In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VA tinnitus disability

Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
edited August 2017 in US Military Veteran Forum
Anyone here got a disability rating from the VA for tinnitus?

I am specifically interested if you applied for and got it after being discharged rather than diagnosed before discharge.

Comments

• wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it, but then I lost it because I couldn't get to the audiogram because of work. I'm going in again for it because it really bothers me.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    How can you lose your disability rating for a non-curable condition?
    edited November -1
    They wanted me to do further testing and I couldn't make the Appointment so they denied my claim. They also said that I didn't have enough evidence to support the scars on my shoulder and that they need more information about my surgeries. I brought them x-rays, mri film, pictures during and after surgery, and the surgeons write up of my surgery that I was Med- boarded out for. The VA is a joke. You go in for ten minutes and they pass judgement about how your life has been effected. They don't even pretend to care. The only thing they have done right is the VOC-rehab program that I'm in right now.
    edited November -1
    10 years ago I would have agreed with you. Lately my experiences have been the opposite of yours.

Heck a tinnitus rating can dang near be had based on your MOS and once you get a rating I am pretty sure it is a done deal.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    10 years ago I would have agreed with you. Lately my experiences have been the opposite of yours.

Heck a tinnitus rating can dang near be had based on your MOS and once you get a rating I am pretty sure it is a done deal.

I've heard that it varies greatly from state to state.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    It takes 10 years for a rating to become permanent unless you are rated as 100% T&P (T&P = Total and Permanent).

What that means is that if you do not keep up with your follow up appointments and ferther testing they can deside to either lower or take away your rating untill you hit that 10 year mark.
    edited November -1
    I did not know that. Thanks
  • keyholekeyhole Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 10% rating for tinnitus that I received in 1998. Still have it today!!!
  • oldwolf49oldwolf49 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a tinnitus rating for myself rated at 10%, the highest you can get for that kind of thing. Once you get a disability rating NO MATTER WHAT you can't lose it. They can suspend it if you fail to get to the "check up" appts. but that really takes a long time, you have to miss 5 appts. over a period of a year.
  • xarmcavxarmcav Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I served as an m1a1 crewman in first gulf war
    got 10% rating for tinnitus after discharge in 1993
    It helped me get a job with USPS
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I have a 0% rating for it, but it has been getting worse and worse. I will probably resubmit my claim for it again.
    edited November -1
    From what I understand it is a minimum 10% now for tinnitus. If I remember right someone sued the VA about tinnitus and they now have to rate it at a minimum of 10%.
  • tdawardtdaward Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    10% is corrrect.Had my ears checked before I got out and got the paper work started after I got out. Wasn't too difficult, just took time, we all know how the Goverernment works. If you have any record of the injury while active, it shouldn't be an issue. I've also got high range hearing loss in my right ear, partial in my left. They classify it by your best ear...that kind of sucks. Claymore mines make a big boom!
  • red65baronred65baron Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The last message is right. They automatically give you 10% for tinnitis. As long as you get a rating on any injury, it is documented and later on down the road if it gets worse, which it most likely will, your rating will go up. Just make sure you get anything and everything that aches or painful documented. Talk with a good VA or DAV Rep. They are there for us Vets. They will get you the right stuff...
    Corpsman Up!!!!!!
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 10% also, which is the MAXIMUM amount VA will give. I had a P2 profile for my hearing (which got me zero percent).
  • rstbkt69rstbkt69 Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing you need to think about is that if you have Tinnitus you probably have nerve damage as well. If you are like me pretty soon the quality of hearing degrades so much tha almost all I hear is the tinnitus. My original 10% on tinnitus changed to a total of 40% because of hearing loss from nerve damage. The hearing aids suck but at least I can somewhat hear the TV.
  • krazyshotkrazyshot Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a Viet Nam Vet and just recieved a 10% rating for it, 1st time I applied, also. I also got a 0% for hearing loss. I never knew, but I had hearing damage reported on my discharge records and just now heard about it during the process for applying for tinnitus, they never told me!
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I'm going through the process right now for it. I had my second appointment at the Salt lake VA hospital today,an MRI. I have to go back next week for another appoinment.
  • COBmmcmssCOBmmcmss Member Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by torosapo
    I'm going through the process right now for it. I had my second appointment at the Salt lake VA hospital today,an MRI. I have to go back next week for another appoinment.

