In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Foreign Legion in Desert Storm

ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
edited December 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
Just wondering if anyone interacted with them during the war and if so, what were they like in terms of military professionalism, training, discipline, etc.

Also curious to get anyone's opinion on their equipment.

I know this may seem like an open-ended thread, but it's late and I'd much rather get some first-person accounts as opposed to reading from some third-hand source of dubious reliability somewhere else online.

Comments

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I met this dude once at work. He was in the legion, went AWOL and wrote a book about it. Seemed OK to me.

Heres a link to browse or buy his book[8D]
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/0425202836/103-3446476-6181466
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    America needs a Foriegn Legion.
  • SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything personally about the Legion but friends of mine tell me that that brisk trade was done with a Legion mech unit (armored cars) and a Brit Airborne at the port in Al Jubail.

The big items both wanted were our green checkered ponchos, camo rain poncho and the poncho liner. They'd do their trading at the AAFES burger stand at the port and most of the time it strictly a cash affair.

To be honest, I never looked at anybody else when I came back to the port area. I just wanted a shower..A REALLY LONG ONE.. and to raid the care packages and the AAFES burgers. Thank god for the little Phillipino cooks they served it up right. LOL.
  • SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correction on my part, 'green smocks' not ponchos. Hate it when I do that.[:D]
  • rocatmanrocatman Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes we interacted with them, They were camped down the road from us outside KKMC. They were a support unit, and a wild bunch. 1 was a nam vet from california and he did most of the translating to the rest. we traded a pallot of mres for a pallot of theirs and 300 cases of pieiere {the bottled water}, they wanted to trade a case of grenades for one of the female soilders we had with us, but we didnt want them and heck she would of went willingly