In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Question?

smarsmar Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I work in a very large sporting goods store and we have alot of customers wishing to buy there son/daughter a handgun as a suprise gift before they deploy to iraq. are they allowed to take personal weapons over there? just wondering because they ask this all the time and i do not have an answer

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Most soldiers are not allowed to take personal weapons with them...that's not to say that some don't take them, but they are not allowed to.
  • BlackgunsBlackguns Member Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That would be nice if the military allowed you to carry a private handgun, even if they limited you to the 92FS. I know I felt comfortable having one as a gunner, which is strange considering the capabilities of a handgun vs rifle.
  • jakeeibjakeeib Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are not allowed to take them, but it can be done. You wont be able to get it back in the states though. All your mail is xrayed and you are shook down no less then 10 times by "customs" folks. I am sure it has been done but it sure isnt worth the trouble if you get caught.
    If you truly need on, like you are really in the fighting, you will find one in a raid that you can carry. Most of my squad leaders and I all had one. I had a brand new Glock found my first week in country during a raid. We found everything from .38 revolvers to gov issued 1911s.
    Most of the Infantry are not issued handguns and it is a huge help when trying to control a family or searching a house not having to wave your M-4 around.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    You can take weapons maybe not personal ones, we had unit bought weapons that we took. We were told by seveeral officers we couldn't carry illegal weapons. We ignored them and if they bothered us about it again we told our CO who called the CG, and crap rolls down hill. we never had the same problem from the same person 3 times.
  • wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to wittynbear, that's 'cause Force Recon right? They have alot of clout. I'd like to see an average line marine get the same treatment. LOL
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wildeman.7.62nato
    to wittynbear, that's 'cause Force Recon right? They have alot of clout. I'd like to see an average line marine get the same treatment. LOL

Its easy just quit giving a crap. A 1lt (not in my chain of command) who tried to tell me to get a haircut, change into a regulation uniform, and get rid of those unauthotized weapons. The first thing I told him was go away, then he started yelling which just pissed me off so I told him to leave me alone or someone would be picking his bleached bones out of the sand in 30 years and using his skull as an ashtray. He started yelling about he was an officer and I couldn't talk to him that way. I pushed him up against the wall and told him shut up, first of all you are a lt you can't do anything to me, second you don't have any clue who you are dealing with and third you are in a restricted area, that sign you passed said this is a restricted area so unless you want to spend the next 20 years of your life in leavenworth counting holes in ceiling tile I suggest you leave now. He went and told my commander, who told him he was lucky to be alive, he could have been shot for unauthotized entry in a restricted area. My commander came to talk to me and told me this lt come to him about me. He said he didn't know whether to give me a medal or shoot me. I said how about both. His only reply was you cocky SOB, to which I replied yes but we can talk about mom when I get back from patrol. Be very good at what you do and make friends in high places, you will be amazed what you can get away with.
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    easy not to care when you are not wearing a unit patch, or name tag.

For the rest of us we would find ourselves in front of the old man. Probably resulting in a pay cut.

Ever hear the old saying "only do what your * can afford".
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsuggs

For the rest of us we would find ourselves in front of the old man. Probably resulting in a pay cut.

I have heard that saying, and to me it was more important that people come back alive with the same ammount of holes they shipped out with. If they want to take my rank and money have at it. I had most of my money in allotments for that very reason. I knew however that my chain of command had my back. And I knew my commander had friends in very high places. There are lots of Alpha Hotels out there who cry and complain about minor crap that don't make any difference and is none of their business anyways. As long as this country exists there will be some paper pusher in the military somewhere who hates you because he feels you make him look bad and he will try to throw regulations, SOP's, etc. at you to make himself feel important. These are the people who need to be told ever so gently, go play hide and go f--k yourself. The bottom line is regardless of what some idiot paper pusher, who has never even dreamed of what combat is like, says You have to do what you know is right. If you know something is wrong and do nothing, you are just as guilty as the person doing it.
  • wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put it in a spare tire, works almost everytime, or if you have a "classified" strong box throw it in there. Customs can't touch that stuff.
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    quote:Originally posted by jsuggs

I have heard that saying, and to me it was more important that people come back alive with the same ammount of holes they shipped out with. If they want to take my rank and money have at it. I had most of my money in allotments for that very reason. I knew however that my chain of command had my back. And I knew my commander had friends in very high places. There are lots of Alpha Hotels out there who cry and complain about minor crap that don't make any difference and is none of their business anyways. As long as this country exists there will be some paper pusher in the military somewhere who hates you because he feels you make him look bad and he will try to throw regulations, SOP's, etc. at you to make himself feel important. These are the people who need to be told ever so gently, go play hide and go f--k yourself. The bottom line is regardless of what some idiot paper pusher, who has never even dreamed of what combat is like, says You have to do what you know is right. If you know something is wrong and do nothing, you are just as guilty as the person doing it.

WELL SAID[;)]
  • jsuggsjsuggs Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in Iraq we all caried Markovs for a backup. But we never carried them visable while on post. While not the best pistol in the world you cant beat the price FREE. Ammo is plentifull and just as cheap. Just take it drining a raid, and sell/ turn it in before you go home. I understand that now days the going price for one is about $40-$60 depending on the condition and amount of ammo that comes with it.
  • Atom242Atom242 Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    witty,
    I totally agree with you, before I ditched the BDU's I lost some pay and a stripe of two for knocking out a 1st lt. (worth all I lost by the way). You are totally correct, be good at what you do and make friends with people in high places and your career is much easier.