In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Berkley Vs. Marine Corps

wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
BERKELEY, Calif. - Local officials in this liberal city say it's time for the U.S. Marines to move out.

The City Council has voted to tell the Marines their downtown recruiting station is not welcome and "if recruiters choose to stay, they do so as uninvited and unwelcome guests."

The measure passed this week by a vote of 8-1.

The council also voted to explore enforcing a city anti-discrimination law, focusing on the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

In a separate item, the council voted, also 8-1, to give protest group Code Pink a parking space in front of the recruiting office once a week for six months and a free sound permit for protesting once a week.

Marine Capt. Richard Lund of the recruiting office declined comment on the council action.

The recruiting office opened in Berkeley about a year ago, operating quietly until about four months ago when Code Pink began regular sidewalk protests.

"I believe in the Code Pink cause. The Marines don't belong here, they shouldn't have come here, and they should leave," said Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates.

Code Pink is circulating petitions to get a measure on the ballot in November making it more difficult to open military recruiting offices in Berkeley if they are near homes, parks, schools, churches, libraries or health clinics.

Some employees and business owners aren't happy with the weekly protests.

"My husband's business is right upstairs, and this (protesting) is bordering on harassment," Dori Schmidt told the council. "I hope this stops."

Comments

• wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    Thats fine The Marines should leave Berkeley, let the liberal fags have it they probably don't get any decent recruits there anyways. When the Marines leave so should all federal programs and funds. When they complain they don't have any money for, whatever liberal fags do, then they can ask code pink for money.
  • wildeman.7.62natowildeman.7.62nato Member Posts: 201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wittynbear
    Thats fine The Marines should leave Berkeley, let the liberal fags have it they probably don't get any decent recruits there anyways. When the Marines leave so should all federal programs and funds. When they complain they don't have any money for, whatever friends do, then they can ask code pink for money.

I agree with that. These people are so ignorant, it's pretty rare that you get a Marine with who real doesn't want to be a Marine. I think we should send all the liberals over to Iraq and Afgahnastan for a month and those that survived would be begging the Marines to go over and kill every last towelhead. Liberals are so clueless.
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isnt this old news. I thought all of this BS with the City Council of Berkley and Code Pink was dealt with. The City backed down with their tails between their legs liked whipped dogs, when they found out they were going to loose federal funding for backing those F-Heads in code puke. Dont tell me it's starting all over again?? Maybe some sacrificial killings of the code pink officers and city council will help[:D][8D][:D][8D]. just joking, but these people are sick in the head
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pipe7
    Isnt this old news. I thought all of this BS with the City Council of Berkley and Code Pink was dealt with. The City backed down with their tails between their legs liked whipped dogs, when they found out they were going to loose federal funding for backing those F-Heads in code puke. Dont tell me it's starting all over again?? Maybe some sacrificial killings of the code pink officers and city council will help[:D][8D][:D][8D]. just joking, but these people are sick in the head

Sorry if it's old news, I was just recently brought to my attention.
  • CAPTDASHCAPTDASH Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I REALLY think we should eradicate these homegrown terrorist before we waste another bullet on a raghead. I am serious. These liberals are far more dangerous to the USA, than any raghead ever will be. The eradication should start at the top, and go down the chain of command. I bet after whacking a few of them, the rest might get the idea. We could always send them to Gitmo, and hous ethem with their friends, the terrorist who want to kill all of us. I hate fcking liberals, and all the atrocities they stand for.
  • wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CAPTDASH
    I REALLY think we should eradicate these homegrown terrorist before we waste another bullet on a raghead. I am serious. These liberals are far more dangerous to the USA, than any raghead ever will be. The eradication should start at the top, and go down the chain of command. I bet after whacking a few of them, the rest might get the idea. We could always send them to Gitmo, and hous ethem with their friends, the terrorist who want to kill all of us. I hate fcking liberals, and all the atrocities they stand for.

Don't even have to do that just get rid of the laws that protect these idiots from themselves. They are dumb enough to kill themselves. The idiots at the top that keep them believing that the government should tell them everything to ensure their safety would lose their power because their base would effectively be committing suicide by stupidity.
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets put rock salt in all their jars of Vaseline !
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by widowmaker
    Lets put rock salt in all their jars of Vaseline !

I doubt that would slow them down.
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wildeman.7.62nato
    quote:Originally posted by pipe7

No baggin on you Wildeman, I thought maybe it started up again

Sorry if it's old news, I was just recently brought to my attention.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    The response to Berkeley.

quote:In Washington, a group of Republican lawmakers have introduced the Semper Fi Act of 2008 -- named after the Marine motto -- to rescind more than $2 million of funds for Berkeley and transfer it to the Marine Corps.

"Like most Americans, I really get disturbed when taxpayer money goes to institutions which proceed to take votes, make policy or make statements that really denigrate the military," said Sen. David Vitter, R-Louisiana, a co-sponsor of the bill.

He told CNN he believes the bill will pass. "I think it's going to have significant support."

The bill's co-sponsor, Sen. Jim DeMint, R-South Carolina, said in a written statement, "Berkeley needs to learn that their actions have consequences."
    edited November -1
    Guess taking their money did nothing.

quote:Recruiting Center Trashed in Berkeley

March 20, 2009
    Oakland Tribune
    BERKELEY, Calif. -- Windows were smashed and red paint was splashed Wednesday night on the Marine Corps recruiting center, which has been the target of protests for the past 18 months. The incident, which came on the eve of the sixth anniversary of the Iraq war, was caught on tape by a surveillance camera about 8:55 p.m. at the center in downtown Berkeley, police said. Police have not made any arrests but are reviewing the tape, Sgt. Mary Kusmiss said. Police did arrest a "person of interest" not far from the recruiting center on an unrelated warrant Wednesday night. Police found a sledgehammer and a crowbar in a nearby garbage can that they are reviewing as evidence. After breaking windows and defacing the Marine Corps logo at the center, the half-dozen vandals wearing dark clothing scattered in three different directions, police said. The suspects' faces were covered, police said. In addition to the video, police said about six people witnessed the incident. Sasha Shamszad, owner of the building at 64 Shattuck Square, said that replacing the two plate glass windows, which were peppered with fist-size holes and red paint that looks like blood, will cost $4,000 to $5,000. "There are so many other ways to express your feelings besides destroying things," Shamszad said. "This is just stupid." Shamszad said he has never had any intention of asking the Marines to leave their spot because the rental is just business. "They're just another tenant," he said. "You can't pick and choose your tenants by politics because everyone thinks differently. I'm a professional." Shamszad said there is a video camera next to the windows that the vandals smashed, so he does not think it will be too difficult to identify them. The windows were boarded with plywood Wednesday night and early Thursday but were being replaced Thursday afternoon. CodePink and other anti-war groups have protested in front of the recruiting center since fall 2007. The groups say the Marines do not belong in liberal Berkeley and that they should find a new spot for their center. The Marines have a lease through the end of this year and have said they have no plans to leave before then, a spokeswoman repeatedly has said. Last year, the situation heated up when the Berkeley City Council called the Marines "uninvited and unwelcome intruders" and made clear its intention to send a letter to the Marines stating that sentiment. The council's statement set off a firestorm with everyone from Republican lawmakers, who threatened to pull money earmarked for the city, to military mothers, who rallied in front of City Hall. The council later voted 7-2 to pull back on its original intention to send a letter and instead issued a new statement, acknowledging "the recruiters' right to locate in our city and the right of others to protest or support their presence."