In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VA healthcare

binky59binky59 Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I'm new to this forum, and have been in the VA system for about 8yrs
VA here in upstate NY seems to be very good with the big stuff (heart attack,cancer,surgury. but don't take care of the small stuff that well. I just wondered if you are getting treated well in other parts of the US. I don't travel much, but other vets that I hang out with do, and they say that if they try to get treatment in another state they get treated like they're from another country. So much for sharing information!
Back soon
Binky59

Comments

• elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A+ in Reno, Nevada, and I live across the border in Calif. On my 65th birthday they scheduled me for a complete physical with two pages of blood work. Each year since they schedule me for an annual physical with the same doctor. I did a walk in for my flu shot and was out the door in about 15 minutes. [8D] Ed
  • romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get treated at the VA clinic at Ft Dix, N.J. I have a nurse practioner for treatment. She far outshines many of the doc's I have had in the civilian community. She is a saint...........
    I submitted a short articles about her excellent treatment in the DAV magazine. That was last year, but never saw my article.
    And the DAV asks us to send in things of interests. why ???
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get treated at the VA Hospital and outpatient clinic in Pittsburgh, PA and the care is outstanding. The facilities are spotless and the staff is friendly and caring. Initially, I went to the VA to see if I could get my prescriptions , they helped me with the paperwork and I was shocked when I received a service-connected disability. The nurse practioner asked if I wanted a physical exam; long story short, she did a very thourough exam and she now does all of my primary care. I had fairly intensive aviation medical exams for many years in private industry and the VA nurse practitioner actually did a much better job. I have nothing but good things to say about the care that I receive. I'm lucky enough to have private insurance, so I can go wherever I please, but I choose the VA.
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    My brother in law went into the VA for a pace maker. 3 days later he had a major heart attack and died. Seems the pace maker was defective. One would think they would check those things out before installing them.
  • lee shermanlee sherman Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been with the VA since Feb. 2011. Outstanding care and services. A full blown physical and an aorta bifemural bypass to correct lack of blood flow to the legs. My age is now 64 yrs. young. Once again great care from Livermore and Palo Alto Calif. facilities. [:)][:)][:)]
  • ginrickie1ginrickie1 Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am here in Orlando Florida. I have not had to go to the hospital yet except of my year end check up. I go to my doctor here at the Orlando clinic and she does every thing for me. I need a walker and a cane. no problem. I don't know what I would do with out them.
  • ochocoochoco Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oregon, 3rd world quality. Your not dealing with medical people your dealing with union government bureacrats. Doctor told me VA does not do preventive medicine. When agent orange doesn't kill you fast enough it's the VA's job to get you off the disability payments. Been waiting for a shingles shot for almost two years. They send you a card to call and make an appointment for a certain department, they make it with a different department that doesn't want to see you and will never make the appointment you need.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm extremely [:D] with them.
  • stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live in NYC and the VA has been the sole provider of medical care for me since I retired in 2001. Since that time, I have developed COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmanory Disorder) Which they are treating admirably. In addition, they have replaced one of my hips.
    I can offer nothing but praise for their care!
    I can truthfully state that the care I have received from them, not only in NYC, but also in Baltimore, MD, North Carolina and Virginia is much better than anything I have experienced in a civilian hospital.
  • john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get treated at the OKC VA (used to work there) and have been for 30 years. at one time I was seen every six months but with the influx of young 'vets from the Mideast, they call me in once per year which is alright since if I have a medical problem all I have to do is call them and they'll make me an appointment.
    The give me a periodic colonoscopy, sleep studies, eye exam, medicine up the kazoo, hearing aids and even arch supports.. They provide periodic colonoscopies, eye exams, sleep studies, upper nad lower GI studies etc. I used to work at the VA Hosp in OKC and they treated me faster because I could get back to patient care but since I retired they treat me like a veteran .
  • Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    there are differences between hospital leaders that set the pattern. In Washington state there are three hospitals: Seattle, Spokane, Vancouver. I'm not familiar with recent activities in Vancouver, but Seattle is first rate. I know vets that really like Spokane, but I've had nothing but static from them. I live in the Spokane catchment, but am closer to Seattle, so that's where I go. On two occasions the Seattle VA made decisions followed by medication/treatment that differed from my previous private sector doctors for which I'm sure has saved my life.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I',m in agreement with Ray, I live in Washington State, but go to the Portland Or. VA hospital. First rate hospital, right next to the OHSU hospital on top of what's known as "pill hill" in Portland. The V.A. in The Dalles Or. also provides some very good primary care doctors. I live right in the middle, it's about 50 miles either way.
    I have nothing but good things to say about the quality of care and service the V.A. provides in my area, they take good care of me.
    W.D.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    I think they are doing the best job they can. My brother works for the VA in a management position and he is constantly complaining about the lack of funding to cover their BASIC needs!!![:(]
    It is more important to to the present progressive administration to fund green energy then the VA!!![:(!]
  • john6012john6012 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I worked at the VA Hospital in OKC and I earned my pay ++! I remember one day a patient came in and wanted to call his dad because his dad was home alone and sick. The other VA employee was working with me said he couldn't use the phone and I said sure, it doesn't cost anything and he did but the other employee was ticked off at me for awhile.
    I can't understand why a worker would say a patient can't use the phone since it's no skin off anyone's nose.
    However, after retiring from the VA, I was treated like a real patient. The other day I went in for my annual visit and they did some lab work and said I had a UTI and prescribed Cipro and said they'd overnight the medication. To make along story short, two days later I went to my private MD who repeated the lab work and said I didn't hve a UTI but rx'd Cipro for 10 days (14 tablets) Then a couple of days later I got an Rx for Cipro (84 caplets). Odd, one of the doctors must not have been an A student in med school.... Anyway, I ratholed the 84 tabs for a rainy day.