In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

AK-47 / AK-74 hi-jacking

7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
edited June 2011 in US Military Veteran Forum
Hi vets. Thank you for your service.
Did any of you guys use captured AK-47 / AK-74 rifles? If so, how did you like them? Do any of you guys not like them til this day because they were the weapon of the enemy?

Comments

• flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey-I was in the delta, and we only saw Chi Com AK's. A $10 raise could be met with one in a poker game. As to your question, I am on the other side of the fence you suggested. I wouldn't have an "M-16" or any of its relatives, and am very fond of my M-70 AB2 Yugo AK (7.62X 39. )Flapjack
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    Their sound was so distinctive, if you picked one up and fired it you might have an airstrike called in on you! It would have been risky.

I'm with Flapjack, though. It's an awesome design and even the poorly-made ones worked well.
  • 70-10170-101 Member Posts: 1,006
    edited November -1
    I fired several captured AK-47s and like them very much. They weren't as accurate as the M-16A1 but the AK-47 was a better weapon because it was more reliable.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    IIRC the AK-74 was not used in Vietnam since it was not adopted by the Soviet Union 1974, and the outcome of the war was pretty much decided by then.