In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gulf War Syndrome is real, reports say

Jacob2008Jacob2008 Member Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭
edited December 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_11009917

A congressionally mandated scientific panel has concluded that Gulf War syndrome is real and afflicts nearly one-quarter of the 700,000 U.S. troops who served in the 1991 conflict, according to a report released Monday.

The report broke with most earlier studies by concluding that two chemical exposures were direct causes of the disorder: the drug pyridostigmine bromide, given to troops to protect against nerve gas, and pesticides that were used - and often overused - to protect against sand flies and other pests.

"The extensive body of scientific research now available consistently indicates that Gulf War illness is real, that it is a result of neurotoxic exposures during Gulf War deployment, and that few veterans have recovered or substantially improved with time," according to the 450-page report presented to U.S. Secretary of Veterans Affairs James Peake.

The report bolstered the hopes of thousands of U.S. and allied veterans who have struggled to have their varied neurological symptoms, including memory loss, concentration problems, rashes and widespread pain, recognized by the government.

"I've had vets go to "... (Veterans Affairs) and be turned away and told that this is something that doesn't exist," said John Schwertfager, vice president of the National Gulf War Resource Center, a veterans advocacy group.

But some scientists were not convinced that the new report had found the long-sought smoking gun.
"Even though we know that the Department of Defense did ship pesticides, it doesn't mean that the people who were exposed to them were the ones who ended up having symptoms," said Dr. Lynn Goldman, a professor of environmental health services at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore who has worked on previous reports on the illness. "We felt that there needed to be better records of where people were, what they were exposed to and their prior health status going in."

The new report is the product of the Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses, which was chartered by Congress because many members felt that veterans were not receiving adequate care. The 15-member committee appointed in 2002 was made up of about two-thirds scientists and the rest veterans.

Several reports had been issued by the prestigious Institute of Medicine, an arm of the National Academy of Sciences, blaming stress and other unknown causes for the soldiers' symptoms.

"There's something about going to the gulf and serving in the gulf that has caused something bad and persistent and real, but we have not found any evidence for a specific cause," said Dr. Harold C. Sox, chairman of a 2000 institute study and editor of the journal Annals of Internal Medicine.

Veterans blame the reports for the difficulties they've faced in getting treatment.

"Everyone quotes the Institute of Medicine documents as meaning nothing's going on here," said Roberta F. White, associate dean of research at the Boston University School of Health and the congressional panel's scientific director. "Some people feel that the IOM reports have been permission to ignore these guys."

The new report cites dozens of research studies that have identified "objective biological measures" that distinguish veterans with the illness from healthy controls.

Thanks, Guys.

Comments

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jacob2008, you have mail. thanks for the post
  • AutonjAutonj Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    worked on the Gulf War Project in DC in 1995 to 1997.....talking about a cover up.
    They blew up the Bunker full of Chem rounds that they have pictures of now......before blowing up. When we were coming out of Iraq into Kuwait and SA.

Also this was Iraq chemical that we went war for this last time....nobody ever said anything! We blew it up by 82nd Demo Team another screw up.

Retired Army 2005
    SFC
    Chem Corps
  • CAPTDASHCAPTDASH Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a bunker full of chemical munitons as well. I also hauled a load of M1A1 tank munitons that were depleted uranium shells. I have had numerous problems with my breathing,lungs, sinuses, and all the SOBs at the VA tell me is I have allergies. If the VA spent as much time helping us, as they do fighting us, we all would be much better off. I was in PERFECT health before I went to Desert Storm, now I have a whole host of health issues directly related to serving over there, yet I can't find the right ear to listen to me. I have been turned down several times for disability on the grounds that I had pre existing conditions. That is totally false. If I was in such bad shape before deployed, then they should not have sent me to start with. It is all oatmeal, and now with the messiah in office, it will only get worse, as Liberals have NO respect for military personel.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Here is a little article talking about a few guys from my unit over there. It is an older article but describes some things.

