In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Vets from IRAQ, what to send to employee?

moreammoplzmoreammoplz Member Posts: 463 ✭✭✭
edited January 2007 in US Military Veteran Forum
My office has our transportation supervisor serving in Iraq. We get emails every so often about how he is doing. I have asked if there is anything we can send him. He asks for Beef Jerky, current hunting magazines and a certain brand of razor.

The office is trying to put a package together and I was looking for some advice on what we could send him????? I am looking for suggestions of small items (Around $20) that different people could buy and put into a care package for the holidays.

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• JWolfJWolf Member Posts: 1,901
    edited November -1
    if he doesnt already have one a few of you could throw in and get him a PSP with some movies and games. Iraq can be boring as he77 sometimes.
  • Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    One of the big things he'll need is Batteries, all of those eletronic goodies need fuel, I would 2nd the idea of reading matterial and snack foods
  • beasterbeaster Member Posts: 86 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I was there some people at my home office sent me music CD's that were burned by their Kids in school. It was a big hit with my friends and me. It also made the kids good to be helping.
  • sawbonessawbones Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the sandbox in '04 and just recently got back from another deployment. My tour in Iraq was some time ago now. But one thing that a service man never seems to have enough of is socks. It sounds foolish but you're not always where you have a px or exchange nearby.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right now is probably the coldest or leading into the coldest time of year in Iraq. The military furnishes the polypropelene thermal undergarments but they didn't quite cut it when I was there. I was in Tal'Afar/Mosul region. They've actually seen snow out in those parts. You are somewhat limited to how much layering you can do before the body armor doesn't close in the front.

The best gift you can give someone IMHO is Under Armour cold weather undergarments. I wore that stuff daily. I wore the hot weather tshirts when it was hot out and the cold weather gear from January through early March.

It's rather expensive so I don't know what your budget is but it's something to consider.