In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

laptop for iaraq deployment

staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2008 in US Military Veteran Forum
i am a national guardsman and am being deployed to Iraq with the 56th styker brigade in the near future.

i would like to invest in a laptop for the downtime and whatnot. anyone who has already been there have a suggestion as to a good make?

Comments

• BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I didn't have one when I was deployed, so I don't have firsthand experience. I would think one that could be taken apart and blown out with compressed air would be ideal. I currently have an older model dell inspiron 1150, and it is easy to take apart, but I bet you want something newer. Talk with the tech guys at the standard shops (Bestbuy, CompUSA, etc.) and see what they think.

If all are about the same, as far as durability, I would suggest a Sony Vaio for performance. If that is out of your price range than HP makes good stuff at affordable prices (I just don't like Vista on a system that lacks the hardware to run it).
  • usafvldst2usafvldst2 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am currently deployed in the middle east and Myself and it seems like almost everyone else over here is or has purchased a Toshiba sattelite.The laptops are pretty good and you can find a reasonably priced one down range tax free for around $600.00.If you would rather wait till you are in country you could save some money on it by getting it at a PX/BX b/c as I said it is tax free and I can almost guarantee you there will be a PX.
  • staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info guys.

this will be my first actual deployment, all the old vets say there is a lot of downtime.
  • BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a good amount of downtime for me. I guess it depends on your MOS, I was an 11B so work was sporadic, although we did keep busy.[;)] The jobs like mechanic and so forth seemed to stay consistently busy. The downside for us was prioritizing gear, and since we often were out in the boonies a laptop was not top of the list, but if I went back I would try to take one.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If not already a member join the VFW and get the Dell Employee discount.

$600 for a new Dell laptop for VFW members.

I like MACs myself.
  • staind460staind460 Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am a 13F (forward Observer)in a stryker Unit and right now slotted as a driver so i have no clue what my Optempo will be once i get overthere
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get the cheapest laptop you can get. That way, you will not be too disappointed when it breaks, falls out of a helicopter, or is run over by a tank. I bought the cheapest I could find, and was very pleased when it lasted for another 2 years after I got back. I was not very gentle with it in my travels.
  • BigKev72BigKev72 Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with cce buy something cheap, it will not bankrupt you when you have to buy a replacement. I have had a couple of laptops post-military and the must durable one i have had was a panasonic toughbook, but they are expensive and as technology goes they are pretty behind the times usually. But they are a bit of a timex (takes a licking and keeps on ticking).
    I never had the misfortune to be able to have down time to use a laptop while deployed, used to be a big fan of the payphone and calling card though [:D]
  • lboogy90lboogy90 Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by staind460
    i am a national guardsman and am being deployed to Iraq with the 56th styker brigade in the near future.

i would like to invest in a laptop for the downtime and whatnot. anyone who has already been there have a suggestion as to a good make?

I was there in 2003 with 3rd Battalion 23rd Marines( Weapons Company), we didn't even have electricity. Everyone had all kinds of crap that we couldn't even plug in!
  • clinteasterlingclinteasterling Member Posts: 549 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a Toshiba from the px b/c they said it would hold up the best in all of the dust. By the way the dust over there will ruin any elctonics that are over there very long, so expect what ev. you buy to take a crap your last months there or shortly after your return.