In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I guess I was naive...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
I found the desert and their culture (specifically Saudi Arabia) to be somehow mystical or magical while I was over there...and there was some kind of awesome beauty about the desert. At the time, I thought I would like to come back one day and see it again.

Looking back now, I don't know how I ever could have been so blind.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I can relate. I allways thought that I would like to go back and check it out more as a civilian. But looking at it on TV now I have to ask myself why?
    It looks filthy. And I don't think we would be welcomed there very well as a civilian.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done
    I can relate. I allways thought that I would like to go back and check it out more as a civilian. But looking at it on TV now I have to ask myself why?
    It looks filthy. And I don't think we would be welcomed there very well as a civilian.

The Saudi's sure seemed to like us while we were there during Desert Shield...how quickly things change...or maybe it's just that my eyes are now opened to the truth...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECC
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

The Saudi's sure seemed to like us while we were there during Desert Shield...how quickly things change...or maybe it's just that my eyes are now opened to the truth...

They put on a good act.
    I too was shield/storm. And they always seemed nice. But did you ever go shopping? They were always trying to get over on us with there prices.
    Me and a buddy of mine bought Zippo lighters there. We had gone in at differant times, bought the same lighters and they tried charging him almost 2x what they charged me. Later I found out another in my unit bought the same lighter at the same place and paid less than me. I learned after that to barter with them and you could always get a better price.
    The only place I felt we really were wanted was Kuwait. There the people were nice, and allways wanted to give us stuff.
  • Options
    SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I found the desert and their culture (specifically Saudi Arabia) to be somehow mystical or magical while I was over there...and there was some kind of awesome beauty about the desert. At the time, I thought I would like to come back one day and see it again.

Looking back now, I don't know how I ever could have been so blind.

I have to agree with you on the desert, the Al Narud, had some beautiful sunrises and sunsets. Something about the blowing sand and the gulf mist I'm told.

Visit? Nah, not hardly. However, when I'm in my geriatric years I'd like to go visit central Iraq and visit a little crossing on the Euphrates that we held. It was a very old stone bridge, if it hadn't been for all the CBU's scattered about I'd of liked to have read all the Brit names carved on it.