Make sure you have your papers and tests together. If you miss one dotted I or one crossed T, then they (the V.A.) want to restart the process yet again. The longer they delay, the less they have to pay is their motto. My buddy was one of the claim adjusters in L.A. They got merit pay for denying claims. Go figure.

I did my time and retired in '94 with a 40% disability. I'm going through it again now and will likely be above 50% when I'm done. The key to it all... is paperwork, paperwork and... you thought I'd say paperwork??? nope - persistence. Stick with it and you'll finally win.

COB
  • freestate05freestate05 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got out in 2000, during my ETS briefing the VA rep told us to fill out a form and write down everything that was bothering us. I included the tinnitus among other things, was rated 0% for everything else but got the 10% for tinnitus. I had ZERO documentation, as it was never a complaint before, but during my VA physical to DR asked me questions and did my audio exam. Like the previous post, if you have a MOS in which you around loud equipment (i.e. generators) they realize this. Say that you didn't have time for ear protection because you were in a hurry (mission critical).

I recently increased one of my 0% ratings to 10% so now I am 20% total. It took a year but got back pay for it, so no worries. Contact your local DAV, AL for the state VA rep, they will help you with your claim, they know how to word the forms and get you what you deserve, they helped me!
  • rafterjgrafterjg Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I saw stated by another vet. I myself have tinnitis and I guess they got tired of me asking them to repeat themselves so they sent me to an audiologist which gave me a hearing aid after 4 months but still not paying me for hearing loss. it pisses you off but all takes time. A whole other topic also is I hate the rating system. I was told that if I would have applied for PTSD before one year of being out it would have been 50% but since I waited it was only 30%. And how does the VA count. if you look at my papers and total up each of my disabilities it equals 80% but yet that means 50% to the VA. How heartless are the people at the VA? getting paid to turn down claims. alot of them are veterans that work there. How the hell do they sleep at night. that money isn't coming out of their pocket, if uncle sam f'ed it up make him pay. but there are too many people that get told no that never go back and then have only bad things to say. My last job couldnt say this but I got let go because I was missing too many days for appointments. It's not even worth trying to prove my point about it though with this economy where it seems everyone knows someone that got laid off. oh well, it's like the VA a big pain in the *
  • rocknrodrocknrod Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Master Chief Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Catapults and Arresting Gear, retired. Think my ears dont ring?
    They make it so difficult to even see a vet doctor much less get a rating.
    When I retired my hearing exam didnt show it.
    But when I went to work and took an exam (suddenly) there is a problem.
    Those doctors seem to be there for one reason. To save the government money!
  • Walter JWalter J Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm 50% SC. I filed for tinniyus and got 10%, bu it did not add a thing to my compensation. They can have their 10% if they can make the ringing go away!
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I have a disability rating for tinnitus, and have had for awhile. (I was of the previous era.)

Prior to discharge the physician refused to document anything, or to recommend anything.

I was informed that anyone having any problems would have to go through the VA. etc.

It initially took a long while to get rated. Then was cut off for everything will President Regan's edict.

I'll never forget how he sent out the word to VA, that everyone that had more that less than a 30% disability rating was to be arbitrarily disallowed immediately! I knew folks that meant living on the street, instead of having a roof over theri heads!

Any folks that had more than a 30% disability rating were to be immediately reduced accordingly. Yeah, he was definitely very aware of disabled Vets, they and their families many sacrafices for their Great Nation. Former President Reagan I'm sure never forgot us, it was so simple taking money from disabled Vets, and then turning his back on the sorry state of affairs, Veterans Affairs that is!

No, he never forgot us, just took compensation, treatment, representation and respect from us. Every time that he thought of us it resulted in loosing that much more! He no doubt thought of us while on his death bed! [xx(]

I doubt that he was ever restless over what he did to all of us! [V]

