In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Scuds

cahascahas Member Posts: 4,064
edited February 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
Anybody ever see a scud in the air? Saw one coming in 1 night,that was just burning out its fuel supply,and just sparks were emerging.looked like a huge backwards cigar going through the air and it was spiraling kind of like a bad football throw.What ran through my mind was what a piece of crap!I think i was grinning when i hollered at the boys to throw on their gas masks.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I saw several of them...even watched the patriots intercept them.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    As did I near Kobar(sp) Towers and at Log Base Echo.

After we moved into Iraq we saw more artillery and such.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC

+1. The Patriots are BA_ _ [^]
  • RonboRonbo Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cahas
    Anybody ever see a scud in the air? Saw one coming in 1 night,that was just burning out its fuel supply,and just sparks were emerging.looked like a huge backwards cigar going through the air and it was spiraling kind of like a bad football throw.What ran through my mind was what a piece of crap!I think i was grinning when i hollered at the boys to throw on their gas masks.

yep, the reason they flew that way was because Saddam had them modified to hold more fuel, to travel a longer distance. This threw off the balance they were built with. Made them about as accurate as a cheap slingshot [xx(]
  • sarge_3adsarge_3ad Member Posts: 8,387 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saw one land into the gulf when we were at Kobar Towers, first night of the air campaign. The next day I was on my way to TAA Henry. Some from my unit had to stay behind because their equipment hadn't arrived yet. They spent most of their time in mopp4, due to scud attacks.
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in Bahrain on business the night of 25 February, 1991. My host and I were having a barbecue in his back yard and saw a sparkling streak cross the sky to our north. This was followed by two explosions and then the air raid sirens across the island. Once back at the hotel, the scud impact in Dhahran was being reported. I had always assumed it was the missile we saw, and cahas's 'sparks' comments has pretty well confirmed it.

Though I spent two weeks in the Gulf in 1985 aboard the USS Leahy (CG-16), conflict, life, and death had little meaning at that time, but took on an entirely new significance that evening in February, 1991.

I have nothing but respect and gratitude for all of you who were there under fire, and will always hold a place in my heart for those that died that evening.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • rocatmanrocatman Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I saw many of them I saw 2 blown out of the sky above KKMC and several in Daman/Daharan in fact I was about a mile away when 1 was deflected into the barracks that killed several soilders near Daharan. It was a very sad night, and really brought the war home to me, well enough about that
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw a few of them during OIF near bagdad still on there transports with the launcher shot up. They are huge about 6ft wide and about 40ft long. Almost look like the old apallo space rockets when you drive by them.
  • chinook gunnerchinook gunner Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seen several of them get hit by Patriots while at Daharan Airfield.

We would say "it's five o'clock, do you know where your gas mask is at?" lol.

I was a Chinook Crewchief and we had our aircraft parked at the West Heliport at Daharan. One night the Patriot Battery launched from across the road from us.....it was about 100-150 yrds away. There was 2 very very loud booms from the launching missles. They went right over my head and then stright up into the low cloud cover. Then there were 2 bright flashes and then 2 very loud booms again. We ran for cover under our helicopeters and waited for the "all clear" We then had to wait for a UH-1 from over at the Mian tower to fly around and take air samples. It would take 30-45 minutes to get the "all clear". I was always one of the last to takeoff my mask. I did not trust the NBC people. After that particular attack some of the guys found pieces of the missles on the airfield not far from us.
    We left from Daharan on the 21st Jan for a far away Northwest Location Near the Iraqi boarder called AA PALM to fly support for the 82nd and 101st ABN.

While waiting for the ground war to start up North we got the sad news of the Barracks that was hit by a falling SCUD. The barracks was located about a mile or less from where we had our compound located prior to moving into the desert. I remeber it being near the TOYS R US we would pass everyday on the way to Daharan Airfield.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    My little brother was a Patriot Missile crewman. I will have to pick his brain when I see him.
  • CAPTDASHCAPTDASH Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rocatman
    Yes I saw many of them I saw 2 blown out of the sky above KKMC and several in Daman/Daharan in fact I was about a mile away when 1 was deflected into the barracks that killed several soilders near Daharan. It was a very sad night, and really brought the war home to me, well enough about that

Yes indeed, if you were at KKMC, a scud was hard to miss. I was on an outpost in the desert several miles outside KKMC. We saw scuds randomly & almost daily for a short period of time. A chopper pad nearby got hit by one that took out a Blackhawk, if I remember correctly.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rocatman

Yeah...me too...
  • dg101windg101win Member Posts: 751 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was at King Kahlied International Airport (not sure of spelling) on the Kings side with a tanker outfit. We saw the scuds going over nightly. Also watched the Patriots chasing after them. One was taken out overhead and pieces had to be cleaned up off the runways.