In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Veterans Disarmament Act

CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
edited April 2012 in US Military Veteran Forum
HR 2640('veterans disarmament act') signed into law 08JAN08. Anyone diagnosed with a mental illness/deficiency(IE; PTSD!!!)by a psychiatric professional will be placed on a federal NICS gun ban list.
"The biggest danger remains the danger for veterans..."-Gun Owners of America

http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2008/tle451-20080113-03.html
http://gunowners.org/a010808.htm
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1910016/posts

I just want to ensure all Vets know what their doing before they claim PTSD. If Vets seriously need help then by all means seek help. For those that "claim" PTSD just for disability... is it worth it?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I can assure you that as of this point they are not taking the guns of those diagnossed with PTSD but will agree that the potential is there with that law.

I am rated 100% for PTSD and still have my guns and my CWP.

If the day comes that they do try to take guns from Veterans who have been diagnosed with PTSD but not found to be a danger to anyone I will assure you that the law will be challanged in the Supreme Court and will end up being repealed back to needing to be adjudicated by a judge rather than the word of a doctor.
  • CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    Roger. A study proved the violent crime rate within PTSD sufferers and non PTSD individuals were virtually the same.
  • Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    *_r_done:

Well stated and true you are! [:)]

CbtEngr01:

What you reported, being the case, can you see the day when anyone would propose refusing CWP and /or FFLs to current or former military service personnel. [;)]

That would make about as much sense as taking weapons from currect and former LEOs! That would be the Day! [:0]
  • Jim RauJim Rau Member Posts: 3,550
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Alan Rushing

*_r_done:

Well stated and true you are! [:)]

CbtEngr01:

What you reported, being the case, can you see the day when anyone would propose refusing CWP and /or FFLs to current or former military service personnel. [;)]

That would make about as much sense as taking weapons from currect and former LEOs! That would be the Day! [:0]

That is the day in some places like Chicago and San Fransisco. If you give them an inch they will take a mile![:(!]
  • kcmoorekcmoore Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    buzzards. Good thing Jim and Jack are still my buddies.
  • JTacticalFirearmsJTacticalFirearms Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't give anyone any reasons to take your stuff away. Never let anything risk you losing your right to defend yourself with armed response. Plus it would suck to not be able to go to the shooting range for therapy [;)]
  • JTacticalFirearmsJTacticalFirearms Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I havent heard of anyone losing their rights but we don't want them to have any reasons to start.
  • braonanbraonan Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good idea, I mean awesome...the military is trying hard to get these guys to come forward, to get help. They run commercials on AFN all the time with the message that real warriors come forward and get help so they can continue to fight. That you wont hurt your promotion and you wont be viewed as weak. Well, this would just undermine all of that. The guys that need help don't need reasons to hide from a damning diagnosis that will follow them for years or forever.
  • buckstarbuckstar Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 70% service connected PTSD from the army and 100% +housebound from the VA for the same. After encouragement from a private message from a guy on this forum I have since purchased several guns and besides the salespeople looking at me funny for being jittery I haven't had a single problem yet. Most recent purchase was a few days ago so it looks like this is a non-issue for now.
  • Jim DoranJim Doran Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the rest of the story. VA will only report you to BATF if both your VA Mental Health Care Provider and your local VA Regional Office deem you incompetent.

I have seen that done about 40 times in the last 2 1/2 years. Every involved veteran, but 1, was heavy duty dementia, 80 or more years old. The other one was mid-level dementia and according to his wife, was physically unable to lift a long gun or hold a sidearm long enough to load it.

PTSD ONLY comes into play if the VA says you are a danger to others and/or to yourself AND a judge concurs to the point of having you commited, either voluntarily or involuntarily.

Here's the part the panic brokers left out:
    Requires the Attorney General to: (1) ensure that all NICS information received from federal agencies is kept accurate and confidential; (2) provide for the removal and destruction of obsolete and erroneous names and information from the NICS; and (3) work with states to encourage the development of computer systems for notifying the Attorney General when a court order has been issued or removed or a person has been adjudicated as mentally defective or committed to a mental institution. Prohibits federal agencies from providing a person's mental health or commitment information to the Attorney General if: (1) such information has been set aside or expunged or the person involved has been fully released or discharged from all mandatory treatment, supervision, or monitoring; (2) the person has been found to no longer suffer from a mental health condition or has been found to be rehabilitated; or (3) the adjudication or commitment is based solely on a medical finding of disability without a hearing and there has been no adjudication under the federal criminal code of mental defectiveness.
    Requires all federal agencies that adjudicate the mental health of individuals or commit such individuals to a mental institution to: (1) establish a program to allow such individuals to apply for relief from the disabilities to firearms ownership resulting from such adjudications or commitments; and (2) provide oral and written notice to any such individuals of the effect of a mental health adjudication or commitment on their ability to purchase or transport a firearm and their right to apply for relief from disabilities.