In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I can't remember their names.

amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
edited March 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
No crap. I don't remember hardly ANYONES name from my platoon/company that I went to Kuwait with. Every once in a while, it really bothers me. I can see the faces but can't remember any names. I remember one or two first names and that's about it. Man is that puzzling. I started noticing that about a year afterward as far as I can recollect.

I remember one persons name because my wife and his stayed in contact. I can't remember the CO, my plt cmnder.. nothin..
I hate this.

I spent 2 and a half years of my life with these folks. I was arty stuck in an 81 mortar platoon with the grunts in 3/5. I remember all the stuff we did, al lthe places we went and even all the missions around the world but I can't remember their names!!!!!

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    My memory is completely gone.
  • amsptcdsamsptcds Member Posts: 679
    edited November -1
    what the heck is with that?
    Do we wanna just wipe it out of our minds unconsciously? Or was it that daily rush of adrenaline that did it and we weren't there as long as the nam vets to be able to work our way through it?
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by amsptcds
    what the heck is with that?
    Do we wanna just wipe it out of our minds unconsciously? Or was it that daily rush of adrenaline that did it and we weren't there as long as the nam vets to be able to work our way through it?

my honest opinion is that it is due to whatever we were exposed to....and possibly the shots and pills...and who knows what else.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    I not only remember alot of names, but have been lucky enough to keep in touch with about 12-14 guys (of about 30 in the shop) and a number of pilots I went to DS with. We were a young bunch all told. When we went on our first boat together, I was the only one with sea time. I had chopped out direct to the squadron in the Gulf before C school for OJT. Most of the rest went to 261 and waited for the next boat. When I got back they took 263 out of the cruise cycle. I chopped over to 261 and went right back out to the Med. We did 3 rides together before DS. This included Panama in between, and countless dets otherwise. I consider myself lucky that circumstances worked out the way they did. It is rare for a group so large to spend better than 3 years together. A few of us went on to SOES together after that. 3 guys I spent the better part of 6 years with.
  • One shotOne shot Member Posts: 1,027
    edited November -1
    I have the same problem from time to time. I have found that sticky note help with the laps in short term memory.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    I not only remember alot of names, but have been lucky enough to keep in touch with about 12-14 guys (of about 30 in the shop) and a number of pilots I went to DS with. We were a young bunch all told. When we went on our first boat together, I was the only one with sea time. I had chopped out direct to the squadron in the Gulf before C school for OJT. Most of the rest went to 261 and waited for the next boat. When I got back they took 263 out of the cruise cycle. I chopped over to 261 and went right back out to the Med. We did 3 rides together before DS. This included Panama in between, and countless dets otherwise. I consider myself lucky that circumstances worked out the way they did. It is rare for a group so large to spend better than 3 years together. A few of us went on to SOES together after that. 3 guys I spent the better part of 6 years with.

Paul...

You did the panama thing? Army?
    If you know the history of the main assault plan, I just want you to know that I was there with 3/5 just a few weeks prior. We terrorized the he*ll out of them for about a month and a half.
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    Marines. Was there for a short period as a "SOC" detachment due to being freshly returned from a cruise. Purpose was combat SAR and medevac. Turned into transport after Noriega was captured. Went back to Florida with him.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by codenamepaul
    Marines. Was there for a short period as a "SOC" detachment due to being freshly returned from a cruise. Purpose was combat SAR and medevac. Turned into transport after Noriega was captured. Went back to Florida with him.

we were harrassing the pdf for almost three weeks straight. I mean literally: rear-ending them with the 50 cal hardbacks and locking and loading on them. Did some US vandalism and other things in the middle of the night you know I can't talk about here. It was a kick in the a*ss.

when the army used the plan, they dumped that one unit of marines in waist deep mud.... I won't forget that. If the pdf would have been there, they would have been slaughtered.