My unit has had many of it's members (including myself) suffering from GWS and at least one has died that I know of.

http://archive.deseretnews.com/archive/553128/Has-US-turned-on-its-vets.html

I personally hauled some of the explosives they used to blow up Khamisiyah.
  • coltman42coltman42 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys should check out Dr. Robert Haley's (University of Texas SW med center at Dallas) research. I sounds very promising. I served as a Bn Chemical Officer in a combat unit in the XVIIIth Airborne during the ground offensive in 91. I have had a myriad of health problems since that led to a medically related retirement 1-1-09 at the ripe old age of 42. DOD has accepted Dr Haley's research but VA has not. I have been dealing with VA for 2 yrs now and could have a Disability rating if I admitted mental problems (I do not have any) they will not acknowledge "Gulf War Illness". I have spoken to Dr Haley Personally and he is a true believer and is "in the process of patenting a diagnostc test and a CURE" so don't give up hope. If you need aditional info Google Dr Haley and read the Army times article published on his research. You can also contact me. Thanks and God Bless You!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by coltman42
    You guys should check out Dr. Robert Haley's (University of Texas SW med center at Dallas) research. I sounds very promising. I served as a Bn Chemical Officer in a combat unit in the XVIIIth Airborne during the ground offensive in 91. I have had a myriad of health problems since that led to a medically related retirement 1-1-09 at the ripe old age of 42. DOD has accepted Dr Haley's research but VA has not. I have been dealing with VA for 2 yrs now and could have a Disability rating if I admitted mental problems (I do not have any) they will not acknowledge "Gulf War Illness". I have spoken to Dr Haley Personally and he is a true believer and is "in the process of patenting a diagnostc test and a CURE" so don't give up hope. If you need aditional info Google Dr Haley and read the Army times article published on his research. You can also contact me. Thanks and God Bless You!
    I believe in the last year or so they have started giving rateings for GWS.

My rateing for it does not specifically state GWS but rather "Undiagnossed Illnesses" because they were not recognizing GWS at the time (my rateing on this came back in 1994).

But weather you get a rateing for GWS or Undiagnossed Illnesses I would stay on them and fight it because eventually they will rate you for something towards it.

It took me over 10 years of fighting them to get my 100%. They started me at 10% when I recieved my medical discharge and I just kept fighting them.
    edited November -1
    My fight with them began 2yrs ago. I actually thought I'd be able to "work through" this and did until it became so dibilitating I had to medically retire. I can still manage things on a limited basis (2 to 4 hrs a day) VERY diffucult to accept. Fortunatly I have a private long term D.I. policy and my employer has been very helpful. I was very close to Kamisiyah when the munitions were destroyed, we were moved just prior to the demolition (I have pics of the mushroom cloud it made). I was a battalion level chemical officer at the time but did not learn of the sarin release until 2 yrs after the war. I still have all my civilian medical records back to 91, but my Military records "disappeared" in 92 while at FT. Sill. I also worked closley with our S-2 (Intel) and know of other things that happened. Anways it doesn't make much difference now as the damage is done. Hope still lies in Dr Haley's research but its still a few yrs away.
  • GULFWAR1GULFWAR1 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are right. I have been receiving 10% disability since 1993-94. The head aches, joint deterioration, skin lesions, bleeding gums, stomach problems etc.... They will never do anything for us. I have been playing the VA game since 1992. Too much coffee or caffein? NOT! I was just recently diagnosed w/PTSD. I do not really care about that. I just would like to be made whole again. I am sure the other Gulf War Vets would agree. I was w/an artillery battery. Desert shield/Storm 1990-1991. We spearheaded from the neutral zone into Iraq during the ground war, and met resistance w/ the Republican Guard in the middle of the night. After the resistance, the cease fire came and there were numerous explosions around our unit, and division. (A BTRY 1/82nd FA 1 CAV Div). I have pictures and memories but the pain doesn't seem to go away! God help us and our families. Support your 2nd amendment rights.
    edited November -1
    VA recently stopped funding University of Texas research because of paperwork issues. Please take the time to read on this issue and write your Congressman and Senators . Also if you are a member of a sevice org. let them know what's happening in D.C. and to approx 15% of Gulf Vets who are sick. My ordeal with the VA is coming to a conclusion after a hearing in which my medical records "showed up" and the things I claimed happened were documented. I will make it with or without thier help but am afraid there are many others that will be overlooked and eventually will give thier life for the Constitution from a illness that is not completly understood yet. Keep the pressure on. I plan to go to D.C. about this. DO WHAT YOU CAN TO HELP ALL THE OTHERS!
  • CurtaiCurtai Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I did a tour in Iraq from 06-07... I just applied for disability and I have a " We don't know whether its a Anxiety Disorder or PTSD" Diagnoses... But its getting me 30% and I am on my way back to Afghanistan sometime next summer, until they tell me I can''t...