In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

gunsmith needing a job

nagant50nagant50 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
edited November 2009 in US Military Veteran Forum
I am college educated gunsmith and a Veteran. I went to murry state jr college in OK. I have a associates degree in gunsmithing and I can do a lot of different things but my favorite is to restore old guns back to their former glory. I can color case harden and I really like doing that the colors you get from that process are so cool. I can do blueing too and like that process also. I can do slow rust blueing and belgium blueing too. I can work on stocks and barrels. I am reaching out to my fellow gun enthuist to help me find a job in gunsmithing I am willing to relocate for the job any help will be appreciated contact me at rpurcella38@yahoo.com I am currently living in north carolina in a little town called hertford
thank you

Comments

• Options
    SpotterSpotter Member Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if you tried a on-line weapon repair/etc. business or even a 'gunshow/swapmeet' business. The idea is the for the average joe to bring you what he couldn't fix or maybe what he wants to do but lacks the skill. I noticed 'smiths in my area are awfully fond of telling what you need rather than what you want and are happy to charge you plenty for it.

I have zero 'smith training other than watching DVD's and handling my own weapons but I do a fair amount of business fixing other peoples hobbies gone wrong. I imagine you'd make some money and if you keep it affordable with perhaps some specialty work you'd might do well.

Before I get crucified by all the legal types, I'm sure you will do your research before you take my ideas to heart. Good luck.
  • Options
    BergtrefferBergtreffer Member Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just now saw your post regarding looking for a job. I live in Prescott, Arizona; a really great location. You might give a call to the following two businesses. One is in Prescott, and the second is in Chino Valley, about 20 miles north of Prescott.

1. J&G Sales, 440 Miller Valley Road, Prescott 86301, telephone: area 928--445-9650. J&G is the largest guns/ammo sales business in Prescott; they advertise nationally. I know from experience that the gun fixer in J&G is busy as a one-armed house painter. They maybe could use a second man there.

2. Mazy's (a gun shop that advertises gun servicing), 396 West Road 3 North, Chino Valley, AZ 86323. Telephone area 928--636-1262. I have heard from other gun owners that Mazy's is slower to get gun sevicing finished, possibly because they have not been able to hold onto a good gun guy. Chino Valley is a community and surrounding area that has people living on 2, 5, 10 acre lots, and a number of the folks have horses, goats, etc. It is way more "country" than Prescott is. Also there are still live, roaming antelope walking and grazing throughout the area.

Good luck.
  • Options
    RichardCRichardC Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Negant50, You seem very qualified. To start off with, before you find that ideal job, you could list on {elsewhere} and do work for people within driving range. Good luck I'm sure you'll do well.