He spoke very well ... he and his deeds were callused. [:(!]
  • StoBtruppenStoBtruppen Member Posts: 278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What I have found with the va is that you have to normally be unbelievably persistent as I have had to do for years and its just now going from amc to vba and seems to bounce back and forth now that they supposedly found my records after they were lost for so long.
    Tinnitus as any other rating needs to have a service connection although if there is any service connection from what I have seen it is normally awarded but not more than 10% for tinnitus.
    Tinnitus was supposed to be on my claim as well however in their infinite wisdom they put something else on there that I didn't even claim for and I told them but its still there, so I have to file that one again but I am fairly confident that it will be approved.
    Whatever you do don't give up and keep filing and calling and don't stop bugging them, if your vso doesn't seem to be doing his or her job then respectfully inquire and if it seems to you that they are not then get someone that will.
    Regards
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a pretty old topic, but I had very good luck with the Reno Nv. V.A. I filed for tinnitus on January 29, 2010. I was given a hearing test and answered some questions at the hospital in Reno on the 28th of July. I received a judgement in my favor from the V.A. on the 19th of August awarding me a 10% disability retroactive to February, the month after I filed the claim. I last served in Viet Nam in February of 1967, 43 and a 1/2 years ago. I am pleased with the service I received from the V.A. Eddie
  • torosapotorosapo Member Posts: 4,946
    edited November -1
    I finally got my disabilty 10% for hearing loss in one ear, the Doc said I can get a hearing aid for one ear only.
  • HogulaHogula Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got 10% when I retired in 2008. Also 10% for both knees and one shoulder, total 40%
  • flapjackflapjack Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the VFW or DAV to represent you, and be persistant with them and the VA. Don't get angry-don't go away-don't feel like they are singling you out-they do everybody the same way. Don't raise your voice-don't use profanity-don't do anything that could be considered as threatening, in any way. Use your congressman and senators. Claims are paid to the effective date, the date you filed a claim, so make sure you actually have filed a claim and know the date. It can really add up. Don't accept their rejection or reduction of your claim. Read what they say and rebut it-file an appeal. Guys and gals, this is just another part of the war-but it is fought in a complketely different way. You can read my experience on tinitus on the Viet Nam forum-I was the first to get comped for it back in the early 70's, thanks to my dear old Mom. I am 100% t&p now, and some of the absoulutes I have learned aree listed above, but the most important truth of my experience is that without Jesus, I wouldn't even be here to write this, and I would have never gotten anything from the Dept of Veterans affairs. Not religion, relationship, with THe Lord Jesus Christ. Flapjack.
  • saleensaleen Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never pursued a claim, but it is becoming more of an issue for me. I was an armored crewman in the first Gulf War, and when I ETS'd I was given the standard hearing test and told that there was some evidence of hearing loss, but nothing abnormal. At the time, I didn't have to ask people to repeat themselves all the time and at 24 I really didn't care about anything more than getting on with my life.

I decided to re-enlist in the National Guard in 2003, and was rejected at the MEPs station because of hearing. A waiver was granted, however, and I deployed in 2005-2006.

I'm now 44 years old, and almost cannot hold a conversation with any background noise at all. The ringing is constant and while it doesn't seem to be getting louder, my ability to hear anything besides the ringing is continuing to decline. Perhaps I'll pursue a claim, but to be honest $123 doesn't get my hearing back and today it doesn't buy much either.

Something is better than nothing though....

Saleen
    Desert Shield / Desert Storm
    OIF3
  • CKPW1CKPW1 Member Posts: 43
    edited November -1
    Yes, applied after my retirement from the National Guard after 31 years in the infantry. The army had identified my hearing loss and I was an H3. I had to get a wavier to deploy to Afghanistan. I was involved in a vehicle suicide bomber event that I still hear today. I got a 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tininess. My VA experience was excellent. I went to my local county VSO (A USS Cole survivor), filled out the paperwork, providing my documentation about the suicide bomber (I had documentation from the FOB about the estimated weight of the bomb). A few weeks later, I get a letter from the VA with a audiology appointment. I go to the appointment. I also arrive about two hours early hoping I can get in earlier as I wanted to do something else that day. The letter was very clear about where to go and I check in with a gentleman who says, yes I'm very early but he will see if I can get in early. Less than 10-15 minutes later, a nice young lady calls my name. Shortly, I'm in the booth taking the audiology test. After the test, she says, yes, I have some hearing loss and some range issues (something about the range a female voice is in). She says she cannot say how the VA will determine, and said I'll receive info in a few weeks. I did and got the 10%. Yes, I'll take it with no complaints. But, I think my wife would rather me not saying "Hu?" all the time. Also, the VA paid for my mileage from home to the VA!
    BKW