In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

for those who receive disability....

callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
I've been very fortunate to receive VA disability since my exit from the military. I still have one outstanding claim, which ended up appealing when they denied it (based on they sent me to the wrong kind of doctor for the condition).

Now my local VA rep is telling me it takes 2 years for the VA to process an appeal, and they're just going to arbitrarily make the decision, without even LISTENING to my claim. All I wanted them to do was send me to the right kind of doctor for a proper examination, and then I'll be OK with whatever decision they make.

But from I understand, they're not going to do that, they'll just make a decision again (in my opinion) based on incorrect information.

Is there a way for me to get someone to actually put my file in their hands and talk to them so they understand what I'm trying to do? It's so frustrating to just be a case file. I know they have a massive amount of veterans to deal with, but there's got to be a resource for me, right?

Hopefully?

Comments

• Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    I think it is based on the area and their workload.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I hope this is not the case...b/c I'm working on an appeal as well. My rep didn't say anything about a 2 year process...or the fact that we were not able to submit new information.?.?
  • wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by callktulu
    I've been very fortunate to receive VA disability since my exit from the military. I still have one outstanding claim, which ended up appealing when they denied it (based on they sent me to the wrong kind of doctor for the condition).

Now my local VA rep is telling me it takes 2 years for the VA to process an appeal, and they're just going to arbitrarily make the decision, without even LISTENING to my claim. All I wanted them to do was send me to the right kind of doctor for a proper examination, and then I'll be OK with whatever decision they make.

But from I understand, they're not going to do that, they'll just make a decision again (in my opinion) based on incorrect information.

Is there a way for me to get someone to actually put my file in their hands and talk to them so they understand what I'm trying to do? It's so frustrating to just be a case file. I know they have a massive amount of veterans to deal with, but there's got to be a resource for me, right?

Hopefully?

Hey, I know what your going through. You have to just keep trying and calling people, talk to the DAV rep, talk to the American Legion, call the VFW, use those pople that have gone through this before to help walk you thorugh it. I've had a lot of help from other vets who "know a guy" that can help. Usually these guys are more than willing to help and can get you a name and a number. Try calling your county VA rep, the guy in my county is a huge help.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    The couple of appeals that I did took 9 months to 1 year to complete after exams and such.

This is when I lived in California and everything was handled through the Oakland Regional office.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    Well under a year here. 3 months from start to finish is what I witnessed.
  • keyholekeyhole Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    callktulu go ahead and file the appeal. Make sure that you describe the situation of how they used the wrong doctor to diagnose your disability in your appeal. Then sit back and let the process take it's course. If you win the appeal you get the back pay, if you don't you can appeal it again.

Time is on your side. If you feel like you are getting the run around from the VA...start utilizing your e-mail skills and contact those at the top. We all know how certain items have a tendency to roll down hill.
  • GRIT_THISGRIT_THIS Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need a service rep. They work at your regional office. They are not employed by the V.A. They work on your behalf, representing you. They are free and you can choose any affiliation, DAV, VFW, American Legion, Order of the Purple Heart, etc. Alot of my fellow vets, including myself, use the DAV, but you decide.
  • callktulucallktulu Member Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I called, but they told me it's too soon to do anything. I'm just waiting and being patient.
  • 500grains500grains Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The way we treat veterans pisses me off to no end.
  • aap2aap2 Member Posts: 203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Callktulu: I tried in vain to get the VA to approve (or even find a record) of my SC claim without any luck..and I retired from the VA healthcare system, so I thought that I knew the system pretty well. Going from the top down didn't help, but when a VA rep took my case, I had my SC rating and 12 months of back pay within 6 months. I thought that this was amazing since my claim dated from 1974 and the records were supposedly lost in a fire etc...It's a lot of money that I thought that I would never see; hang in there and good things will happen.
  • bubbhabubbha Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Truthfully, if I knew how little the Government, and Citizens cared about the Serviceman, I would of never joined. It's bad enough we fight corporate wars so others can make money, but the total disregard and nonsense hoops U have to jump thru , forget it. I have my own healthcare thru my work. I want NO part of anything conected to the Military ever again. I did my time.
  • FSA0033FSA0033 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep on them. The Appeals process is time consuming. If the decision is not to your liking or expectations, you can submit another appeal with additional documentation for your injuries including witnesses, referrals, and proof. Don't let the administration deter you from getting proper compensation.

I was injured in Desert Storm by weightlifing in a competition sponsored by the base gym. I racked up my shoulder for awhile towards the end of my tour at Khobar towers. They lost my paperwork at the Infirmary. I didn't get a copy (my mistake). I've been getting the run-around because I can still do push-ups and lift small weights but I don't have full use of it. My point is that if and when they do compensate me for it, it will begin from the beginning of my claim. Back pay is nice when it finally gets to you. So, don't give up. Use the DAV, VFW, and your rep. The others gave good advice on seeking out their help. Good luck.
  • romerromer Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    for what it's worth. Years ago my brother-in-law, a WW2 vet, tried for disability for hearing loss (artillery crew). he was turned down a number of times. I kept sending him back to VA. Finally after 2 or 3 years they gave him the disabily and $20,000 back disabilty pay.
    When I got out, I too sought disability. However when I went to the VA for exam, my medical records were NOT there, but the doctor gave me an exam, and of course I was turned down because the doctor did not see anything (he did not know what to look for) I appealed, as my records were not available, and I was give a small disability pay without going back for another exam. figure that out...............