In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

christmas '69

cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
christmas 1969. where were you? i was at bear cat,rvn. got half the day off. now, that was a christmas present i'll never forget.

Comments

• MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cavman 69
    christmas 1969. where were you? i was at bear cat,rvn. got half the day off. now, that was a christmas present i'll never forget.

Still in HS trying to get into the Pait twins pants.[:D]
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was discharged April 08, 1968. My new wife and I flew back to Pa. to visit my parents for the Christmas of '69. Jeanne, Jake and I went tobogganing. I broke my leg [:0] Bummer. Ed
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Home, I got out Nov. 12 1969 so I was home haveing a good time.
    Christmas 68 I was at Black Hawk fire base.
    W.D.
  • IronrifleIronrifle Member Posts: 664
    edited November -1
    Home for the fist time in 3 years! `68 I was at FSB Concord near Long Binh..
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    VT-29, NAS Corpus Christi; Vietnam was still a couple of years away for me.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Tuy Hoa VN
    Just South on QUI NHON

Thanks---Peabo
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Platoon Commander, Company "A", 1st Recruit Training Battalion, Recruit Training Regiment, MCRD, San Diego, California
    What's next?
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    Christmas of 1969 I was still with the 2nd/36th Infantry 3AD out of Kirch Goens Germany, but not for long.
  • nighttrainridernighttrainrider Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spent Xmas 69 in Okinawa, my unit charlie co 9th motors 3rd Mar-Div left Dong Ha & Quang-Tri nov 22nd. Welcome Home!
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Flying along on what was an unusually quiet day for VN when a bored grunt transmitted "This is God on guard wishing my son a happy birthday, God out.
    I guess GI's and God have a sense of humor.

Smoky. That day it was Scatback
  • SP4BSP4B Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Home, I got out Nov. 12 1969 so I was home haveing a good time.
    Christmas 68 I was at Black Hawk fire base.
    W.D.

Are you refering to B-Btry, 6/32 Arty, in 2 Corps.
    If so I was there at that time also.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    No, I was with the 2/1 Armoured Cav, you guys where on the same fire base. You where our artillery support. Thank you man, you guys did a hell of a job.
    W.D.
  • SP4BSP4B Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like Wise for you guys. My personal favorite to bring on a raid was a Duster over a Quad 50. Nothing like 40mm H.E. then 8" Beehive round to clear the wire. I was Generator Mechanic but always volunteered for guard duty to go on raids and help out the gun crews.
  • oldbuckaroooldbuckaroo Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I recall, Christmas '69 was pretty hot and humid in IIICTZ, in the shadows of Nui Ba Dinh, Tay Ninh province, with a detachment of the 175th USASA Operations Company, 303rd Bn, 509th Gp, IIFFV. We "celebrated" with lukewarm Carling Black Label in rusty cans.[:D]
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Black Mabel", ah the rusty cans were a norm. #2 cross point through the side and a "beer infusion".

Don't you miss it...not
  • cavman 69cavman 69 Member Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all we had was hamm's. did't you just love the taste of that beer after it sat in the sun for a couple months before we got it?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Edgarl1966
    I was Guard at Portsmouth Navel Prison...

I had a good buddy stationed there by the name of William Brace Henderson. I think he would have been a Sergeant or above, but he might have left for DI School before you reported aboard.
    What's next?
  • Dave Fisher15Dave Fisher15 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Watching Bob Hope in Long Binh.69, in 70 at Bear Cat watching the Thai's shoot up the preminter.
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Christmas eve 1969, I was sitting on top of a bunker drinking beer. We were on a heitened alert status-yellow I think, and the old man was walking the green line wishing everyone a Merry Christmas. I heard him go through down below-I wasn't officially there-so I yelled down at him as he came out, "Merry Christmas, Sir," and he yells, "who's that up there?" so I told him, and he asked what I was doing up there, and I told him I was getting drunk, and he yelled back, "carry on..." Just one of those times that stands out in my memory. Flapjack
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Getting drunk in Saigon.
  • mechwarrantmechwarrant Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Left country 23 Dec 69; made it home late the 24th; still wrapping my head around it all these years.
  • gatsxgatsx Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was one of the lucky to get to go see the Bob Hope show in Phu Bia.(I believe) Will never forget the tears flow from so many when Connie Stevens sang silent night. Got back to fire base before night fall. maned a bunker and returned to the real world.
  • ss409cidss409cid Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Christmas 69 Camp Enari. ETS 30 days later....