In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

VA disability and GI bill

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited July 2006 in US Military Veteran Forum
Does anyone know if I can draw both?

I am rated 100% total and permanant disabled, But would like to take some college courses.

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    When I was in, the GI Bill was only good for 10 years after you got out. My benefits have expired.
    edited November -1
    I didn't know that. I got my medical in 1992 so I guess mine is done too.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you're thinking of vocational rehabilitation. If you are more than 30% disabled the VA will pay for up to 4 years of college including books, tuition, everything, and a $450 subsidiary allowance(if full time) $325(3/4 time) and around $270(1/2 time). At the same time you will also collect your full disability payment. Here is the catch!!!If you use this Voc Rehab your G.I. Bill is useless(cannot use both) but look at the difference!
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    With the GI Bill you get a little bit of money every month to help pay for college.

With the VA's Disabled Vet Education Program they may pay for up to 4 years of college, all books, they pay you like $700-800 a month PLUS you get your non-taxable disability check.

But be warned the people running the VA Education program weren't hired to ensure everyone gets this benefit. They have a contractor handling the program here. You can't reach them by phone and they don't have a permanent office. VA Headquarters says it's there but I don't know where there is and when I call the phone number they gave me I get a guy who says he's nevered heard of the VA.
  • special-edspecial-ed Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    After graduation, you are expected to secure substantialy gainful employment. They will reduce you from 100% back to the highest VA rating you held prior to a total rating.
    They do not need to find you employment prior to the reduction.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ten year limit from the time you left active duty to the time you can use your G.I. Bill is correct.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    * R done,

Since you are 100% rated your wife now takes your ten point Veteran preference for Federal jobs. Some States have the same policy.

Let her work.[:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    * R done,

Since you are 100% rated your wife now takes your ten point Veteran preference for Federal jobs. Some States have the same policy.

Let her work.[:D][:D]

I got divorced From that BI*CH. She did nothing but bring me and the kids down doing her drugs and such. And she has never worked a day in her life.

While I was working I never expected her to work, I made great money and we really didn't need it.

Now that we are divorced and I have full custody of the kids, I don't even get a penny of child support. And I'm sure I never will. Heck she can't even send B-day or christmas gifts for the kids, or even make a phone call to talk to them.

But that is the way it goes. Me and the kids are better off without her around. She can continue to live in her cardboard box on the streets (last report I had she was in a homeless shelter).