits for under $100.00.

That's what a few guys in my unit did..[8D]
  • uplandhunter2uplandhunter2 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was a cheapass and didn't take R&R, bought a new 67 El Camino when I got home. Almost 3 grand out the door.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by uplandhunter2
    I was a cheapass and didn't take R&R, bought a new 67 El Camino when I got home. Almost 3 grand out the door.

Vung Tau had a nice incountry R&R center, it had miles of beachs, hundrens of bars speard around the city and lots more...[;)]
  • uplandhunter2uplandhunter2 Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 70-101
    quote:Originally posted by uplandhunter2

Vung Tau had a nice incountry R&R center, it had miles of beachs, hundrens of bars speard around the city and lots more...[;)]

Too late now, besides My pay was $330 a month, so I sent $300 home and lived on the $30. Funny how things go around as now I'm retired and feels like I'm living on $30 again....LOL
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I sent my money home and did not take am R&R either tour,[:(] but I got a 10 day drop both times![8D]
    edited November -1
    Sorry for going off topic, but it's my thread..[;)]

Did anyone order a car while in Nam and have it waiting on them when they got home?

I certainly didn't, because of frequent Article 15's..[B)]
  • joker19joker19 Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Vung Tau,Grand Hotel.
  • prangleprangle Member Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hawaii to meet the wife there.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pwillie
    Vung Tau,Grand Hotel.

We used to call Vung Tau little America, because it was the most Americanized city in Vietnam, and a favorite retreat for nurses on weekend get aways. But if you weren't an officer you had no chance with them.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello 70-101 I ordered a car while in country . I got home one week before the car got to the dealer . First 1967 Dodge RT sold in Va.
    got locked up 2 days before My car got there because I climbed a fence to measure the rear wheel wells and measure the Exhaust system of a GTX the other dealer had. got bailed out by my friend. I wanted to be able to run my car on the Drag Strip the first week end I had it. Put 500 miles on it the first 2 days I had it and Raced it the third day . Won my class Pure Stock [^] dealer dropped trespassing charges[}:)][:D][:)][:0][:I]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Hello 70-101 I ordered a car while in country . I got home one week before the car got to the dealer . First 1967 Dodge RT sold in Va.
    got locked up 2 days before My car got there because I climbed a fence to measure the rear wheel wells and measure the Exhaust system of a GTX the other dealer had. got bailed out by my friend. I wanted to be able to run my car on the Drag Strip the first week end I had it. Put 500 miles on it the first 2 days I had it and Raced it the third day . Won my class Pure Stock [^] dealer dropped trespassing charges[}:)][:D][:)][:0][:I]

Hi...Did you order it through the PX? I live in Virginia now but I grew up in Maryland, and use to go to Aquasco Speedway, Capitol Raceway and Beltsville Speedway through out most of the 60s. You familiar with any of those tracks? I never raced, but my neighbor did, and I used to tag along with him ocassionaly and watch. I even got in free when I was with him, those were good times...[8D]
  • strawberrystrawberry Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a brand new Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 Hi-po engine a big Hurst four speed shifter and all that good stuff you dream about back in the World.Red in color and cost $2800.00. Picked it up in Orlando Fl. at the Plymouth dealership said it was ready to go got in with my future wife and made it almost out of the parking lot were I ran out of gas what a bummer waited eieght months for this, Sin Loi Moi [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by strawberry
    Got a brand new Plymouth Road Runner with a 383 Hi-po engine a big Hurst four speed shifter and all that good stuff you dream about back in the World.Red in color and cost $2800.00. Picked it up in Orlando Fl. at the Plymouth dealership said it was ready to go got in with my future wife and made it almost out of the parking lot were I ran out of gas what a bummer waited eieght months for this, Sin Loi Moi [8D]

Awesome...I love the 68-69 Road Runner, a poor mans GTX..[;)]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a 7 day leave and an R&R. Went to Singapore and Sidney Australia.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After about 8-9 months in country, I started putting in for Thailand, figuring it'd increase my chances af getting there. Just about all of my buddies had been there to Thailand, some more than once. Last attempt to get there, I was to meet up with three good buddies there. We already had contacts and friends in Thailand too.

After getting bounced off the plane once by a top NCO [V] and three times by officers [:(!] ... Figured it'd be a crying shame to bite the dust and never have left VN on R&R!

