In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Disability for hearing loss

BobsbulletsBobsbullets Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
Howdy -

I was in from 1989-2000. First Gulf War - I was around LOTS of gunfire, explosives, and worked in and around aircraft. Most of which w/o ear protection.

When I was in, my hearing tests got worse every year, and continue to get worse as I get older (i'm 38 now).

I went on the VA website looking around, that claim paperwork seems impossible to fill out properly - I have no idea what to put in for dates, etc. Its seems overwhelming - Are there any firms out there government or private that help Vets with VA paperwork?

I realize that my issues are small in comparison to current Vets, I am just worried if I don't document the stuff now - I could be deaf in 10-20 years and it will be to late.

Suggestions?

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Get a rep from the VFW, DAV, or AMVETS to help you with all the paper work. All of these organizations have people who are trained in this area and can do a much better job that yourself with that paperwork (at least untill you learn it better).

They will sit down with you and go over everything and get dates and such (to the best of your memory) and make sure the paperwork is filled out correctly.
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The BEST organization to join if you need help and support with a disability claim is the DAV--the DISABLED american veterans. I belong to the DAV, VFW, and AMVETS. The VFW and AMVETS are fine social support groups that have very little clout or expertise with regard to the filing and pursuit of disability claims. Just mho--based on my personal experience....... widowmaker, SSG. US ARMY, RVN 1968-1969
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by widowmaker
    The BEST organization to join if you need help and support with a disability claim is the DAV--the DISABLED american veterans. I belong to the DAV, VFW, and AMVETS. The VFW and AMVETS are fine social support groups that have very little clout or expertise with regard to the filing and pursuit of disability claims. Just mho--based on my personal experience....... widowmaker, SSG. US ARMY, RVN 1968-1969
    That depends on the rep.

One of the finest reps I know is from AMVETS (not sure if he is retired now or not). He is out of Reno NV.

He really knew his stuff and I learned alot from him on handleing my case.

But you are right in the fact that the reps from DAV do get more training and experience usually than the other organizations.

All in all you must also be comfortable with who you choose as well. You basically are picking and lawyer to represent you in your case (not really but not much difference either).
  • rawhide54rawhide54 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on what state you're in, you may be able to get help at the county. In Wisconsin, most counties have a veteran's service agent on the county staff who is there to help you with claims and problems. It might be worth checking on.
  • grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    I used the county rep. Good guys and they are there just for you. Matter of a fact if your claim is denied it looks bad on them.
  • rylovedayryloveday Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bobsbullets
    Howdy -

I was in from 1989-2000. First Gulf War - I was around LOTS of gunfire, explosives, and worked in and around aircraft. Most of which w/o ear protection.

When I was in, my hearing tests got worse every year, and continue to get worse as I get older (i'm 38 now).

I went on the VA website looking around, that claim paperwork seems impossible to fill out properly - I have no idea what to put in for dates, etc. Its seems overwhelming - Are there any firms out there government or private that help Vets with VA paperwork?

I realize that my issues are small in comparison to current Vets, I am just worried if I don't document the stuff now - I could be deaf in 10-20 years and it will be to late.

Suggestions?
  • widowmakerwidowmaker Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for your service. It's part of the grand scheme to overwhelm you with the enormity of the paperwork--that way you will forget about your claim,and go away. Don't get discouraged--YOU CAN DO THIS. Take the application 1 page at a time, and answer the questions one at a time. Go slowly--nobody's chasing you ! Gather whatever documents you need. If you don't have them-get copies. For the most part the military knows where you were each day--your name appears on a Unit's duty roster. So if you say you were someplace,they know you were. Use the computer--you can find out how many rockets hit a certain base on a certain date-just try to narrow it down as best you can. When you've done what you can--go to the local Veterans' Affairs office and have them fine tune your stuff. Hearing claims are generally a slam dunk. If your MOS places you in a noisy environment and your hearing tests document a hearing loss you should have NO PROBLEM Join the Disabled American Veterans--they will DEFINITELY help you. Good luck............................g
  • brunsjtbrunsjt Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    prepare to be denied seemingly never-endingly. In the old days when hearing claims were 1st submitted, they granted them. Gradually in the future as aircraft got louder,etc and military members got more,um,resourceful the hearing claims increased and the VA started giving lower & lower percAentages granted,then zero percent, and then ultimately denying outright altogether the claims.

What can you do about this? File a claim anyway,the sooner the better to get a start/pay/compensation/pension date. If denied,you have one year from the date of the letter to file a disagreement. Keep it going,don't forget,always make appointments.
    The VA will make hearing appointments for you. They will turn the volume up and deny your claim saying your hearing is equal and fine or perfect in both ears.
    Keep rebuttal letters flying back,as fast as possible,and on and on and on.

Don't go alone to appointments,take at least one witness if not more with you to hear what they say to you at all times. They will tell you one thing and file another. Record this and always go home,write a brief diary page of events that transpired that day,names,dates,etc.

Been there done that,did that got the tshirt. Good luck.

Sgt USMC
    Disabled GULF WAR/OIF/OEF Vet
  • theheretictheheretic Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    funny thing is, idid 22 years including ds and other deployments and the retirement physical said my hearing got better since i joined, what gives there? must have really pushed the buttons this time
  • oldwolf49oldwolf49 Member Posts: 73 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spent several years on ships, spent some time on the sand in '91, hearing loss was par for the course and the way things are now ANYONE can apply for a disability rating, problem is you have to apply to be examined and then wait for (last time I checked) about 2 years for them to get through the backlog of vets applying. Call your local VA facility and they can get you the number to call. It never hurts to get examined and they will back date your disability if you are found to have one from the date you initially apply so get started ASAP.