In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VC Question

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited April 2016 in US Military Veteran Forum
In "Green Berets," the John Wayne 1968 film, Captain Nim expresses intense hatred for the Viet Cong. Then, he tells the reporter, "I have VC on my own fire team."

How can that be?

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He suspected that members of his team were secretly VC.

And he was probably right.
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    We had VC working as day laborers in base camp. We caught the poop burner stepping off distance from the fence to the hooch's. You couldn't really trust any of them. The Mountain Yards, in the central high lands, where more trust worthy.
    W.D.
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    We had VC working as day laborers in base camp. We caught the poop burner stepping off distance from the fence to the hooch's. You couldn't really trust any of them. The Mountain Yards, in the central high lands, where more trust worthy.
    W.D.

The "Yards" were good people, saved my bacon.
    Smoky
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Chieu Hoi or (open arms) program was in operation when I was there. It was to receive surrendering enemy from the VC ranks and use them to gain intel. We also used them as scouts. In 1969 alone there were somewhere around 47,000 enemy fighters who came to our side. I recall seeing them sitting around drinking beer with ARVN soldiers attached to our unit.

As mentioned, the Montagnards are good people and good fighters, and loyal to US troops. They look like American Indians and were (are) treated like 3rd class citizens by the Vietnamese people.

Me with some yards visiting our firebase. They would come to get the wood crates our artillery rounds came in and make homes like we had (our bunkers) on right in picture.

IMG_2143.jpg
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lefty- you will find a lot of the Montagnard families in North Carolina- right down the road from Ft. Bragg. You are spot on- they were treated like crap by the Vietnamese. Some of the SF folks managed to get their former Montagnard troops and families out of Vietnam, and resettled them in NC.
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    We had one of the Chu Hoi's who survived an arclight! He said he wanted to be on the side that had that much fire power. I often wonder what happened to him.[:(]