I then took what was available ... Taiwan. I needed to get out of country for a bit. Enjoyed every moment in Taiwan! Left there with just pennies for money. Money spent very readily there!
  • KansasGuyKansasGuy Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bangkok for the first.
    Absolutely beautiful country. The temples and gardens etc. were incredible in the ancient city and the one south of Bangkok. Great people - at least the ones I met. My cab driver (had him for me and a buddy for all week) would send me fruit back with other guys I sent to him. That is until one of the guys got caught with mangoes and they said we could not import theminto Vietnam..bugs? I thought VN owned all the bugs in the world and bred them for export.

Taipei Taiwan for the 2nd.Another interesting city, without the ancient aspect of Bangkok. Busy city. Nice people.

Hong Kong for the third R&R (2nd Tour). One of the busiest cities in the world. Fascinating as well. We got a list of where we could NOT go. Some parts of Hong Kong and New Territories - Kowloon. Some Hotels were on the "No Go" list due to money trade with Chinese.
    First we went to the Hilton on the island - but could not stand the British management. They treated the Chinese like cattle and us not much better. We checked out and went to a friendlier hotels in New Territories on the mainland. Seems like I spent a lot of time going back and forth on the ferry. What ever you wanted to do - you could find it.
    About 3 minutes after I got into the room - knock on the door. I figured the local pimp. Wrong - it was the suit guy. Measured me for the suit and I got it the next day. Now that's fast!
    Lots of things to do, food to eat and other things to do- use your imagination.
    Ate on a boat in Aberdeen Fishing Village. The fish was caught about 30 minutes before I ate it.

I was exhausted after this one - some R&R huh?

Could not go to Macau. Communist run. They did not like us back then. Probably not now either. Just like our money.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    Bangkok twice, Taipei once and Sydney once.
  • cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i did r&r in sydney may '70. i have been trying to get back for ever since. i wonder if a certain aussie babe would recognize me after 40 yrs. or me her for that matter. lol!
  • psychologistpsychologist Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    went to Taipei in 1968/I was slightly angered because they had girls in our room waiting for us. It was much better the next day when I chose my own.We used to call it I&I for intercourse and intoxication, and it was.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by psychologist
    went to Taipei in 1968/I was slightly angered because they had girls in our room waiting for us. It was much better the next day when I chose my own.We used to call it I&I for intercourse and intoxication, and it was.

We stayed at the Grand Hotel. There was 3 of us and we had a 3 bedroom suite. There for 4 nights and each night we switched girls. All 3 of us had to report to sick bay a few days later for two shots to the buttocks. LMAO It was worth it.[:D]
  • 1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sydney 66, didn't have time for fishing or sight-seeing, best pickup line going, was to stop any good looking young lady on the street while wearing your uso rented clothes and explain that since you were new to the country you didn't want to break any laws, 9 times out of 10 they would ask what you were worried about.."your reply "is it against the law to eat a bird" when my 7 days were up I'd almost have gave my left arm for another 7 days[:p]
    edited November -1
    I found that wearing my uniform in Sydney was the best pick up line. For 4 days I didn't have to spend a dime and had beautiful women and plenty of booze all for free.[:D]
    edited November -1
    Pretty cool thread. Thanks to all who contributed.

Happy New Year Guys.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    On our 72-73 cruise (USS Midway CVA-41 - VAW-115); Subic Bay, Philippines was the base of operations for our Carrier Group when we came off the line (Gulf of Tonkin) for R&R. However, occasionally we broke the monotony and visited Hong Kong (several times) and Singapore (once, Christmas 1972 with the Bob Hope Show aboard).

I did have several unscheduled one night R&R's in Da Nang when a fouled deck forced us to land elsewhere and return to the carrier the next day! We stayed on base and spent the evening in the Red Dog Saloon, but it seems a rocket attack was always schedule for us when we were there; we felt special! [:D]

This is a picture of Bob Hope and this troop at the end of his Christmas 1972 Show on the Midway.

PB Picture removed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• krawiechkrawiech Member Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the first one in 1966 was to saigon my second one in 66 was to dalat they didnt want us to leave the country dalat was beautiful so were the college women my friend and i rented a villa for a week hank k